your guitar type,string guage,action

LeafTek

New Metal Member
Sep 10, 2002
Visit site
Just curious what everyone has thier action set on thier guitars. Been testing out different action stettings. I have a Gibson sg standard, with 12-54 gauge strings, low E at 5/64ths high E at 3/64ths, tuned to C.

I've got an ESP LTD M-251 strung 10-52 tuned to standard E right now, I change tuning almost as often as I change my underwear these days.
I've got the action set at about 3mm at the 12th fret.

I have a 1992 Peavey Vandenburgh, a cheap Ibanez EXP (which is actually my favorite) a Takamine EF-350MC acoustic and a Foundation 5-string bass.

I have been playing guiar and bass for about 19 years and have went through a butt-load of string gauges, custom gauges and even bought singles and made my own "gauges." ToO be honest, I would rather take an ass-kicking than maintain or tune my guitars (though I love to play them.) I now use D'addario XL .009 on my electrics and the EXP17 coated phosphorous bronze medium on my acoustic. I am still experimenting on my bass, but because the strings last longer, I haven't tried all of the newer products to decide yet. Some of you will argue with me until the end of the world, but I have found that most electric strings (of the same gauge) are pretty similar. If my local shop is out of the D'addario, it's no big deal. I buy the Ernie Ball .009. A string is not a string on acoustic though. I use the EXP17 exclusively.
As far as tunings, I have tried many different things. I have tuned down to "d" and up to "F" as well as made "high strings" for fullness and overdubbing. I have also tuned to Emaj and Emin and D maj and Dmin to try my hand at slide (which I don't particualrly like or am good at, but it was intersting to try.)
My action on my electrics is set as low as I can get it (making sure my neck is straight) without any fret buzz. I have never measured my actual action. The action on the acoustic is about 3 meters. >:p~ Actually, I set it quite high because I don't "do" acoustic solos and the "medium" gauge strings are pretty thick. The high action improves the sustain of the guitar and I am used to the playability downside of it. You won't be playing any Yngwie on my acoustic, but it sounds like a dream.

Bryant

i've got a BC Rich Beast with D'addario super tops / reg. bottoms (EXL125) with standard tunning and the action is 4mm at 12 fret.

I also have a monterey sg (gibson copy) with same string and action but tuned drop D

I don't think i can play with these medium strings.....
I mean i'm gonna need light gauge if i'm gonna thrash!!
sasmokin.gif