Megadeth Vs. Metallica 1986

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
I remember back in '86, I was 12 years old that summer. Me and a friend, named Jeremy, had this heated discussion, that nearly lead to blows. I remember that he was saying at that time how Metallica was better than Megadeth. He was a fan of Megadeth, but preferred Metallica. I was the opposite. I sided with Megadeth, but also liked Metallica at the time. You see back then, this was the heaveist shit we had ever heard. We liked Maiden & Priest, but they pailed in comparison to the "crunch," of those two bands. We hadn't even discovered Motorhead, Venom, Diamond Head or any of that. My point? Well, if we could have travelled into the future to see what these bands would then become. We would have never guessed that Metallica would have recorded Load & we wouldn't have even thought that there would have been a Risk. I think back then we would have never guessed. I guess it's a good thing no one got hurt that day...:p

Over here Metallica was the big thing. I bought the album, took it to some friends and were headbanging the whole album...Megadeth was okay too, but nowhere near Metallica. Nowdays I tend to think different if I have to choose...

When I first heard "Ride the Lightning" in summer '85, my jaw dropped. NOTHING was as heavy, in my opinion. Shortly thereafter, I stumbled upon Slayer's "Hell Awaits" and began to realize that an entire genre of ultra-heavy, sick-as-hell music existed!

And my Maiden-Priest-Sabbath records began collecting a lot of dust for a year, or two!

I hate to admit it, swine, but I am tired of fighting the good fight for metallica. For years I have defended their every move, and while I always thought everything before the BLACK album was best, I would defend them on LOAD, St Anger and the like, saying that they were just "different"...well, after all this Some Kinda Monster crap I feel like I have been defending them for nothing. For years all we heard from James and Lars is how "MOTORHEAD influenced us! VENOM. DIAMOND HEAD...real rebellious stuff is what motivated us" and blah blah blah. Well, last time I checked, I never heard of LEMMY needing a $40,000a day rock n roll therapist to help him deal with the agonies he faces in being a multimillionaire. I dunno. I think I just recently realized what a bunch of ungrateful DICKHEADS metallica are. Fuck them. Here's the kicker...I recently bought BINGE AND PURGE on dvd at best buy...it was on sale for $24.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A steal! But watching it really cements the deal that they are nothing like they were. Live or on record. They have become, for lack of a better word, BORING. STERILE. PUSSIES.

Sorry James. You were once a hero, now you're just a King Nothing.

tedvanfrehley said:
I hate to admit it, swine, but I am tired of fighting the good fight for metallica. For years I have defended their every move, and while I always thought everything before the BLACK album was best, I would defend them on LOAD, St Anger and the like, saying that they were just "different"...well, after all this Some Kinda Monster crap I feel like I have been defending them for nothing. For years all we heard from James and Lars is how "MOTORHEAD influenced us! VENOM. DIAMOND HEAD...real rebellious stuff is what motivated us" and blah blah blah. Well, last time I checked, I never heard of LEMMY needing a $40,000a day rock n roll therapist to help him deal with the agonies he faces in being a multimillionaire. I dunno. I think I just recently realized what a bunch of ungrateful DICKHEADS metallica are. Fuck them. Here's the kicker...I recently bought BINGE AND PURGE on dvd at best buy...it was on sale for $24.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A steal! But watching it really cements the deal that they are nothing like they were. Live or on record. They have become, for lack of a better word, BORING. STERILE. PUSSIES.

Sorry James. You were once a hero, now you're just a King Nothing.
:OMG: WOW! I can't beieve YOU said all that! ...welcome to the Twilight Zone...
What's the lesson here, kids? Don't fuck with ted, or he'll burn your ass 10-fold! Take that, Lar$ and Co.!

Since I got BOTH bands in 1992 there was no discussion for me. But I DO remember that the albums I like the most at that time were "Countdown To Extinction" and "Rust In Piece" over the rest of Megadeth and Metallica. From Metallica "Kill 'Em All" was ruling in the beginning.
Now with the passing of time I still like more Megadeth over Metallica as a whole, but undoubtely "Master Of Puppets" is one of the best metal and thrash metal albums of all time, and because it's novelty and sheer energy I have it a bit above "Rust In Piece" in the historic rank.

