Early Metal Memories......pardon my nostalgia

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I've really been enjoying reading folks' take on the thread with the 20/20 expose....metal in the old days as it were. I've found all the posts interesting, and most true to my own experience. So, I thought it might be cool to hear some thoughts from any of you who might like to share on your introduction to music and or metal....and I'll start with mine.....

First off, I just plain started early. The stories I like to hear my mom tell most about me as a kid consist of me laying on the floor in front of this old, weird stereo we had....it was like a piece of furniture, and listening to whatever we had playing. She tells me that when she put Cecelia by Simon and Garfunkle on....I'd come running from wherever I was in the house and just stare at the stereo. It was one of those things that you could "stack" records on the spindle...and when one was done, the next would drop and play.

I had brothers and sisters, so there were various record players in the house....and i remember telling my mom one year, "You know, I'm the one who reeeeeally likes music....should I have a record player?" She got me one for Christmas. One of those portables that latched shut....and had a handle to carry it around. Just a little thing with a self contained speaker. Totally shitty by today's standards. She gave me three records with it....Sesame Street Fever (ha), a Beegees record, and the Grease soundtrack. So, this would have to be 1978. I was seven years old. My brother had Kiss' Rock and Roll Over and Love Gun....and he didn't really care about them, or music even....so I basically "borrowed" those.....I remember sitting there for literally hours.....putting the needled back on my favorite song over and over again, whatever it was at the time. Mr. Speed from Rock and Roll Over got literally worn out. I also pilfered some 45's from other siblings....like Kansas' Carry On My Wayward Son, and The Eagles Life in the Fast Lane. The first time I heard the unedited version of Carry On My....I was like, "What the hell is that part?"....because 45s were generally edited.....shorter versions. I was so music crazy that I traded three star wars figures and some other toys to my brother for his copy of Alive II.

The next year, I bought my first record with money saved up from various birthdays and whatnot. It was Kiss' Dynasty. I took it home and put the needle on it....only to watch it slide all the way through I Was Made For Lovin' you......I had to place pennies on top of the record arm to keep it from skipping....the rest of the record played fine. My sister saw KISS that year, and we dropped her off at the show.....she was to ride home with a friend....this was in Madison Wisconsin. I didn't even know where we were taking her, and I cried all the way home when I found out.

My record collection grew, but mostly with the balance of Kiss' catalogue to be frank.....and I had to save every penny I could to get those records, or wait for Christmas. My mom would say, "write your Christmas list!!!!!" every year, but she basically ignored it to be frank. Mine always consisted only of records. But moving on......

In 1981 I was given an early walkman for Christmas. This thing was hilarious....it was literally like a car stereo, in that you injected the tape into the deck....and it was about the size of a car stereo too....and the fastforward button worked the same and everything. It had shoulder strap, and a great big volume knob. It was a riot, but pretty cutting edge at the time. It came with a copy of AC/DC's for those about to rock.....and Foreigner 4. I liked the Foreigner enough, but the AC/DC record just plain changed my whole polarity. I was ten years old at the time. I listened to it so much that the words wore off the tape in about 3 weeks, so that it just looked like a blank white tape....owing to the way I had to put the tape into the deck....That record, more than any other, was my true introduction to hard rock.....I was into other stuff like Billy Squier, and was buying older AC/DC records.....but everything changed in 1982.....

We used to have to go to Sprinfgield (we moved to Missouri when I was nine) to shop at a mall, or what have you....school shopping and all that.....and when we did I'd make good and sure to have saved at least 20 bucks from mowing lawns or whatever....so I could buy at least two tapes. I'd heard whispers about Iron Maiden.....and found Number of the Beast on a trip to "the big city" one time. Even the artwork mesmerized me.....so I bought it having no real idea what to expect. I listened to it when I got home.....and I remember saying to my brother "Holy SHIT, this is what I've been looking for...." I hadn't been able to listen to it in the car by the way, because I was banned from using the walkman in the car because I played it so loud that "everybody has to listen to what you are listening to...." according to my father. ha. I mean, in headphones......

