Heavy Metal Memories

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Talking to Soundmaster recently (in the Godless Endeavor thread) got me feeling a bit nostalgic about some specific periods when I first heard some of my favorite albums. Below are two. Feel free to post your own. You know, where were you when......
....that kind of thing.

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
We lived in a small town in Missouri when I was a kid. We used to go to the great big town of Springfield on occasion for shopping and whatnot. I always saved up my bucks (what few I had) to buy a new tape or album - there was shyte for record stores in my area. One of the older kids on my school bus route was constantly annoyed with me because I was a little music fanatic and I was always asking him to loan me stuff to turn me on to new things, which he obligingly did, to his credit. I still remember hearing Scorpions Lovedrive for the first time because of this arrangement. Anyway, he told me one day, "I think you'd like Iron Maiden." On the strength of that alone I bought NOTB on tape that day in Springfield. I stared at it all the way home (two hours) and hurriedly plugged it into my little tape deck when we got home. Whoa! I remember full well saying to my brother (literally) "This is what I've been looking for!" He still tells that story back to me. I wore that damned tape OUT. I took it to music class once in the fourth grade for "bring a song to play the class day." Ha. My small-town-teacher looked at the cover and asked me, "Does your mother know you have this...?" She was beside herself. Other students had brought things like Olivia Newton John and Gordon Lightfoot. I made her play Invaders for the class, and she was so scared by it that she kept turning it way down to talk to some of the other students about anything that she could come up with, just trying to avoid the song. It was awesome.

Metallica - Master of Puppets
I'd had Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning, and though I liked them, Metallica was far from my favorite band. My brother beat me to buying Master of Puppets so I asked him if I could borrow it. He just said, "Sure, I don't really like it that much...." the dope. The next day I had a "band trip" for school (I played the trombone - haha.) I brought my walkman. About a half hour into the busride I put in Master of Puppets and proceeded to sit in awe of its greatness. It was the first time I heard it. Metallica was still nobody at this time and I remember looking around my immediate area on the bus to find somebody to talk to, somebody to say, "Jesus, you gotta hear this..." to. You have to remember Metallica was considered brutally heavy at this time. I didn't see anybody who would be interested (nor did I know anybody in my whole town who would be interested), so I just sat there listening to it, feeling like I had a piece of gold in my hand that I couldn't share with anybody, that I couldn't show to anybody - an invisible piece of gold. I spent the day on some college campus where the band dealy went down, walking around and listening to it over and over. It was one of those times, and I've had a few sense, when I was utterly aware that I was listening to something for the 2nd time, the 3rd time...you know, and knowing I could never ever repeat that. The first time is WOW, the 2nd is, "Oh JESUS, I forgot about this song..." and on down the line.
When I got home I traded something to my brother for it. He thought he really made out. In time I think he realized a little more how good it was, but it was too late to take it back. Haha. I did sell a few of my friends on it eventually, but I think, ultimately, it was too heavy for them. Ironic that those friends love Metallica today, and probably remember how it all went down completely differently. The bastards.

I have tons of memories like this tied to albums like:
Scorpions - Blackout
King Diamond - Abigail
Slayer - Show No Mercy
Led Zeppelin - I
Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
etc.
etc.

I'll give the floor to someone else though....

...maybe a "first concert" thread might be cool too, if anyone is up for it.

I'm not good writing about the whole deal, but albums that definitively bring fond memories:

Iron Maiden - "Piece Of Mind"
Helloween - "Keeper Of The Seven Keys pt.1"
Metallica - "Master Of Puppets"
Baron Rojo - "En Un Lugar De La Marcha"
Black Sabbath - "The Eternal Idol"
Rick Wakeman - "The Myths And Legends Of King Arthur And The Knights Of The Round Table"
Kreator - "Endorama" and "Outcast"
Deep Purple - "Made In Japan"
Pink Floyd - "Delicate Sound Of Thunder"

cool thread e.w. I have more than a few cool memories connected to certain albums. one of which is slayer -"hell awaits". I was at my friends house back in summer of 85'. his name was vic.He was a cool dude. It turns out vic's cousin lived an hour away in nyc.one time when he came back from a visit to his cousins' he had a few blank tapes filled with some of the most unbelievable heavy shit. at this point i was a fan of standard metal. dio,wasp,ozzy,maiden priest etc.all great and I loved it.But i had yet to to be turned on to speed/thrash metal.Vic threw on the tape and said check this out! my jaw must have dropped because vic was laughing. pretty crazy stuff huh? he said.I thought... THIS is what i was looking for!! much the same way e.w. had said to his brother.i asked for a copy. he obliged and the rest his metal history. as a matter of fact Vic was responsible for turning my self and a few other friends on to a lot of bands. he'd come back with copies of l.ps or dubbed tapes. mercyful fate,venom,exodus,metallica,celtic frost,megadeth,anthrax,motorhead.we would use a mail order on our own to get stuff back then.later on a local flea market had stuff and even a store opened up.but i had never forgotten the first time i heard some heavy music-which opened up a whole new world of metal! thanks Vic-Horns up!!!

