Your favourite guitar solo's? (not SyX)

Mr. Shred-ididle

Its Chinese-Tilt ya' head
Jan 25, 2003
I know its been done before with SyX solo's, but this is different. What are your favourite solos outside of Symphony X. Remeber to explain why (that just makes it more interesting)
Here's some of mine

Kali Yuga - Santiago Dolbes - Aghora
This is bassicly, a perfect solo. Extreemily loose and melodic and fluent along the key changes and just sounds "cool". Lots of emotion here. And then he goes in to this phyco sweep super-shred line at 4:50 that totally fits and isn't beeing self-indulgent or wank-fest or any thing.

Recreation Day - Tom Englund & Henrik Danhage (i'm pretty sure thats their name) - Evergrey
Another one of of those perfectly crafted solo's. Very melodic with great twin-harmonies and some cool shred runs to boot.

Running Alone - Kiko Louerio - Angra
Insane speed with a climax. Kiko is criminally under-rated.

Under a Glass moon - John Petrucci - DT
Totally funky! His Best by far. I love all the key canges.

Jason Becker - bassicly all of his work
need i say more.

I don't really want to put too much thought into this because it would take to long and be to frustrating so here are six candidates:

John Petrucci - Dream Theater - Fatal Tragedy
John Petrucci - Dream Theater - Learning to Live
John Petrucci - Dream Theater - Home
John Petrucci - Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons
John Petrucci - Liquid Tension Experiment - Acid Rain
Alexi Laiho - Children of Bodom - Towards Dead End

Petrucci usually does more than one solo in every DT song so in the songs, I mean them all.

-fatal tragedy - JP
-keybords/piano solo "scenes from NY" - Jordan Rudess
-tornado of souls - Dave mustaine
-nova era - kiko laureiro
-any solo of chuck schuldiner in " the sound of perseverance" album
-St.anger - metallica (oops, there are no solos there lol....fukin new metal, i hate it!)

Petrucci- The Great Debate
That's like to only time he shreds on that whole album, but I really dig it.

Jani Liimatainan- San Sebastian
Maybe cuz I just listened to this song and it's stuck in my head, but its a very catchy solo.

I'm sure I have a fav Alexi Laiho solo, but I can't think if one off the top of my head.

hmm..I can recall a lot of them, but I only have a few in mind right now. Pfft.

here are a few:
--John Petrucci's Guitar solo at the DT concert in 1998, which included parts of "Paradigm Shift" by LTE and "Flight of the Bumblebee" by Korsakov(my apologies if I didn't get the name correctly)

--the outro to "Freebird" by Lynrd Skynrd

--Petrucci's solos in "Acid Rain" by Liquid Tension Experiment"

--Kiko's solos in Angra's "Running Alone" and "Nova Era"

mmm
Great Solos:
Scott Henderson (Tribal Tech)- Improv 1 on Got tuh B as performed on 'Primal Tracks' (and most of his solos would fit here, but just 1 entry per player) :)
Marcel Coenen (Lemur Voice) - Universal Roots
David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) - Mother
Craig Chaquico - Acoustic Highway
Impressive Solos:
Allan Holdsworth - Outro on 'The drums were yellow'
Michael Angelo - No Boundaries
Fun Solos:
Eddie Van Halen (Michael Jackson) - Beat It
Scott Henderson (Tribal Tech) - Stella by Infra-red High Particle Neutron Beam:ill: (that's a fun song actually)
any solo by any 80's metal band :D

Opeth - Forest of October (don't know who does the solo)
John Petrucci - Lines In The Sand
Death - Symbolic (Schuldiner/Koelble)

Ooops forgot the reasons...
Forest of October because it's just a kick ass solo. I love the way it sounds over the rhythm. It really fits well.

Lines In The Sand because it's full of emotion.

Symbolic for just about the same reason as Forest.

Avathar...

Dave Mustaine does not have a solo in "Tornado of Souls". You're thinking of the one done by Marty Friedman.

Anyway, one of my favorite solos of all time is no technical marvel - Al Pitrelli's in Megadeth's "Dread and the Fugitive Mind".