Of course, it was all downhill from there.....metal started to really bust, and I looked for heavier and heavier stuff, until finally I kinda levelled out and just liked everything, give or take. I had to scrounge around, special order....whatever I could....and remember buying more than one record simply because it was on, say, megaforce records....or because the ad in the back of some magazine made it sound cool. "The new Exciter record will RIP YOUR FACE OFF!!!!"

Ha. Anyway, there are a lot more details in there worth sharing, but this is long enough.....I'd really like to hear how some of you got into metal.....or music even......did somebody turn you on to it....or, like it feels to me, was it just kind of always there, as long as you can remember. Which is a true statement I think.....I don't remember EVER not being obsessed with music....and I can remember back a LONG way.....

Do tell?

Wiz... that's a great story! You were and were not old enough to enjoy metal as it really broke out... you were old enough to listen but not go to the shows. In my case I was born in 1979, therefore obviously I had to go "back in time" and discover the bands instead of discovering the bands as they were breaking out. I grew up with tapes, and remember my dad listening to such bands as Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Alan Parson's Project, Journey, Emerson Lake & Palmer etc etc I was always into music as a little girl... but being an only child I did not get any exposure to metal until I myself started digging around and listening to diff radio stations (south america has always had their doors open to metal.. so yes, you get it on the radio).

I first started with Deep Purple and Kiss (I remember saving up for several of their tapes, I was 14 and at that time I was already smoking cigarettes... I remember cutting down on them just to save more for the tapes) then it was Bon Jovi... I did not rest until I had their whole catalogue, I was crazed!

A few years later I had a boyfriend who was a metalhead and he opened my eyes to a shitload of cool bands (he started me off easy with Danzig... thus my love for his music). Then I heard Iron Maiden and that was it for me :worship: I thought to myself "this music is unreal" I felt priviledged to have discovered it and just could not get enough, my first Maiden CD was SSOASS.

From then on I grabbed all the metal I could get my hands on, for the longest time I only liked traditional metal, then I discovered DT and started liking Progressive metal... then came power metal and extreme metal (It took me the longest time to really give extreme metal a chance, but once it sunked in I really got the chance to enjoy some of the better bands, I don't like it all yet I enjoy some such as Carcass, COB, In Flames).

That's pretty much it... here I stand a little girl no more, but a woman who still enjoys the heck out of her metal and thinks Iron Maiden is the greatest heavy metal band of all time :headbang:

Wow!! It is truly scary how similar our introduction to music was.

ElectricWiz said:
First off, I just plain started early. The stories I like to hear my mom tell most about me as a kid consist of me laying on the floor in front of this old, weird stereo we had....it was like a piece of furniture, and listening to whatever we had playing.

We had the same style chest/big old piece of furniture stero.. haha..

ElectricWiz said:
My brother had Kiss' Rock and Roll Over and Love Gun....and he didn't really care about them, or music even....so I basically "borrowed" those.....I remember sitting there for literally hours.....putting the needled back on my favorite song over and over again, whatever it was at the time. Mr. Speed from Rock and Roll Over got literally worn out.

For me it was my cousins. I still remember the day my cousin got Kiss Double Platinum and getting to hear Kiss for the first time.. 1978, I was 9 years old and totally obsessed with music from that day on. From there (like you Wiz) it was on to AC/DC and Van Halen and Priest and all the other great bands in the early 80's.

ElectricWiz said:
I was so music crazy that I traded three star wars figures and some other toys to my brother for his copy of Alive II.

:lol: The first trade I can remember making was 3 packs of firecrackers for cassettes of Eagles Live and REO Speedwagon's Hi Fidelity. :) MAN I loved that REO album at the time!!

ElectricWiz said:
The next year, I bought my first record with money saved up from various birthdays and whatnot. It was Kiss' Dynasty.