nyhc7163 said:
cool thread e.w. I have more than a few cool memories connected to certain albums. one of which is slayer -"hell awaits". I was at my friends house back in summer of 85'. his name was vic.He was a cool dude. It turns out vic's cousin lived an hour away in nyc.one time when he came back from a visit to his cousins' he had a few blank tapes filled with some of the most unbelievable heavy shit. at this point i was a fan of standard metal. dio,wasp,ozzy,maiden priest etc.all great and I loved it.But i had yet to to be turned on to speed/thrash metal.Vic threw on the tape and said check this out! my jaw must have dropped because vic was laughing. pretty crazy stuff huh? he said.I thought... THIS is what i was looking for!! much the same way e.w. had said to his brother.i asked for a copy. he obliged and the rest his metal history. as a matter of fact Vic was responsible for turning my self and a few other friends on to a lot of bands. he'd come back with copies of l.ps or dubbed tapes. mercyful fate,venom,exodus,metallica,celtic frost,megadeth,anthrax,motorhead.we would use a mail order on our own to get stuff back then.later on a local flea market had stuff and even a store opened up.but i had never forgotten the first time i heard some heavy music-which opened up a whole new world of metal! thanks Vic-Horns up!!!

Very cool. I got Show No Mercy in a similar fashion. My brother brought it home from Illinois on some summer trip. Again, he didn't like it, I did. It was an LP and I was blown away by it. I got Hell Awaits through a video store (or all things) that used to special order LPs for me. It was this little hole in the wall place with about 50 VHS and Betamax tapes combined. This stocked a smidgeon of records, and were always glad to special order stuff for me. I remember picking up Hell Awaits, Haunting the Chapel, Exciter's Long Live the Loud, and Destruction's Sentence of Death that way. I think the shopkeeper thought I was nuts.

lol yeah i know what ya mean! we called the guy who had a booth at the flea market "Dr.no-teeth".he was some old whacked out dude who I'm sure thought I was crazy! especially after getting some other insanely good stuff like D.R.I.,S.O.D.,ludichrist,and cryptic slaughter.I worked my way back with slayer(after hearing hell awaits) as well.I had friends who at the time didnt dig them(slayer). we always met halfway though because I was so into alot of the thrash bands.friends would like metallica but not megadeth. anthrax but not slayer etc. others liked it all but had thier faves.btw. awesome mention of exciter! I forgot about them! I had the first metal church and exciter violence and force on tape! haunting the chapel was one of the few slayer l.p.'s. i wasnt able to actually get until later.ironaclly i came across the rare picture disc(remember those!?) live undead first. the vinyl version I think only came as one. my friend had it on cassette.killer memories!

nyhc7163 said:
lol yeah i know what ya mean! we called the guy who had a booth at the flea market "Dr.no-teeth".he was some old whacked out dude who I'm sure thought I was crazy! especially after getting some other insanely good stuff like D.R.I.,S.O.D.,ludichrist,and cryptic slaughter.I worked my way back with slayer(after hearing hell awaits) as well.I had friends who at the time didnt dig them(slayer). we always met halfway though because I was so into alot of the thrash bands.friends would like metallica but not megadeth. anthrax but not slayer etc. others liked it all but had thier faves.btw. awesome mention of exciter! I forgot about them! I had the first metal church and exciter violence and force on tape! haunting the chapel was one of the few slayer l.p.'s. i wasnt able to actually get until later.ironaclly i came across the rare picture disc(remember those!?) live undead first. the vinyl version I think only came as one. my friend had it on cassette.killer memories!

Haha, yeah, I definately remember picture discs, and in fact had the Live Undead picture disc from Slayer. It may have been all that was available initially. I had a few, including W.A.S.P., Motorhead, and a Metallica Jump In the Fire single disc. Also, I remember specifically which cassettes and which albums I had. Hell Awaits was LP, as was Long Live The Loud, Show No Mercy etc. For a long time my interaction with my collection consisted primarily of listening to tapes I'd made of my albums, my own scratchy handwriting on the case. Ah, LPs, you gotta love 'em.

My introduction to Slayer:

Back in the mid 80s, MTV used to have a weekly (or was it bi-monthly?) show dedicated to metal. As opposed to the typical MTV "VJ", the shows were hosted by the metal elite of the day.

One such episode was hosted by BRUCE DICKINSON. This had to be late 1985, as LAD was just released and Bruce was shown in the streets of NY screaming "Get your Iron Maiden albums here", while carrying about a dozen vinyl copies!
(you can imagine the looks he received)

Keep in mind that this was right before the thrash explosion. Metallica's Ride the Lightning was garnering significant praise, Anthrax's "Madhouse" video was being aired on MTV, but, overall, thrash was STILL mostly underground. And my exposure to it was limited.

Anyway, the MTV show would feature, in addition to videos, tour dates, news and new releases. One of the new releases Bruce was commenting on was a VHS named "The Ultimate Revenge", a video released by Combat Records (remember them?) featuring, and I quote Bruce "the music of Exodus, Slayer and Venom"! A snippet of the video was shown: Slayer, performing "Die By the Sword". Seeing Tom Araya snarl in the microphone, seeing Jeff Hanneman play a Les Paul with a chain wrapped around its body, and seeing Kerry thrash away with that wristguard of NAILS was all I needed to experience! I needed to know this band!