Now as players, Mustaine/Ellefson/Friedman/Menza are far more superior than Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammet/Newsted. Burton is a better bass player than Ellefson, and the early Metallica albums are better played than the early Megadeth (IMO).

So bottomline is kind of difficult to compare both bands within certain parameters, and this comparisons are part of the "most annoying thread" :lol: :p

Thank you WIcked Child, my brother. One thing all you guys have made me do is take a cold hard look at what's real and what ain't...and there's too much good stuff out there to waste time on anything less than true ballzout metal! Arrrrrgh.

Lars and James can go be make love to one another like their therapist taught them...but as for me, I'll take PEACE SELLS over the Black Album!

I guess my point is this:

In the old days METALLICA decimated Megadeth....my opinion...

But NOW it looks like Mustaine has the most integrity. He stuck to his guns. No ballads and no "nothing else matters" or hipster makeup and boas...no sperm on an album cover...so Mustaine gets my vote today!

Until Metal Church released "Blessing in Disguise in 1988," Metallica were the kings in my ears. James was the better vocalist, songwriter and guitarist. Lars was the better drummer, Cliff was the better bassist and Kirk was the better lead compared to the Megadeth lineup.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Until Metal Church released "Blessing in Disguise in 1988," Metallica were the kings in my ears. James was the better vocalist, songwriter and guitarist. Lars was the better drummer, Cliff was the better bassist and Kirk was the better lead compared to the Megadeth lineup.

Bryant
Wasn't BID released in '89? Anyhow, James the better vocalist? Yep. Better songwriter? To some extent. better guitarist? No way!!! Remember it was Dave who handled lead duties in their most early days! Cliff certainly blew Dave Jr. off the stage but Lars better than Gar? Again: No way!!! Same with Kirk and Chris. Kirk was good but Chris was the real pro here.

I'm not a Megadeth fan... never have been never will be. The first 2 albums are ok but nothing special to me. Dave's voice is like nails on a blackboard to my ears. :lol: So far So Good was the last new album I bought, after that I didn't pay attention to their releases.

Greeno said:
I'm not a Megadeth fan... never have been never will be. The first 2 albums are ok but nothing special to me. Dave's voice is like nails on a blackboard to my ears. :lol: So far So Good was the last new album I bought, after that I didn't pay attention to their releases.
You are not the first one that express that about Dave's vocals. To me is very strange because I'm highly allergic to screechers and growlers, and Dave's vocals are find for me.

In any case if one day walking into a used CD store you find "Rust In Piece" gave it a try. Is one of the best thrash albums of all time, worth to check indeed ;)

I also dislike Mustaine's vocals. They're probably the main reason that I prefer Metallica's early stuff slightly to Megadeth's, but I've also always enjoyed the former's tendency to be a bit tighter in the song-writing department over the latter's flashiness.

You're right. Dave is really no singer. The vocals have always been Megadeth's weak spot. But I can live with them. Same with most of the screechers and growlers Wyv mentioned. Oddly enough I have never considered Rob Halford to be an outstanding singer. I guess it's all a matter of taste...

DrillSergeant said:
Wasn't BID released in '89? Anyhow, James the better vocalist? Yep. Better songwriter? To some extent. better guitarist? No way!!! Remember it was Dave who handled lead duties in their most early days! Cliff certainly blew Dave Jr. off the stage but Lars better than Gar? Again: No way!!! Same with Kirk and Chris. Kirk was good but Chris was the real pro here.

Actually you are right about Poland.... what was I thinking !?!?!?! Gar wasn't impressive to me though. Lars sucks now, but he was pretty awesome in the day. Of course as drummers go, the mighty Lombardo was the shit with Arrington behind. Dude.... Kirk Arrington never achieved the kudos he should have got from "Blessing in Disguise." That SOB was badass on that release!!!

Bryant