Any Celestion G12T75 lovers out there?

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
I've had a Marshall 1960A cabinet for years that I put a couple British Celestion V30s in with the existing T75s in an X pattern. I had an urge to put the T75s back in the other day and make some Kemper profiles with the 6505. To be honest, with a cranked wide open cab, the T75s sound better to me than the X pattern. You definitely have to rethink traditional amp settings and micing can be quite tricky. After many failed attempts at a quality tone, I just put a single SM57 an inch away from the grill pointed directly at the center of the cone, which is insane unless you like fizz, but a 10k low pass fixes that quickly. I think the sound derived here is much more menacing for non-technical stuff than the mid focused V30 sound. The left track is one of the more boomy sounding bottom speakers and the right track is one of the tighter sounding top speakers. No stomp, just straight into the 6505. Most of my favorite album guitar tones are generated from these speakers, it's just more challenging to coax the goodness out. Any success stories from you chaps out there?

Here's a short clip

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/868701/New Ideas 080815 140 23.mp3

The 1960A was my default cab back in the day when I first started doing engineering, and working primarily on thrash metal. Moving to the V30 was awkward and I disliked the speaker immensely. Come to think, not much has changed. Since moving over to the Greenback I've been happier with my tones. That said the G12T75 definitely has something special about it. A cool hollowness which can allow mix elements to sit around the tone in a different way.

I have to say recently I'm preferring greenbacks to V30's as well. way less emphasis around 600-700hz which I can never seen to reduce without resorting to EQ. I too started out with T75's (so available and cheap) and while it wouldn't be what I'd usually go for, they're a great speaker to really learn about mic positioning because you have to work your bollocks off to get a tone from it. There's certainly good tones in there, but there's also a potentially problematic amount of high end fizz and phasiness that you can end up with if you aren't careful.....

FWIW I always found pretty central to be my favourite spot micing T75's, even despite the fizz.

Your tone kills, Splat!

Not completely OT, but funny Greenbacks come up when talking about T-75's. I've always felt G12M's are more closely related to G12T-75's as well (not surprisingly since they use the same magnet and some use the same cone). Kinda like a vintage, lo-fi version with squishy mids, less fizz and boom, and raunchy breakup. I think that if you dig G12T-75's, you might like G12M's and their variants as well, Splat.

Thanks for the info guys. I hate to admit it, but I don't ever recall having the opportunity to ever play Greenbacks., which seems crazy after all these years. I may need to pick a couple Greenbacks up, but I'm also interested in trying the G12K-100s.

I had an old Hughes And Kettner cab with f60s in it (rock driver jrs J believe) that I kept around, and out of curiosity I did an x pattern in my cobra cab with the greenbacks, and the speakers compliment each other very well for a wall of mid heavy tone. It sounds like the et65 is the more refined version of them, which I want to try as well as the K100s.

The G12K100 is not very far away from the G12T75. I would say the lows and highs are kind of the same as the G12T75 but there are a bit more mids and they are a bit more refined in the K100. The highs have the same character but may be a tiny little bit more subdued in the K100. Definitely try it it's a great speaker if you like the T75, they are in the same vein.

I have an old UK made G12T75 with the white label, it's great and has a lot more mids and a bit less highs than the Chinese version. I tried the two in the same 1x12 cab for home usage with my 5153 50w - the Chinese one is better with some mid-heavy amps I have, but maybe too hollow and too buzzy for 5150 high gain stuff, whereas the UK one is just a perfect match for the 5153 and sounds great even at home levels. I'm keeping both although the Chinese one has no cab for it right now and sits in my basement, someday I'll get around to building or buying a cab especially for it.

But to answer the question concisely, yes I love the G12T75 although it's a bitch to record.

Gotta try the SM57 straight in the middle you guys are talking about, never crossed my mind before - too fizzy!!