The first one I bought was Dble Plat, then Alive II. In fact Kiss was all I bought until I had them all then I started with AC/DC and the others. I still remember the first time I heard Priest, a friend of my Dad had an older son and he played British Steel for me. Completely blew my mind!! Staring at that album cover and hearing that music for the first time... man it gives me chills just thinking about it.

ElectricWiz said:
My sister saw KISS that year, and we dropped her off at the show.....she was to ride home with a friend....this was in Madison Wisconsin. I didn't even know where we were taking her, and I cried all the way home when I found out.

:lol: I had that experience also. It was the Dynasty (1979) tour and I was staying a couple weeks with my aunt and uncle in Washington DC. In the evening I would watch reruns of the old Batman TV show and they would play commercials for the up coming Kiss show at the Capitol Center. Man I would go nuts!! "PLEASE TAKE ME.. PLEEEAAASSSEEE!!!!!" But no luck. I'm still a little pissed off about that. :lol:

ElectricWiz said:
Of course, it was all downhill from there.....metal started to really bust, and I looked for heavier and heavier stuff, until finally I kinda levelled out and just liked everything, give or take. I had to scrounge around, special order....whatever I could....and remember buying more than one record simply because it was on, say, megaforce records....or because the ad in the back of some magazine made it sound cool. "The new Exciter record will RIP YOUR FACE OFF!!!!"

Same with me. It seamed like everything just exploded around 1983 or 84 or so. We got MTv and there were all of these great metal mags and there seemed to be a million great new bands every month. I would save every penny from mowing yards and helping around the house and such and blow it all on albums. From about 1980 to 1990 all I wanted for birthdays and X-mas was cash to buy more metal. I can remember mowing a yard and hoping on my bike and going straight to the store to by a Krokus album.. hahaha.. I bet I didn't have that 10 buck for more than 30 minutes. hahahaha

ElectricWiz said:
I don't remember EVER not being obsessed with music....and I can remember back a LONG way.....

That sums it up for me also. I got out of music for a couple years in the mid to late 90's because.. well becuase the music of that time sucks in my opinion. In 2000 I started hearing newer metal bands that I liked so I dove back in head first and have been swimming in metal since. Every year I find 5 or 10 bands I like so that keeps me going with the new stuff, but mainly I'm just into the old stuff from the 70's and 80's and early 90's. As obsessed as I was back then it still blows my mind how many of the bands I just plained missed and never got to hear. So these days I hunt for all of the music I missed back then

great thread ElWiz !! I love nostalgic stuff !!

I started my metal carreer somewhat around the same time I think...
I remember liking lots of music when I was little, but I remember very well that in the early 70's I was stuck to TV as glambands like Slade and Mud were on . I also got into music like Madness ,The Police, Blondie, you know, the good 70's pop-rock. somewhere in the line I also must have stumbeled upon Kiss too. I do remember the first cassette I had was "Highway to Hell" from AC/DC. First album strangly enough was also the Grease soundtrack!! My father brought it with him from his work at a local movie theater. First metal album I bought was "Woman and Children first" from Van Halen. Around age 14 or so some guys at my school made a Metal Magazine called "Sucks" , reading that kickstarted my interest in as much bands I could get my hands on. That was the correct time to get started as a few years later all of the better English and US bands recorded Heavy Metal masterpieces...
Here is a pic of me (right) , very early Metal years (note spikes wristband!!) . Must have been 12 or 13 years old on this one , so that's around 1979-80 !!

early.jpg

haha. Yeah, cool. Great to hear everyone's stories. Greeno...before the "metal" hit...I too was into that REO album. About that time I had Billy Squier's Don't Say No, Cheap Trick Live at Budakon....all the usual suspects. Plus, it was the Dynasty show that I was denied as well....so funny on that. It makes me laugh now, because if you watch a Kiss documentary or whatever, various members of the band were growing dissilusioned at that time because they were becoming cartoony, and more little kids were coming to the shows. So, I was kind of part of the problem! Haha.

