Some Question about Bending Guitar String

neotam0103

New Metal Member
Jan 2, 2012

Hello Everyone ..
i have a question .... my guitar string was always too tight
i am using 10-46 for standard turning now ...
my guitar bridge is Gibson SG style ..
my high e sting was super tight now... i only can bend the strings about 1/2...
i want to know ...what can i do now ???
what can i do to make the strings loose ...
and i don't want the guitar action to high because of my playing style ..

thank you very much for helping....

three options:

-lighter gauge strings

-lower tuning (lowers string tension)

-finger training (masturbating a lot helps)

I would suggest to get a 9-46 gauge string set, which has lighter 3 high strings for easier bends while keeping the 3 low strings at the same gauge as a 10-46 set.
You should still keep masturbating as much as you can though.

Hello Everyone ..
i have a question .... my guitar string was always too tight
i am using 10-46 for standard turning now ...
my guitar bridge is Gibson SG style ..
my high e sting was super tight now... i only can bend the strings about 1/2...
i want to know ...what can i do now ???
what can i do to make the strings loose ...
and i don't want the guitar action to high because of my playing style ..

thank you very much for helping....

How is the instrument set up? 10-46 is a gauge most people can play on standard scale instruments (24.75" - 25.5") without too much trouble - providing the instrument is set up right and you have adequate finger strength. So either you're a new player lacking in strength, have health issues, or there is something wrong with your guitar setup.

A couple of factors that could contribute

- Inappropriate/poor setup (action height or truss rod)

- Old strings can feel a bit stiff (but they'll usually not be long off snapping when they get to the 'stiff' phase)

- If it is an 'SG' style bridge I take it you mean tune-o-matic? Some people screw the tailpiece down low, and that does tend to increase tension for bending IME. You could try raising it.

I'd recommend doing some research on setting up a guitar, and also buying a set of feeler gauges (for measuring neck relief) and a good metal ruler that will be accurate for measuring string height. If you have any friends experienced with guitar setup I'd ask them to take a look at it/coach you through setting it up. Trade them a few beers/some pizza for the help - it will be worth learning the skill of setting up your instrument in the long run, as you'll save a load on tech fees.

If your instrument is set up correctly then your only options are to either get stronger or to go down a gauge. There is nothing wrong with 9s, but most guitarists I've known can play 10s without discomfort, so I'm still tempted to guess it is a setup problem.

Sounds to me like you need to man up and work on your bending technique. Unless the string is breaking then the fault is with you.

Like a few of the guys already said, I can't see a problem with the guitar and
string gauge, playing 12-54 most of the time on a longer scale in standard tuning.
Yep, I love thick strings and good tension, but bending up to a full step is still
pretty easy imho.
On a 24,75" scale 10-46 would be way too thin for me, there are some kind of
finger trainers out there, no clue what they're called, but they're an option if
you're not into masturbating ;)

I'm playing 13's over here and I don't have any trouble bending, and apart from the aforementioned masturbation technique...

..Man up and bend some more!