Your opinion on the Libyan conflict

I only hold my own views. Being bi-polar (sorry) is a narrow way to view an engagement with politics. In fact, a shit load of problems stem from it.

I think by putting a label on who you are by basing said label on what you believe is a recipe for failure. We're too compartmentalized these days, not enough thinking outside the box.

^ It's made with good reasons, and I see your point about this Stormo, but it was a well known fact for years that there were 'serious human rights' issue in Lybia... I can't hep but wonder about the REAL reasons that all of this is taking place now, and I have to lean towards the reason that has the color green and rhymes with 'honey'....
Our money's not green :p

And of course, I never disputed that, it's all about money. And PR. But I'm just saying, comparing this to the second Gulf War is just no good.

now I'm going to ask you a question Europeans absolutely love to ask Americans, only the role is reversed: what about all the other regimes that are brutalizing and killing its own citizens? Would NATO have gone and helped the Egyptians? What about Syria, now that they're starting to flare up? What about Tunisia? If NATO is so concerned for the welfare of the people, where were they then?
Nowhere, that's true. But again, they weren't air-bombing their own people, which, for some reasons, makes the public so outraged that they'll sanction a war. Hey, I'm not saying they're right, I'm just saying that's the way it is.

where are the protests? Where is the outrage against human suffering?
In the eyes of the public, the NATO operation in Libya prevents human suffering, and up til now, that's actually right. Civilian casualties have been extremely low (at least if you don't count the civlians Khadafi has killed), and not a single member of NATO forces has returned in a body bag. Entirely different story than, say Gulf War II.

I think most people don't mind that much that it's about monetary gain, since the lives of the people that Khadafi is prevented to bomb are worth it.

Our money's not green :p

And of course, I never disputed that, it's all about money. And PR. But I'm just saying, comparing this to the second Gulf War is just no good.

Nowhere, that's true. But again, they weren't air-bombing their own people, which, for some reasons, makes the public so outraged that they'll sanction a war. Hey, I'm not saying they're right, I'm just saying that's the way it is.

In the eyes of the public, the NATO operation in Libya prevents human suffering, and up til now, that's actually right. Civilian casualties have been extremely low (at least if you don't count the civlians Khadafi has killed), and not a single member of NATO forces has returned in a body bag. Entirely different story than, say Gulf War II.

I think most people don't mind that much that it's about monetary gain, since the lives of the people that Khadafi is prevented to bomb are worth it.

Yeah, you're right on all points...but we have to remember that it's not all of the Libyan people we're helping, only those against Gaddhafi. He still enjoys support from a large percentage of the populace, which is why it's such a delicate issue. He's not bombing everyone, just the ones who don't like him...exactly what Saddam did. The only reason no one has returned in a body bag yet is because NATO doesn't want to send in ground troops to oust Gaddhafi, and with good reason. It's the rebels' fight and they should do it themselves.

We're not supporting the Libyan people; we're supporting the Libyan rebels.

Does anyone know how much oil they have in libya? I read they have the largest in africa...golly gee, I wonder why we're there?!?! Easily exploitable oil? Get right out of town! I seriously doubt we're there for any sort of humanitarian effort...

I'm sick of it. We keep jumping into wars we can't afford and people here are needlessly dying every day! I have been trying to keep myself and others alive because we don't have the money for a proper cure, and there is a cure, but it's not FDA approved because it would fuck the antibiotic manufacturers, etc. Half of my friend's face was infected with mrsa bacterium and it was brutal as fuck. They treated her with antibiotics that they knew wouldn't work, and now it's coming back! I'm trying my hardest to save this girl and her boyfriend, do you see anyone else giving a shit? There is a fucking plague killing off more people than aids, and the death toll is rising every day. They arent screaming in the streets or distributing pamphlets trying to warn/help people (I talked to our health official, aka moron about this, she wouldnt support it, what a joke!!). Hardly anyone is aware of it, and yet preventing the spread is so simple!! Even the cleaning products they urge you to use don't kill it, and they know it! No wonder our hospitals are mrsa breeding grounds. And yet, something as simple and cheap as baking soda will eradicate it.

There is something very wrong with this picture of the USA! If dysfunctional isnt the right word, I don't know what is! Greed and corporate ventures are the only things they seem to care about, I guess everyone that actually needs help should just kiss their asses goodbye!! Bottom line is this: if you aren't an immigrant/don't have money/can't afford insurance/don't have alternative medical advice available, you are probably going to die a miserable death. Welcome to the USA! We need to stop meddling with other countries until we help the people here!! I already know of several people who have died from mrsa, and they're even trying to cover that up in ukiah!!