And Pabla, it's true I was too young for shows....and we lived too far away from Kansas City and St. Louis for my folks to let me go. My first concert was the Kiss Anamimalize tour with Queensryche. My friend's mom took us out of school....took us to the show four hours away, and brought us back the next day for the second half of that day's school. My mom "okay'd" this, so there was nothing clandestine...haha. It was my friends birthday...and our freindship had been founded on Kiss in the 4th grade, when I noticed some Kiss bubblegum cards in his desk. When we went to the show, his mom let him choose between Kiss and Iron Maiden (Powerslave tour - Twisted Sister opening). The choice, I know, would seem obvious....but we were such big Kiss fans growing up that it only seemed right to see them first. It was kind of a let down actually....as they had no makeup of course...but nothing could POSSIBLY have lived up to the visions I had in my head of what bands looked like on stage.....

Also, nice pic Carnut. I've got a few hanging out like that too....I'll scan one or two and put 'em up, but they are about the same. That is, nothing definably metal about me, except the one wristband I could find, or "cool" sunglasses.....haha. Very funny stuff. Though I do have some pictures of me with real bootleg looking shirts that I "won" at the county fair or something.....I had a Speak of the Devil shirt like that, a Def Leppard shirt....a few others....

Early days

Well I was (am) a very timid kid andbeing the only child spoiled brat as can be. I grw up with lots of music but mostly from my parents youth and taste, so even Elvis Presley was "too new" in my household. Classic music, opera, tango and Argentinian folk music was my upbringing.

Like any other kid in the 70's and 80's I was exposed to radio and early video attempts. I hated disco (still do) but undoubtedly rock tunes here and there left a mark in my growth (Beatles, Rolling Stones, Animals, Who, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, B.O.C., Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, etc.) even without my knowledge.

Highschool days

Still I was not into music outside the box and my only pleasure was ABBA (being disco I'm amazed how I like it) and I was very ridiculized by classmates at the time for my fever.
My classmate Sergio which in a sense was more an outcast than I was at school found his way into metal and he being a very rich spoiled kid (the elder of three) had cable (MTV from the first year) and access to albums at his leisure. He first introduced me to Iron Maiden with 'Number Of The Beast' video and I hate it (as well as Judas Priest You've Got another Thing Comin') I wasn't ready for such "violence" :lol: , but all and all since our firendship was strong he kept trying to get me into that and thus...

Born again

...one day at his house he showed me the video of 'Flight Of Icarus' commenting that he didn't like it as much as the other song.

I can't explain why or how but I sware by the gods that day the video left me such a etch in my soul that nothing has been the same since that day.

So pretty soon by the time of 10th grade (1982) I was definitively looking for songs like 'Stairway To Heaven', 'For Those About To Rock (we salute you)', 'Paranoid', 'Bringing On The Heartbreak' and 'Flight Of Icarus'.
Our expose to metal was low since all music was imported (and expensive) and came here very late compared to USA or UK, moreover this was before Internet, Headbangers Ball and many publications (the best I could get at the time was Hit Parader and Circus).

The first albums I got were Led Zeppelin "IV (zofo)", Iron Maiden "Piece Of Mind" (on tape and I still got it) and Black Sabbath "Live Evil". By the end of 11th grade both my friends Sergio and Abraham managed to bring "Screaming For Vengeance", "Defenders Of The Faith", "Powerslave" on tape and we quickly made copies at my house (I had two decks :D).
After my first year in college (1984) I met Darren and he flood me with: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Def Leppard, Thin Lizzy, Rush, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Motorhead, Saxon, Malmsteen, Dio and more.

By the time I was 17 I was a geek metalhead but a metalhead nevertheless and there was no turning back. For over 20 years I've collecting albums and even if my tastes are very narrow I have managed to get 1115 albums (up to this day more on the road and what I can get at PPVII :p ).