I immediately set out to acquire any Slayer product I could find. And within a day or two, I purchased a casette copy of 'Haunting the Chapel'. And I was hooked. I remember this as if it was yesterday.

I vividly remember this MTV show with Bruce hosting as I'd set the VCR to record all of the shows and I'd proceed to watch them literally hundreds of times. Literally hundreds!!

(as an aside, this show was also my first exposure to Saxon: "Broken Heroes" video. I liked the song, but never followed up on them, only really 'discovering' this great band last year)

All right, I'll pitch in. I've started this a coupla times, figured it would be far too boring a read, and then scrapped it. It's not specific albums that did it for me but a couple of events, really. So here goes.

I grew up in a monstrous valley in Southern Colorado. To get out of the valley and go somewhere that had any kind of metal music meant traversing a 10,000' pass through the mountains. The crappy car I had probably wouldn't have made it. The fact that I was a young, inexperienced driver meant that borrowing the folks' car was out of the question. I got over the hill about two times a year with the folks and you can bet they wouldn't drop me off at any of the cool record stores in the "big city". They did go into one with me once and of course they saw the "tobacco products" counter not five steps in the door. That was the last time I ever bothered to even ask.

The local radio stations played top 40, country, and easy listening. The easy listening FM station bled over the dial so badly that we couldn't pick up the cool AOR station from over the hill until the local went off the air at 11:00 pm. There were more than a few mornings that it was difficult to get out of bed. We could pick up an AM station out of Oklahoma City on the skip at nights that wasn't too bad. There was an LA station that we would listen to on Sunday nights because they had Dr. Ruth's Sex Talk show on for two whole hours. Cripes! What an education!

So what I'm getting at is that it was isolated. My main sources of information were Hit Parader, Circus, and Metal Shop -- the only show with teeth. I did have one other, very important source.

One of my best friends at the time had rich parents, a nice car, and was independant. He was from another small town in the valley whose teachers had gone on strike for quite a while. His father moved him up to my town and set him up with his own apartment so his education wouldn't be interrupted. There was always beer in the fridge, a Risk game in progress on the table, and metal on the stereo. He had tons of disposable "income" and went over the hill on a regular basis. He always had at least one new album from some band I'd never heard of. I don't know where I would have ended up music wise if it hadn't been for him.

Concerts? Forget about it. Back in those days you had to go get the tickets in person. That meant going over the hill. But there was a small college in town and they'd have a concert sometime during the school year. My first concert was one of those. Greg Kihn with Rail as the warmup. Rail was metal, from Seattle, and had won MTV's unsigned band contest or something. Yeah, it was small time but I was hooked from there on out. The next Spring the above mentioned friend acquired two tickets to Ozzy/Motley Crue in Denver. Wow! What an eye-opener that was. That trip to and from Denver could be turned into a coming-of-age novel.

A coupla months later the Crue got kicked off the tour (Sharon was involved) and went on their own small hall headlining tour. They scheduled a stop in Colorado Springs and I got tickets. Saxon was the warm up. The drummer from Saxon played the cymbals with flaming drumsticks during his solo! Holy crap!

A year later the local college got Jag Panzer in for a show. Now *that* was freakin' metal. They played in the old auditorium and kept flipping the breakers because they were drawing too much power. A month later I met Mark Briodi in Springs through a friend of a friend and bought the first two JP albums from him. Still got them and the autograph is still pristine.

A month after that I moved to Phoenix. First concert there was Motley Crue with Loudness as the warm up. After that it's a blur.

Hopefully that wasn't too boring. I got a little diarhea of the keyboard there.

i too shall name my albums which have connected to me with a special bond.

Iron Maiden- iron maiden, killers, number of the beast, piece of mind, powerslave, somewhere in time, seventh son, no prayer, fear of the dark, x-factor, virtual xi, brave new world, rock in rio, dance of death.

Blind Guardian- nightfall in middle earth
Brainstorm- soul temptation
Nocturnal Rites- shadowland
Falconer- falconer
Bruce Dickinson- chemica wedding
Helloween- keeper of the seven keys part 1
Metallica- ride the lightning
Tad Morose- modus vivendi
Edguy- mandrake
Hammerfall- glory to the brave.

those are the ones that cme to mind best

wheezer and no-mercy both cool posts.I enjoy hearing about everyones intro/special bond into the world of heavy metal.soundmaster,I also had seen the same exact clip on the ultimate revenge tour! Bruce was hosting the 1/2hour metal thingy.it was the first time I had seen slayer(besides on l.p.s).In fact back in 85' I asked my then religious parents to BUY me the ultimate revenge for christmas.needless to say I didnt get it.but to add insult to injury asking"how come you didnt get me the video?".Mom said;"oh i had it in my hand and read the cover and said forget it".yipes! since then my folks have chilled big time and in fact supported my musical obsessions(even had band practice at the house) for many years.But back then it was PMRC! climate was a bit ruff for me getting metal.