Yngwie Malmsteen

Silent Song said:
Yngwie is too mechanical to comprehend the subtleties of playing melodically such as someone like Santana, who is imo the king of voicing.
I'm just going to say I disagree with everything you said. Yngwie, mechanical? His melodies and runs flow effortlessly (to my ears, at least).

The rest of the stuff (such as Yngwie not comprehending subtleties in music and Santana's phrasing) I'm not going to go into, since they're opinionated and no one here knows what Yngwie thinks when he writes music.

Mark Twain once critiqued the Fenimore Cooper's The Deerslayer in an essay. He thought it sucked, and after quoting a few people who praised the novel, his response was, "It was far from right for the Proferssor of English Literature at Yale, the Professor of English Literature in Columbia, and Wilkie Collins to deliver opinions on Cooper's literature without having read some of it. It would have been much more decorous to keep silent and let persons talk who have read Cooper."

I believe the same can be said in your case, Silent Song. Yngwie is anything but mechanical. Perhaps you should get yourself a copy of Fire and Ice before you go around making claims about someone you don't seem at all familiar with. A lot of people don't like Yngwie's playing or his music, but to call him mechanical displays how unfamiliar you are with his music. Just listen to his soloing in the intro of Leviathan, or the entire song for that matter, and tell me that he is too mechanical. Have a listen to Far Beyond the Sun and tell me that he is mechanical and cannot play melodically.

Seriously people...if you're going to critique somebody, at least know who you are talking about and what you are claiming about them. If you don't like Malmsteen, that's one thing, but if you are going to make bold claims like some people have been doing in this thread, you'd better be ready for someone to call you out when you start bullshitting to try and justify your opinion, even though you're just going to wind up showing how little you know about what you are saying...

Yngwie is a genius at guitar. He may be an arrogant prick and write really trite lyrics, but he was the groundbreaking guitarist. While all of the song is good, from 4:18 onwards in "Far Beyond the Sun" is incredible shredding. Yngwie's shredding is far more than just scales, he is incredibly melodic, too. He does a lot of showboating on stage, but I can't knock him because he is a fucking genius. So, I must stand in awe of his guitar prowess.

dargormudshark said:
At his concert in March I was right in front of him and I fell asleep during one of his many solo's. Even Rusty Cooley and the other members of Outworld left the show.

And I would hope that anyone, with any sort of sense or logic, could care less about what Rusty Cooley thinks. Cooley's ego is painfully obnoxious, and highly severe on a level most can't comprehend. It's funny how his inflated arrogance is just as bad as Malmsteen's (possibly worse) and he's never experienced any real success in his career. He shreds really fast on an 8-string guitar ... it's been done before, Rusty, get over yourself.

We can continue to bash Yngwie long after he passes on, but it will never change the fact that he did something for the guitar in the 80's. He's not anymore, and sadly, he believes that he is. Regardless, he is a legend and has experienced success far superior to the likes of punks like Cooley and others who believe they're the best to come along.

ABQShredHead said:
I have to disagree with you there. Growing up in the middle of the neo-classical hubbub started by Mr. Malmsteen, I cannot say any other guitar player would have started the movement he started. Even Paul Gilbert said he went back to the woodshed to completely revamp his technique after seeing and hearing Yngwie. His impact on music is much too profound to merely say somebody else would have done the same thing he did.

I still remember the first time I heard him and I remember the reactions of all the local "talent" to his first cassettes (or vinyl, as Jax alluded to). Back at that time, it was all Van Halen and tap this and tap that, and anything fast was pentatonic. Yngwie completely changed the face of rock guitar. Give him his due. You may say what you want about his modern stuff or that you simply do not like his music, but you cannot diminish the impact he had on the guitar in modern music.

Word.

Liquid Shadow said:
Seriously people...if you're going to critique somebody, at least know who you are talking about and what you are claiming about them. If you don't like Malmsteen, that's one thing, but if you are going to make bold claims like some people have been doing in this thread, you'd better be ready for someone to call you out when you start bullshitting to try and justify your opinion, even though you're just going to wind up showing how little you know about what you are saying...

Touché. Every time I read opinions on the internet about Yngwie, there are always many who blindly bash him and his music without basis for their arguments.

The first time I heard an Yngwie track was a few years ago which was I Am A Viking and I've not stopped listening since then. I only wish I could have found his music sooner.

Yngwie completely changed the face of rock guitar. Give him his due. You may say what you want about his modern stuff or that you simply do not like his music, but you cannot diminish the impact he had on the guitar in modern music.

now this i can agree with. i just don't think he's still innovative now. he bores me with his endless wankery that never seems to go anywhere new

I have to agree that Yngwie Malmsteen's recent material is pallid and weak, when compared to what he was doing in the early 1980's.

BTW: Before "RISING FORCE" was released, Yngwie Malmsteen was the lead guitarist for ALCATRAZZ and an even more obscure band called STEELER.
B00006BGXQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
B000001066.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Both are excellent albums. Steeler broke up quickly. Ron Keel formed Keel, and Yngwie Malmsteen went into Alcatrazz; ' No Parole From Rock and Roll' is their only noteworthy album.