I'm getting off my soapbox now...mrsa is just one of the preventable/easily treatable (with phage therapy) diseases that are destroying lives right here, right now. I'm not crazy. I'm not the only one who feels this way. I just want the killing (all around) to stop, but it's never going to stop...As long as greed, religion, and hatred exist...
The answer is so simple...

Does anyone know how much oil they have in libya?

2% of the world reserves. 10% of it goes to Europe.

P.S. The mrsa scare seems a hoax, since most people can host that bacteria on their skin. Immuno- compromised people are at risk though, like in hospitals.

Djöfull;9737041 said:
2% of the world reserves. 10% of it goes to Europe.

P.S. The mrsa scare seems a hoax, since most people can host that bacteria on their skin. Immuno- compromised people are at risk though, like in hospitals.

Uhm, excuse me, but almost all of my family in town have it (8 people, ranging from older adults, myself (immunocompromised) to my healthy 3, 4, 12, 18, and 20 year old cousins. It's done serious damage, especially when the little girls were in diapers. My boyfriend's dad almost lost his hand over it years ago and his aunt had it inside her breast tissue recently. My best friend and I are still battling it and it almost killed me from TSS last year. Two of my other good friends just caught it and it completely filled half of one of their faces with pus, now it's coming back. Almost all of these people I mentioned are healthy and are rarely sick. It attacks everyone from children to elderly to athletes in the prime of their lives.

What you mean to say is: I really feel for you and your friends, Lesa, and I hope you all get through it soon and live long, healthy lives free of the mother fucker that is MRSA.

However, anecdotal evidence is the absolute worst method of assessing medical and scientific problems and often leads to more harm being done, even unintentionally. Therefore, do you happen to have any news links regarding this localised epidemic, because I'd be interested in understanding it better.

Uhm, excuse me, but almost all of my family in town have it (8 people, ranging from older adults, myself (immunocompromised) to my healthy 3, 4, 12, 18, and 20 year old cousins. It's done serious damage, especially when the little girls were in diapers. My boyfriend's dad almost lost his hand over it years ago and his aunt had it inside her breast tissue recently. My best friend and I are still battling it and it almost killed me from TSS last year. Two of my other good friends just caught it and it completely filled half of one of their faces with pus, now it's coming back. Almost all of these people I mentioned are healthy and are rarely sick. It attacks everyone from children to elderly to athletes in the prime of their lives.

I knew someone that died from it. But she lived in filth and was in poor health. I lived with her, tried keeping her house clean but some people refuse to be clean people and maintain the cleanliness. Same house that had dog shit on the ground and a huge pile of dirty clothes in the kitchen. She also shared a bathroom with 4 others. I feel bad that she died, but again, some people should make sure their environment and their body is clean.

I am not a fan of Ghaddafi but this aquifer project seems brilliant to provide an arid nation of secure water supply.

Djöfull;9737604 said:
Interesting and newsworthy. Any newslinks of this localized epidemic?

What you mean to say is: I really feel for you and your friends, Lesa, and I hope you all get through it soon and live long, healthy lives free of the mother fucker that is .

However, anecdotal evidence is the absolute worst method of assessing medical and scientific problems and often leads to more harm being done, even unintentionally. Therefore, do you happen to have any news links regarding this localised epidemic, because I'd be interested in understanding it better.

No disrespect to Lesa, because I really do wish her and her family fast recovery, of course, but those two above posts just had me spit out my green tea :lol: !

Ok, seriously..
I had no idea what MSRA was - just Googled it and now I know.
Never heard about it before :/
They do say some West Coast areas are at rist because the bacteria is present in local water:

From Wiki:

Risk factors

At risk populations include:

* People with weak immune systems (people living with HIV/AIDS, cancer patients, transplant recipients, severe asthmatics, etc.)
* Diabetics
* Intravenous drug users
* Use of quinolone antibiotics[6]
* Young children
* The elderly
* College students living in dormitories
* People staying or working in a health care facility for an extended period of time
* People who spend time in coastal waters where MRSA is present, such as some beaches in Florida and the west coast of the United States[7][8]
* People who spend time in confined spaces with other people, including prison inmates, soldiers in basic training,[9] and individuals who spend considerable time in changerooms or gyms.

Didn't mean to be very funny. Maybe it's the language/cultural barrier or... just my (twisted?) personality.

Anyway, I don't know how this became a MRSA thread. Immunocompromised people are mostly @ risk as you can see. But here's to a swifty recovery of those involved. Eat garlic and be merry.

I'm relocating my response to another thread, as it is a fucking novel/may be misinterpreted. :(