Oh and I did had long hair
andthereyouwent2.jpg

NP: Motorhead - 'Sword Of Glory'

Great stories everyone! I love the nostalgiac stuff too. I have a hundred short stories I can tell, but I've compiled an overview of my music obsession. Of course, being a writer, I tend to be long-winded, so get yourself a fresh beverage before you start reading. :) I will separate my story into three different posts, because I'm sure there is a character limit somewhere long before my story ends. So, let's start with...

THE BEGINNING

My "real" interest in music all started in 1980 and it all goes back to that GEEK thread! I was exposed to music by my Dungeons and Dragons friends in Southern Idaho. Our dungeon master would often play songs in the background during certain parts of our campaign, songs that fit what was going on in the game. I distinctly remember him incorporating JP's Metal Gods, Sabbath's Iron Man, BOC's Black Blade, and Pink Floyd's Time. That's when music became something more than just background noise. Those guys got me into Sabbath, Priest, BOC and Pink Floyd. I also remember catching some April Wine, Kansas, Foghat, Foreigner, and other bands on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert (we always took a break in the game when Rock Concert came on!)

We moved to a different city the next year so I had to make new friends, and that started a spreading revolution for me. I'd always make friends with the guys who I knew were into music. One of my first friends loaned me his LP copy of Blizzard of Ozz and I was totally blown away. Then I met my UMOS buddy, rokk, and his band of KISS fantatics. We hung out together for a couple years, always working together to taste new music. We'd try to get as many of us as possible on a run to the "big" city for our hauls (I remember rokk's mom driving us many times, in her old VW van!). The goal was for everyone to buy something different so we didn't have any repeats. That way we got to sample more new bands, and then we'd share the music with each other by *gasp* pirating the LPs onto cassette. I distinctly remember being with rokk when we discovered bands like Scorpions, Motley Crue, Kix, DEMON!!!, Motorhead, etc.

Then rokk went and got married with children and I found my best friend in the whole world, Lorenzo (and we're still best friends today). Lorenzo came from a HUGE family that all had strong musical interests stretching back into the 60s. It was through Lorenzo that I was introduced to Thin Lizzy, UFO, Frank Marino, Michael Schenker Group, Pat Travers, Tommy Bolin, etc. It was Lorenzo who was responsible for my belated appreciation of 70s music, because I was too young and uninterested at the time.

THE MIDDLE

Life continued on the same path with me and Lorenzo and our Dead Buddy, Niel. Lorenzo was into everything, including some new wave acts like Depeche Mode and Berlin. Neil was an awesome guitar player, and he idolized guitar heroes like Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, Jimi Hendrix and later Yngwie Malmsteen. Neil was also huge into the blues, Stevie Ray Vaughan in particular. These guys helped me appreciate many different forms of music, but I still was mostly just interested in the heavy metal. That's all I bought, to the point where Lorenzo's little brother nicknamed me "Strictly Metal" because of my inability to fully embrace these other forms of music. I wore that Strictly Metal banner proudly!!

I remember the three of us discovering great bands like Savatage, Metal Church, Fates Warning, Overkill, Queensryche, etc. Mostly we discovered new bands through magazines like Hit Parader and Circus (and later the early editions of Kerrang). We had a blast in those days, my most pleasant memories I can recall. All partying and discovering new rock-n-roll!

I moved to Phoenix in 1988 and that was also a huge step in my evolvement. Because finally I could see concerts whenever I wanted...and WHOever I wanted! Southern Idaho wasnt' exactly a preferred destination spot for touring bands, so I was suddenly faced with 3-4 concerts PER WEEK, rather than 3-4 concerts PER YEAR in Idaho. I went nuts with concerts in those first few years, basically spending all my extra money buying new music and attending concerts. Saw Dio 3 times, Maiden and Ozzy 4 times, Queensryche 3 times, Flotsam all the time, and a boatload of one offs like Fates Warning, Scorpions, MSG, Slayer, Helloween, Anthrax and many more I can't remember without digging out all my old ticket stubs.

I basically burned myself out on concerts after awhile, and by 1993 my interest in music was waning because of two contributing factors: the onset of the Grunge movement which I didn't care for, and the fact that I kept getting kicked out of apartments for playing my music so loud. (I can't control my volume knob very well. It turns up just fine, but it won't turn down for some reason. :D ) I sold my stereo and basically gave up on music, focusing instead on NASCAR races. Instead of spending money on concerts, I spent them on NASCAR races, including annual trips to the east coast to see races in Richmond and Charlotte and Martinsville and Dover.

I never walked away from music completely, as I still had my old 80s cassettes to listen to. But my obsession was smothered completely and music was no longer a priority.

THE CURRENT

My obsession with music was rekindled again in 2001, thanks again to Lorenzo. He told me about the program called Morpheus, which at the time was the up and coming alternative to Napster. OH MY GOD, a plethora of new music to listen to! And it was through Morpheus that I discovered that my old school heavy metal never did go away. Here in America it did. But overseas, old-school bands, both new and old, were still chugging right along, releasing all kinds of great music. I was in Heaven. First two bands I discovered was one of my old faves, Savatage, who had been releasing some killer albums with their new singer all thru the 90s, but I wasn't aware. Also discovered Ayreon, and Ayreon led me to Therion, which led to Nightwish, and on and on.

My interest in music is now stronger than it has ever been, thanks mostly to the Internet. I've got over 200 cds I never would have bought if not for free downloading. I still joke with Lorenzo about him owing me thousands of dollars to replace what I've spent on cds...because of him! If he hadn't introduced me to Morpheus, I'd still be listening to my old 80s cassettes all the time. Now I've got my old 80s music which still sounds sweet to my ears, plus a stockpile of newer bands playing the same kind of music.

With the resurgence of popularity in old-school metal, I see nothing but bright lights and great tunes in the future. And Thank God for that. I am back where I belong, up to my ears in great metal music both new and old. :headbang:

Pretty much goes like this for me:

I began listening to Alice Cooper's "School's Out" Smoke on the Water, The Eagles and Queen. My dad sat me down one day and said "listen to this" and played "Rock Candy" by Montrose. My mouth dropped. I had never heard anything so heavy. At the time I was probably 10.

After that I slowly slipped into Kiss (Which I was a HUGE fan of for several years), Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi, and then finally real metal had hit....Metallica!

The rest they say is history.

My path to music is similar, in parts, to what others here have shared. However, Kiss wasn’t the band that turned me on to music at all. Rather, it was Duran Duran!

Prologue
It all began in the mid-late 70s on the glorious weekend day known as Saturday. My mother also had one of those gargantuan record players which doubled as a piece of furniture and every Saturday, after morning cartoons, she’d turn off the TV, turn on the stereo, and commence with her weekly house cleaning routine. This effort translated into approx 6 hours of TV-free music from 70s pop artists such as Elton John, Carpenters, Chicago, Simon & Garfunkel, Beatles, Abba, BeeGees etc., 70s disco, as well as late 60s Motown and pop. And this took place literally every Saturday for as far back as I can remember! The songs of the day were etched into my memory whether I wanted them to be, or not. Although I wasn’t yet old enough to appreciate these songs, their impact would sneak up on me in a few years time.

Around my 10th birthday (1981), my family was the first on the block to subscribe to cable tv. In addition to the then revolutionary HBO, cable provided access to MTV. At first, I had little interest in the silly videos/songs of the day. I simply was yet to be moved by music.
However, in early 1983, a video by Duran Duran changed that. Forever. I forget which song it was – probably ‘Hungry Like the Wolf’ – but it really grabbed my attention. I can’t explain what it was about the video/song that moved me so, but I found myself totally lovin’ it, singing along every single time the video came on. So I asked my parents for a record player and a Duran Duran album for that Christmas.

By this time, my mother’s musical tastes had tanked. So along with the record player and Duran Duran’s “Rio” album, I was ‘blessed’ that Christmas morning with Donna Summer, Culture Club and Asiarecords – none of which I requested or even liked!! But I had the Duran record, which I proceeded to play out until I grew sick and tired of it. With that boredom came a desire to find something else I’d enjoy. So I rummaged through my parents album collection and threw on their dusty old 70s albums (again, Chicago, Rod Stewart, Elton John, Eagles, etc). These were much more to my liking. The fact of that matter is that they were more rocking (relative to Duran), more primal, and easier to relate to. Even as a child, I couldn’t get into the pop music of the early 80s (aside from a few). But with that said, they were still "my parents' music". I was a pre-teen and wanted something "cool", something for my generation.

So all was well in my world. I still cited Duran as my fav, had by then also discovered the Police, and Journey. My record collection grew to approximately 15 albums! And I’d still refer to my parents’ old records, from time to time. In my ignorance, I thought I was an expert on music! But then something funny happened on the way to heaven. My older brother brought home an album called Pyromania by a very oddly named band. I still remember leaving his room awestruck at the sounds emanating from his stereo. “What the hell was that?” I asked myself. Never had I heard such energetic, angry (well, not really), vibrant, primal music before. My brother commenced to explain that this band, Def Leppard, was a heavy metal band. “Heavy what?” Needless to say, my Duran & Police records were permanently relegated to storage. I must have played this “Pyromania” album 1,000 times in one month. Shortly thereafter, I saw a new video on MTV from another oddly named - but heavy - band, Quiet Riot, for a song called “Cum on Feel the Noize”. I soon marched out, picked that record up, and, within 6 months, had a collection to make any 13 year old metal head proud! It consisted of Scorpions (Love At First Sting), Motley Crue (Shout), Ratt (Cellar), Twisted Sister (Stay Hungry), Quiet Riot & Def Leppard. Basically, any hard rock band that MTV was giving high rotation to was on my radar. I could relate to these bands (as cheesy as they were) far more so than Duran, Police, or any non-hard rock bands.

Around this time (summer 1984), while tuning in to the (one) local rock radio station, I stumbled upon a Sunday night special radio program hosted by someone calling himself “The King Of Dirt”. With a name like that, I had to stay tuned. Sure enough, it was a tribute to metal. As soon as I realized it was a metal show, I popped a blank tape in the stereo and hit the ‘record’ button. I expected bands similar to Crue and Ratt. Instead, for the very first time, I heard Judas Priest (Metal Gods, Screaming for Vengeance), Accept (Balls to the Wall), Black Sabbath (Iron Man), Dio (Rainbow In the Dark), Ozzy (I Don’t Know) and IRON MAIDEN (Flight of Icarus). Life has simply never been the same. Those were the first songs I’d heard from each of those bands. “Icarus” particularly floored me. Within a few weeks, I picked up “Piece of Mind” and “Number of the Beast” on the same day. My love for Maiden – and true metal - began that day…sometime in late summer 1984.

I know these are the exact songs I heard as I kept that cassette for probably a decade, playing it often…..and still getting the same goose-bumps that those songs initially provided. For some stupid reason, I threw the tape away. Memories…down the drain. :ill:

But, getting back to the story, this was music. It was as if the gods came down to earth and spoke to me personally. I think everyone here knows the feeling. And the journey – the true journey - began.

Epilogue
About 8-9 years later, in the early 90s, after having discovered Led Zeppelin, I developed an overall fondness for all things 70s. In search of the (supposed) glory of that decade, I found myself listening to the local light music radio station. Between every awful & heartless Michael Bolton, Michael Jackson, or Celine Dion atrocity, the station played some rare gems: those same songs my mother played two decades before from Elton John, Carpenters, Rod Stewart, Abba, Bee Gees, and Simon & Garfunel.

I had come full circle.