Your opinions....

Cecchini

May 4, 2005
This might be a tad out of place for this forum, but it had me aggravated and I found this to be a good neutral place for this. lol

Ok, so heres the deal...

I pretty much handle all the bookings for my band and I was booking us for this metal show at this big night club place(not a typical bar/club, its like a club with tons of rooms for bands to play) with 30+ local bands plus a bunch of national acts... Otep, Brides of Destruction... junk like that... Basically the nationals sucked but alot of friends of ours were playing so I was getting us in on it.

So I get us in on it and the promoter says, "You HAVE TO sell 100 tix at 30 bucks a pop... or you foot the rest of the bill of the unsold ones." Now I expected a somewhat pay to play type deal... But is 100 tix at 30 bucks a ticket completely unreasonable for a show looking for UNSIGNED local acts?! I think so... What about you guys? I did my best to stay professional when I said we were out but I was veryyyyyyyyyy tempted to tell this guy to swim in a big bucket of stds...

Lets put it like this, we could've sold 60 tix reasonably, that leaves 40 unsold give or take... 40 x 30 = 1,200 dollars.

So yea... what do you all think? Completely unreasonable or not?

Pay to play are the worst gigs IMO but seems to be what most of the clubs do in L.A. 100 tickets sounds like a hefty price. :OMG: My drummer was in a local band that was supposed to open for Lamb of God and Anthrax a few years back and they never had to sell any tickets and they were completely unsigned and just a completely local, random band...granted those tickets probably sold themselves alone with Anthrax there. It's a long story, PM me if you want details lol.

Wow!!! o_O That's rediculous. I definately would have past that up as well...unless I was Italian, then I would have made the guy an offer he couldn't refuse. :err: :D

lol, ok good to know I'm not just an asshole.

Nobody cought my "Currently Listening To" joke in my post either... le sigh.

Cecchini said:
lol, ok good to know I'm not just an asshole.

Nobody cought my "Currently Listening To" joke in my post either... le sigh.

Is that the Dave Matthews thingy? I always wondered what those cd's were that were hanging out down there. How do you do that?

Cecchini said:
This might be a tad out of place for this forum, but it had me aggravated and I found this to be a good neutral place for this. lol

Ok, so heres the deal...

I pretty much handle all the bookings for my band and I was booking us for this metal show at this big night club place(not a typical bar/club, its like a club with tons of rooms for bands to play) with 30+ local bands plus a bunch of national acts... Otep, Brides of Destruction... junk like that... Basically the nationals sucked but alot of friends of ours were playing so I was getting us in on it.

So I get us in on it and the promoter says, "You HAVE TO sell 100 tix at 30 bucks a pop... or you foot the rest of the bill of the unsold ones." Now I expected a somewhat pay to play type deal... But is 100 tix at 30 bucks a ticket completely unreasonable for a show looking for UNSIGNED local acts?! I think so... What about you guys? I did my best to stay professional when I said we were out but I was veryyyyyyyyyy tempted to tell this guy to swim in a big bucket of stds...

Lets put it like this, we could've sold 60 tix reasonably, that leaves 40 unsold give or take... 40 x 30 = 1,200 dollars.

So yea... what do you all think? Completely unreasonable or not?
You did the right thing!!!!
that is lame. It all comes down to is it worth it? what kind of exposer do you get? is there any press? and this show definitly does not sound worth it. I have seen bands pay $1000 to play festavals for 20 people, it's all totally lame.
Chris.