You opinion on my mix contest entry

James-Doolan

Jun 6, 2007
Sydney
Ok so i was a little bored today so i decided to have a go at the mix contest they are running over on http://recordingreview.com/

I reamped the guitars through my mesa dual rec and 6505 (both 808 boosted) into mesa os 4x12 miced with sm57 and sm7b

I just want to run the mix by some of guys here who have better monitoring setups than me and see what you think.

mix is about 80% done at this stage still have some more automation to do ect

Anyways here is the link http://dl.dropbox.com/u/749671/Bearing Teeth mix 4.mp3

let me know what you guys think:)

The mix sounds good without a doubt. But I think that the guitars are a bit mufled and have too much low end, the low end is also a bit undefined.

The mix sounds good without a doubt. But I think that the guitars are a bit mufled and have too much low end, the low end is also a bit undefined.

Yea i get what your saying about the guitars alright it was pretty hard to get them sounding defined as the performance is pants (imo) I mignt try some compression on the low end though and see if that improves matters.

When you say the low end is also a bit undefined are you talking specifically about the guitars or the whole mix?

I heard again and seems that the guitars and the bass are fighting each other. The guitars have too low end but the bass seems to be boomy also. Try to put each instrument in their places. Cut some low end in the guitars and if needed cut also some low frequencies in the bass.

hm vocals are too loud imo (or was the contest only about the guitars?)
overheads are a bit too much in the background

+1 to Nunos opinion on the bass freqs.

but i think the guitarsound fits the song very well

I think this last version sounds much better. It has the clarity needed.

Cool i was afraid i might have taken to much meat out of the guitars my compressing the low mid region by about 6db gr on peaks also scooped the 500hz area of the bass sound by a few db but it did clear it up down there alright

Cool i was afraid i might have taken to much meat out of the guitars my compressing the low mid region by about 6db gr on peaks also scooped the 500hz area of the bass sound by a few db but it did clear it up down there alright

I see. But you dont have taken to much, only the necessary because you had too much information in that area in my opinion. And if you compare the 2 mixes and also the last mix with a pro mix you will see that the last version is more defined and better.