yesterday

goatschool

Sep 12, 2002
www.youtube.com
purchasing gas (for my car) and coffee at a remote convenient store (do Massachusetts people know the Stewart's chain?), i wander into a scene where two employees are assisting a very old man who is apparently senile.

he was complaining that the gas pump didn't work. so the younger worker went out with him. after the older, mouth agape cashier rang me up, she came back in and explained that the man thought a Stewart's sticker on the pump station was actually a button, thus he couldn't get it to work.

she laughed and said "i hope i never get that old and like that"

the cashier dude goes "i hope i'm dead if i get like that"

that asshole! granted, that is a shitty situation and you could get hurt or hurt others so easily... but if you could keep a shred of your faculties, imagine making the most of a life like that. it could be interesting, at the very least.

for the life of me, i can't remember the noted painter who underwent a decrepitating nerve disorder toward the end of his life and had to be placed in a wheelchair. the story goes that he began to draw murals with a piece of charcoal or chalk on the end of a long stick of reed. the reed wobbled all over the place, almost out of control. one of his nurses took concern and offered to lower the mural, or bring his wheelchair closer. he shot her a look and smiled and said "NO, THIS IS WONDERFUL!"

ugh i used to have to go to stew's in hudson NY when all the great barrington convenience stores closed! WORST CANDY SELECTION EVER.

also, you know... i think people say those things without even thinking. it's sort of like 'phew! cold out today eh?' like, everyone fears getting old and feels like the status they have is of course the best way to be. no one quite understands that being old totally fucking rules. their loss! more room for crazy weird old people clothes for us nick.

Originally posted by the_preppy
more room for crazy weird old people clothes for us nick.

YEAHHHHH! but like, i need that kind of wardrobe now!

anyhow, i agree with most people just blurting that out due to fear of the unknown. but... HE WAS PRESSING A STICKER, and the way the dude said it had more than a hint of disgust in his voice.

i'm a hypocrite though... i get really mad when older people drive slow.

it would be funny to see that kid and his cashier friend zapped back to the 1930's and they'd be fucking pushing all the wrong buttons and driving cars into walls. with the laws of accelerated returns working with our technology, what do they expect? poor old people have a lot of weird gadgety shit to keep up with!

at least the old guy was nice about it. 75% of old people wouldn't have asked for help, but instead bitched and cursed and refused to learn. I figure if someone admits they don't know what's up and need some help, they are more or less immune to ridicule.