Your opinion about George Lynch??

Dieblo

The L O N G E S T member
Aug 16, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
So he is touring with Yngwie, and I know he is a good guitarrist (maybe "good" is not enought) but I never heard of him, I know he is on dokken, but my question is: what kind of style is he into? is he as good as Malsmteen?? any comments?:headbang:

He was a very respected guitar player in the '80's and one of my favorites. I don't like the rap mixed into his last album though. He's very different from Malmsteen - not much neo-classical there - but he is still a very good guitar player. Check out his early stuff with Dokken if you get a chance. He has a solo album out as well from the early '90's (Derryl Gabel won a big contest to play on one song) and now has three albums with Lynch Mob. He no longer plays with Dokken. His newer stuff foregos much of his shred background from the '80's. I haven't seen him play live outside of Dokken, so I can't comment on his current live show. Let me know how his show is, will ya?

George is a great player....he had a distinctive sound that you knew was George Lynch...which is a trait many guitar players lack these days. Recently Lynch released an updated version of Lynch Mob and Dokken songs called REvolution. A lot of old fans dogged it but i played it to someone who had not heard any of the songs in their original form and he really liked it (there is no rap on this album).
Also worth a listen is the Lynch/Pilson album 'Wicked Underground'.
'Back for the Attack' is probably the best Dokken album...and George goes hard.

Reactions: Shredboy
George Lynch is an amazing player. Although he has some nice tapping licks and legato chops, I wouldn't call him a shredder really. He's more of a feeling guy, and one of my absolute favorites when it comes to phrasing, and he has a really original style and one of those players who defineately play with balls. Awesome vibrato and bends. My recommendations for his stuff are Dokken's "Beast from the east" (amazing live albums, features Dream Warriors which was actually the soundtrack to Nightmare on Elm Street 3 back in 87) and Lynch Mib's "Wicked Sensation". Both smokin' hard rock albums. He also played three solos on Tony MacAlpine's Masimum Security album, one of the best instrumental shred CD's ever, you have to own that one.

One of my all-time favorites, I just saw him in December (me on the left. Its a bad picture, I know).

The band he has is pretty good. They do a wide range of everything from Lynch's entire career.

post-6-1071849939.jpg

post-6-1071849993.jpg

hey snowy... that's pretty cool: geoff tate standing next to keith richards

oh, sorry. that's you and GL. :D

seriously, i totally agree that lynch is a great well-rounded hard-rock/metal player

the guy sounds great live, too, and his chops improved pretty drastically, once he started incorporating some gilbert teachings in his playing

He's my favorite guitarist ever. Although sometimes I'll give the nod to Akira. No neo stuff, but he can definitely shred. Wicked Sensation is one of my favorite albums (and guitar albums) as well. The solos he does on MacAlpine's album are legendary, IMO. You definitely know it's him whenever you hear him.

I saw him last May in Poughkeepsie, NY. We were about 10 feet from the stage and he was unbelieveable. After the show there was a meet and greet (which I was unaware of before I got there) and I got to meet one my idols. I got his autograph too. I felt like a fucking teenager again. Totally cool guy.

If I knew how to post the pic, I would. :yell: But it might be too big.

Dieblo, check out the Dokken song, Kiss of Death!!

Pretty sure I'm either going to Poughkeepsie again, or Sayreville, NJ to the Lynch/Yngwie show.

The L/P and REvolution are worth checking out.

I've always liked his playing. His playing is flashy, and his style and sound are fun.

On a side note, I saw Dokken last summer (without George Lynch) and they were GREAT! The guy they had on guitar was a major shredmeister. Don Dokken's voice sounded great, and he is a master of working the crowd. Seriously one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

I haven't heard any of his "newer" stuff, not since "Lynch Mob" so I really couldn't tell ya much about that, but from all those other albums like Dokken and Lynch Mob, I loved his style. He always stood out to me. His sound and style. So I am excitted about seeing him live for the 1st time. I never got to see him in Dokken, though I would of loved too. I only seen Dokken when they had "Reb Beech" wow.. That was really cool.

The only time I heard his playing was on the Macalpine CD and from that I can't say I rate him at all. I know it was just a guest appearance but Tony absolutely destroyed him. Especially in Tears of Sahara.

I was lucky enough to see Dokken 4 times back in the 80's...once on Tooth and Nail (w/DIO - The Last in Line - 1984), twice on Under Lock and Key (w/Twisted Sister - Come Out and Play and w/Judas Priest - Turbo - both 1986), and once on Back for the Attack (w/Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation - 1987). The best was with TS because they were co-headliners, and it was at Radio City. I saw Dokken open for Whitesnake/Scorpions last year and I was not impressed at all. The guitar player was ok, but he was no Lynch (or Reb Beach for that matter). Don Dokken was awful. It must have been hard for them getting blown away by the Scorps and Whitesnake every night.

I also saw Lynch Mob twice at Birch Hill in '98 and '01 (w/Oni), and then again last May.

Julz said:
The only time I heard his playing was on the Macalpine CD and from that I can't say I rate him at all. I know it was just a guest appearance but Tony absolutely destroyed him. Especially in Tears of Sahara.
Tony's solos are obviously insane, but I disagree that he "absolutely destroyed" him.

I saw them several times in the '80's as well. One memorable show was on the Tooth & Nail tour when George Lynch went backstage and hurled all over some equipment. Don Dokken played guitar for the rest of the set. Talk about a let down...

Platinum Maze said:
Don Dokken was awful.
Really? That's too bad. Like I wrote earlier, when I saw them last year, Don's voice was right on target and nice and powerful. I guess I saw him on a good night! The guitarist they had was definitely a shredder, but his style wasn't as fun/interesting as George Lynch's.

Saw G Lynch at a clinic in Tampa (99,2000????) I had always liked his stuff, but wow, I was impressed. Had just a small set-up, head, cab, Chandler Echo(I think). He just smoked it for about a half hour. Afterwards, talked and got autograph, very down to earth, no 'tude'

Thank you guys for the comments, so far I've learned that he's got feeling and an "unique technique" .

"back for the attack" and "Beast from the east" as the best dokken albums plus "wicked sensations" as a lynch mob project so far are the symphony X-er's favorites. Wich one of these is most likely to be played in the upcoming shows??

ABQShredHead said:
He was a very respected guitar player in the '80's and one of my favorites. I don't like the rap mixed into his last album though. He's very different from Malmsteen - not much neo-classical there - but he is still a very good guitar player. Check out his early stuff with Dokken if you get a chance. He has a solo album out as well from the early '90's (Derryl Gabel won a big contest to play on one song) and now has three albums with Lynch Mob. He no longer plays with Dokken. His newer stuff foregos much of his shred background from the '80's. I haven't seen him play live outside of Dokken, so I can't comment on his current live show. Let me know how his show is, will ya?
Never heard anything about George touring with Yngwie.

btw... George is kewl... One of my favourite is the Shadows of life and it's solo. :headbang: