Your musical journey in 10 easy steps

7 During the 90's I also become fascinated with Sisters of Mercy - First & Last & Always which would drive me deep into Gothrock country and most notably Dead Can Dance - Serpents Egg which in turn had me thrilled with up and coming Cold Meat Industries label. Aussie influence Dead Can Dance (as above), IKON -Reality is Lost

Nice. Big fan of sisters of mercy and Ikon. Ikon should get more recognition.

Matt, have you heard The Merry Thoughts? They released some stuff in the 90's and they're the best Sisters sounding band, ever.

The last IKON album "destroying the world to save it" was brilliant. Chris & Dino are top blokes. It was great when Clifford was working with them, he was a valuable edition live plus im partial to his vocals and his old band, Subterfuge.

The Merry Thoughts are perhaps the best clone band ever! Still, I don't mind them - I only have a few mp3s but would like to check them out more.

I haven't got 'destroying the world to save it' but I have been meaning to pick it up for quite sometime. They are a great band.

Presidents Of The USA - Self titled
I was a late starter. I never really enjoyed any music (other than the Ninja Turtles theme) until I heard the singles from this.

Metallica - Load
Again, late starter. Most of the tracks that initially got me into Metallica were off their self titled album but "Load" was the first CD I actually purchased... by them or by anyone. Once exposed to metal I was hooked and have never looked back.

Iron Maiden - Ed Hunter
The first CD I bought when I decided to try expanding my scope beyond 24/7 Metallica. While the mate who introduced me into Metallica was branching down more of a thrash and death direction, Iron Maiden made me more aware of melody, as well as the fact that you can be in a metal band AND actually sing at the same time.

Cradle Of Filth - Midian
I was seeing a goth chick at the time and she was into what at the time seemed like a lot of crazy shit. Most of it I still think is crazy shit but something about "Chthulu Dawn" grabbed me and I decided to get the whole CD. It was the first album I owned in the black/death direction and still one of my favourite black metal albums (and bands) to date.

MP3.com and Napster
Not albums as such but they expanded my musical horizons more than anything else (except IRC which came later). It was through MP3.com that I got onto everything from Blind Guardian, Vanden Plas and Angra to Flatstick and Lemur Voice. Although the local retail front has admittedly gotten a lot better with the likes of Utopia, Post Mortem Records and JB Hifi, I highly doubt I'd have escaped the mainstream metal box without the freedom offered by MP3.com and Napster.

Helloween - The Dark Ride
By far the most emotional and haunting thing I'd heard at the time while still having an awesome heaviness about it and somehow still managing to maintain a sense of humour on top of all that. "Sun Is Going Down" still sends shivers down my spine.

Dream Theater - Images And Words
I stumbled upon "Under A Glass Moon" through Napster... and time stood still :lol:. Although it's far from my favourite Dream Theater album now, listening to songs like "Pull Me Under" and "Learning To Live" for the first time was more of a pivotal influence on me as a musician than anything else (until Tommy came along).

Lemur Voice - Divided
Ice Age - The Great Divide
Dali's Dilemma - Manifesto For Futurism
Mullmulzzler - Mullmuzzler
ARK - Burn The Sun

No single album stands out in particular above the others as they all form what I believe to be the "Golden Age of Prog Metal". Each took what I loved about Dream Theater and added their own twists in a way which created this fascinating and broad palette of sounds and textures while still offering a comfortable familiarity between them.

Tommy Emmanuel - Only
When I heard (and saw) Tommy Emmanuel on This Is Your Life a few years ago my jaw hit the floor. I rushed out and bought "Only" the next day... well, ordered it in, as I couldn't find anywhere that stocked it... but once I finally did get my hands on it I was hypnotised. This is the album that made me put electric guitar to the side and focus on my acoustic guitar technique and song writing.

Those are about as accurate a set of steps as I can come up with. 10 would be stretching, though Marilyn Manson's "Mechanical Animals", Megadeth's "Youthanasia", Joe Satrian's "Strange Beautiful Music", Spazz's "Crush Kill Destroy", Queensryche's "Promised Land", Kamelot's "The Fourth Legacy" and Adagio's "Sanctus Ignis" feel like they deserve mentions in there somewhere as key albums in my musical journey.

Ooh, Lemur Voice. I only have one of their albums, Insights. Bought it back in 1996 or 1997 and was probably the first non-Dream Theater prog album I owned. Great stuff. I also have the Dali's Dilemma album but could never get into it. And of course Mullmuzzler's great, especially the first album (Keep it to Yourself).

I should have included an album in my initial list - Yeah! by Def Leppard. It got me interested in quite a bit of 70s stuff.

Ooh, Lemur Voice. I only have one of their albums, Insights. Bought it back in 1996 or 1997 and was probably the first non-Dream Theater prog album I owned. Great stuff.

It's a shame they only released the two as I'd rate them as two of my all time favourite albums. "Divided" is definitely worth tracking down if you enjoyed "Insights". The brains behind the band Marcel Coenen has since gone on to form another band Sun Caged which might tickle your fancy too. They lack the atmosphere and ambient touches of Lemur Voice but they still go hard and just so happen to be on UltimateMetal too :)

This looks hella hard, and I did only drop in to the forum to say hi because I haven't been here in ages, but it is a great thread so I will have a go:

1 1990ish - Michael Jackson - Thriller/Bad/Dangerous - When I was a kid my sister was a massive MJ fan and some of the music I heard her play rubbed off on me, so I had her make me a mix tape. This was the beginning of my musical journey, and I still really appreciate Michael Jackson as a pop artist today. Some great tracks.

