Stephan Forte's Thoughts on Adagio/ Symphony X

Mr. Shred-ididle

Its Chinese-Tilt ya' head
Jan 25, 2003
Hey guys,

Still not satisfied with the Adagio / SyX thing, I even posted a simmilar thing on the adagio fotum on www.adagio.fr.st (check it out yourself)

I bassicly asked the real Stephan Forte's opinion on the comparison and a few other things. Heres what I first asked
Posted by me on the Adagio forum.

I really don't get it?

Alot of people say that Adagio is a rip-off of SyX? (particularly SyX fans)
Why?
You are totally different.
I love both bands and are both in my top 2 bands of all time. But Adagio is way more classical, dark, mystical, whatever.
I can hear some similarities but nothing to call you a ripp-off!!!

Anyway, I totally love your music as it touches my very soul.

Stephan, you are the most promesing guitarists in the 21st century. I got a few questions

1) In your new album are you going to do some more "shredding" solo's like in the last part of the immigrant song, Second sight and Inner Road? Not that I don't like the way you play (I love the way play) But mabey if you do some of these licks a bit more often it might be a bit better.
2) Whats the new direction of the new album? Wheres it going?

Good luck on the never-ending journey to make better music.

and here is what the REAL Stephan Forte replied (Adagio's Main Man and guitarist)

Posted by Stephan Forte on the Adagio forum

Hello and thanks a lot for your post !

Fisrt, about this constant comparison with Symphony X and Malmsteen, Of course I do agree with you !
You know a lot of people doesn't have enough ears and personality to really knows what they think about a band they've never heard before. They always need to compare it to something they already knows, and in the case of Adagio, it was quite easy as Symphony X and Malmsteen was metioned in the biography many times. I thought there was no reason to hide my influences, but...
Of course there are some few points in common between Adagio and symphony X, but that's called INFLUENCE. As you said, Adagio is much more influenced by classical music, and maybe much more dark and dramatic.
Anyway, if people are happy to categorize Adagio as a clone of Yngwie, Symphony X, ABBA, Michael Jackson, Earth wind and Fire, Boney M, The muppet show, Nsync, Backstreet boys and as many other things as they want :"I DON'T GIVE A F***" :)))))))))))))))
The most important for me is to compose with my heart and to give the best of what I have to Adagio.

Second point, you asked me about solos and direction.
So What i can tell you is I've practiced my technique a lot since "Sanctus ignis" and you can be sure the solos will shred (much more than on the 1st album:)
About the musical direction,
the main mood is really dramatic, with a lot lot lot of orchestration, real choirs, more complex and above all much more heavy and shred, but still (and it's the most important) very melodic !

So Thanks again my friend for this nice post, and I truely hope you will enjoy this album which represent 2 years and a half of almost non-stop composition and involvement.

Stephan

This is the maun guys opinion on the "clone" thing.

Wadda ya say?

I say it was very cool that you received a straightforward and honest reply. Of course there are influences, and of course he doesn't give a F***" :))))))))))))))) We're talking about them and it's exposure for the band !!

Adagio are my and my wife's favorite band next to Symphony X. They are very talented musicians with a nice style. You presented a good letter. Very cool, indeed!

ABBA...hehe:)

Thanx for sharing. My ultimate dream show would be SymX with Adagio.:headbang: