Your preferred mic(s) for T-75s?

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
I've got a Marshall 1960A which has a blend of V30s and T75s (x-pattern).

The tried and tested 57 + V30 is great with this thing, check out anything on my youtube channel and it's pretty much ALL that combo.

I tend to neglect the T75s though because they just don't work for me, but in the room they sound fantastic. I want to get the best out of them. I've managed to get some great blends with 2x57's, one on each speaker-type.

But when it comes to getting the best out of the T75, I just feel the 57 is not the way to go. Too harsh, too grainy, and too scooped.

What are your suggestions for getting a smoother and more usable tone from them?

An sm58 off axis in a neve style preamp can work. The t75 seems to be a speaker that relies on alot of post eq.

The PR20 can work too as its darker and seems to "sag" a little bit, but it doesnt work well with darker/character colour preamp.

Last edited:
I'm not looking for savage metal tones with it or anything. Rock/hard rock is more my speed these days. I just want to use something other than V30's all the time as that tone has become so generic to me. I'm not at all question its place in my backline, as I absolutely use the shit out of it 99% of the time, but for my own personal musical endeavours I just fancy branching out. Maybe it's time to try something new entirely.

I know a dude that gets some serious tones out of his cab loaded with T-75. I watched him mixing a track and he had a lot of eq on the guitars doing 5-6db boost and lots of cuts. So yeah i second that those speakers need intense eq'ing. T-75 are very interesting speakers but they seem to be very hard to tame.