Your Top 5 Memories Of Metal!

richwithhatred

The Man Behind The Mayhem
OK, we all know that VH1 Had Their Top 100 Metal Moments This Weekend. It was cool, but I'm curious what you guys' memories are. Here's my top 5, as best I can think of it:

5. Lonn Friend and RIP doing a month by month walkthrough as Metallica recorded THE BLACK ALBUM. I was such a Metallica fan at that point, and hung on every word of that until I finally had THE BLACK ALBUM in my hands. It was worth the wait, in my eyes!

4. Vince Neil kills Razzle from Hanoi Rocks. This was up there for me for a lot of reasons. First, Motley was my favorite band at the time. Second, Hanoi Rocks was one of my favorites at the time. Third, it was on the regular news, which convinced my mom that my favorite music was going to lead me down the path to becoming a drunk junkie fuck! And finally, the first concert that Motley Crue played after Vince Neil got out of jail was at the Richfield Coliseum in Richfield, OH. I was there. The band was awesome...one of the best shows I've still ever seen. I still remember Dave Meniketti of Y&T being so wasted on stage that he puked 2 songs in and ended their set, which led Motley to play an extra 1/2 hour! It was classic.

3. Vince Neil and Joey Belladonna being fired from their respective bands in the same week. I might not be accurate on this, but I distinctly remember being crushed by Kurt Loder on MTV news giving up this information. While many will disagree, I think it was the best move for both bands. John Bush Anthrax is my fav, and the Corabi Crue album is still my favorite of their catalog!

2. Monsters Of Rock 87. Akron, OH Rubber Bowl. So f*cking hot I thought I was going to die. But, I got to see all my favorite bands in one day! Van Halen, Scorpions, Metallica, Dokken, Kingdom Come - all on one major day! I remember them hosing us in the pit down constantly because we were dying!

1. Day On The Green '91. Oakland Stadium, CA. By far the best show I ever saw in my life. Faith No More, Soundgarden, Queensryche and Metallica all playing full sets. Gorgeous day, and I was wasted throughout the day! Highlights included Mike Patton falling off the stage and busting his mouth wide open on the microphone when he hit the ground. Queensryche was touring on Empire, Soundgarden on Badmotorfinger, and Metallica was playing their first gig on THE BLACK ALBUM. The show is heavily featured on Metallica's YEAR AND A HALF IN THE LIFE OF video. Could it get any better than that? Not for my money.