2 mid 1990s - Metallica - The Black album - There was no real rock progression for me to get into metal, my teenage brother was often playing Guns N Roses, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Faith No More, etc, but the thing that grabbed me most was Metallica. I loved the hooks on this album, it was almost like pop music for men, with its catchy choruses and heavy guitars. ...And Justice For All was the first album I purchased, but my interest in both the band and genre came from the black album pretty much on its own.

3 late 1990s - Sepultura - Roots - When I first saw Roots Bloody Roots on Rage I was blown away. The rawness and heavyness of the music was something I had never heard before and it really struck a chord. Combining metal with elements of world music seemed fascinating, and the vocals were more extreme than anything I had heard thus far.

4 late 1990s - Megadeth - Peace Sells - so I was starting to get genuinely interested in metal and after exhausting Metallica, I went chatting to people on the net to see where to go next. This album and Number Of The Beast was what I was told, so when I saw them both second hand one day I picked up both and rushed them home to listen. Bruce's vocals didn't sit well with me for a while, and I didn't get into more Maiden for a while to come, but Peace Sells was an instant hit after getting more albums, Megadeth were my new favourite band.

5 late 1990s - Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast - it took longer to sink in, but after I got my head around the vocals, which were the first of their kind that I had heard, I was intrigued by the band. Like many others, I had seen Maiden cover art for years before hearing the music, so when I finally did hear it and begin to like it, I needed to know more. I managed to pick up FOTD second hand next, and then was given the autobiography for Christmas that year. After reading it in a few sittings I went out and bought the whole back catalogue in one hit.

6 late 1990s - Fear Factory - Demanufacture - Can't entirely remember what drove me to pick up this album, but after I did it began my love for industrial metal and electronic music.

7 1998 - Black Sabbath - Reunion - I had always liked the classic Sabbath songs I had heard such as Iron Man and Paranoid, but that was about the extent of my knowledge. I bought this and The Last Supper video to check the out further, and that was the beginning of my interest in 70s rock. I now had a Sabbath tattoo on my chest and am looking at buying an Orange guitar rig, so I would say this album was pretty influencial!

8 2000 - Judas Priest - Painkiller - I still remember when I first saw the video for the title track on Channel V's Heavy Shift. It was like nothing I had heard before, in a way like the first time I heard Maiden, but taken to the next extreme. The music was insane, and the vocals ball tearing. The clip was laughable, but at the same time so fucking metal, it made me realise that old school heavy metal could be really damn cool.

9 2001 - Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down - It was Mark who introduced me to this band via this album (and at the same time, Nevermore via Dead Heart, another amazing album), and it changed my listening habits forever. I had never heard something so fucking dark and draining, yet I couldn't stop listening to it. Amazing atmosphere.

10 I could end this list with any number of albums, perhaps some more appropriate, but the most relevant to my current listening habits is The Best Of Depeche Mode, which I only heard this year, and have since gone out and bought 3 albums from the remasters series, with intent to collect the rest ASAP. I have always been a fan of 80s pop and industrial music, and Depeche Mode seem to fuse the 2 together brilliantly, with a hint of goth, a genre I am yet to dabble much in, but likely will once I burn out on them and want to explore it further. Very surprised I hadn't heard anything from them sooner, and it took backpacking Europe for me to hear them being played, but ever since "I Just Can't Get Enough" (bad pun).

Here is some others:

Grinspoon - Guide To Better Living
White Zombie - Astro Creep 2000
Creed - My Own Prison
Rammstein - Sehnsucht
Dream Theater - Once In A Live Time
The Tea Party - Transmission then The Edges Of Twilight
Dungeon - Resurrection
Cradle Of Filth - The Principles Of Evil Made Flesh
Dark Tranquility - Damage Done
WASP - WASP
Muse - Absolution

That will do from the top of my head.

Nice Blitzy, it almost makes me look favourably on Metallica's "black" album.lol
Megadeth, Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, WASP, Tea Party, Depeche Mode, its ringing a cord with me.:kickass: Hey, you got a pic of that Sabbath tatt of yours? I don't wanna sound like I'm gay or nothin' but I think Depeche Mode was a sweet band:lol:

I haven't got 'destroying the world to save it' but I have been meaning to pick it up for quite sometime. They are a great band.
Rome, Ro-o-ome! all roads lead to...

The Merry Thoughts are perhaps the best clone band ever! Still, I don't mind them - I only have a few mp3s but would like to check them out more.

You should check out TMT more, I mean stuff like The Wake is good but TMT just blows them away IMO. Actually thats not fair on The Wake, they are good but far more rockier.

They have a myspace now http://www.myspace.com/themerrythoughts
Boy Sinister is on there
other personal favs of mine are Low Violet, Pale Empress, Second Generation, I Say plus We Love To is a great rocker.

Hey, you got a pic of that Sabbath tatt of yours?
me.jpg
tatt.jpg

Mind the pasty no-tan and the ridiculous beard I have been growing for Amon Amarth next week.

Cool, it makes a nice tatt! The skin can get a little sensitve around the nipple - although I had piercing at the time which was constantly infected and didnt help matters! Have fun doing the Viking thing:kickass:

Rome, Ro-o-ome! all roads lead to...

You should check out TMT more, I mean stuff like The Wake is good but TMT just blows them away IMO. Actually thats not fair on The Wake, they are good but far more rockier.

They have a myspace now http://www.myspace.com/themerrythoughts
Boy Sinister is on there
other personal favs of mine are Low Violet, Pale Empress, Second Generation, I Say plus We Love To is a great rocker.

cheers will check them out!