Megadeth vs Metallica

Megadeth or Metallica

• Megadeth

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • Metallica

Votes: 26 56.5%

• Total voters
drinking-puke-o.gif

Megadeth has a been a lot more consistent than Metallica but I listen to the first 4 Metallica albums a lot more than Megadeth. None of Megadeth's stuff after Symphony of Destruction has done much for me even when they went back to making Thrash.

So I choose Metallica.

Reactions: CiG
First 4 are thrashiest for both bands, sure. I'd say Megadeth's first 7 are on par with metallicas first 5 though, if we include heavy metal songs/albums

Yeah those 90's Megadeth albums definitely dont get enough love around here. I still consider those album to be thrash/heavy metal though. Cryptic Writings is the only one out of the bunch that i would refer to as just heavy metal. Although it does have its thrashy moments (FFF, Vortex, The Disintegrators). Solid album.

Hardwired to Self Destruct,Death Magnetic,etc... these albums were written by Dave Mustaine, the riffs are original, he originated the riff, the technique, how you pick the strings, was invented by Mustaine.

Reactions: Herrick
Yeah those 90's Megadeth albums definitely dont get enough love around here. I still consider those album to be thrash/heavy metal though. Cryptic Writings is the only one out of the bunch that i would refer to as just heavy metal. Although it does have its thrashy moments (FFF, Vortex, The Disintegrators). Solid album.

I really need to revisit Cryptic Writings. I probably haven't listened to it since the late 1990s but I remember enjoying it. It was my first Megadeth album but I didn't really get into them until I bought Rust In Peace years later.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity

While I don't really like the first album, everything else up to Cryptic Writings is solid as fuck. After that, TSHF, Endgame and Dystopia were the best of the rest.

Reactions: zerostatic
My vote goes to Metallica. Their first four albums are untouchable in my book. And I do enjoy Peace Sells and Rust in Peace, but was never blown Away by them like some people. Also have to add that I believe it's ridiculous that people have turned on Master of Puppets within the last several years. Typical Metalhead mentality. I suppose too many people shared the opinion that it was their best album, which automatically caused a shift towards Ride the Lightning. It is ingrained in the metalheads DNA to be individual. I've seen that a lot throughout the years with different bands and different albums. People shifting gears because they're afraid to fit into the popular vote. Maybe I am wrong here. My favorite album has always been Master of Puppets, and that is the choice I will always stand by simply because that's what my ears tell me. It truly is a perfect album as far as I'm concerned. Whereas Ride the Lightning had a couple I always skipped. Escape, and For Whom the Bell Tolls. I know For Whom the Bell Tolls is considered a classic amongst most Metallica fans, but it has always bored me to death. Other than those two songs Ride the Lightning is a close second for me.

But youthanasia and countdown to Extinction are not at all thrash. They threw away the speed and went with a straight metal approach. Hate to be that guy who splits hairs over subgenres, but they really are not thrash albums.

lol. So you hear no thrash in those two albums? :lol: trust me, ive been splitting hairs over subgenres ever since ive been here and have been listening to thrash for just about my whole life. And that is honestly a pretty ridiculous statement.

they are thrash/heavy albums. RateYourMusic is your friend.

Countdown to Extinction
Mz3IO4n.png

Youthanasia

byHyMPI.png

Last edited:
My vote goes to Metallica. Their first four albums are untouchable in my book. And I do enjoy Peace Sells and Rust in Peace, but was never blown Away by them like some people. Also have to add that I believe it's ridiculous that people have turned on Master of Puppets within the last several years. Typical Metalhead mentality. I suppose too many people shared the opinion that it was their best album, which automatically caused a shift towards Ride the Lightning. It is ingrained in the metalheads DNA to be individual. I've seen that a lot throughout the years with different bands and different albums. People shifting gears because they're afraid to fit into the popular vote. Maybe I am wrong here. My favorite album has always been Master of Puppets, and that is the choice I will always stand by simply because that's what my ears tell me.

But obviously for those who prefer Ride the Lightning they didn't let their ears decide, they just followed the herd.

Ever thought that perhaps some people may think your preference for Master of Puppets is based solely on the fact that it's their most critically acclaimed album? After all, it's not that much different to what you're suggesting.

It truly is a perfect album as far as I'm concerned. Whereas Ride the Lightning had a couple I always skipped. Escape, and For Whom the Bell Tolls. I know For Whom the Bell Tolls is considered a classic amongst most Metallica fans, but it has always bored me to death. Other than those two songs Ride the Lightning is a close second for me.

Master of Puppets is a rehashing and "mature" take on the ideas already formed on RtL - they are structured almost exactly the same. It's no surprise that some people would prefer the more energetic, youthful and thrashy RtL. But of course,it's easier to just claim they prefer it for "typical metalhead mentality" reasons rather than evaluate the albums on a musical level. Practically none of these elitists that have this mentality would even be listening to fucking METALLICA in the first place.

Reactions: Bloopy
I can agree with him to an extent. There are a lot of try-hard metal hipsters that shit on Master of Puppets inexplicably when the quality is right on par with Ride the Lightning. You're one of them.

And on a "musical level", Puppets is clearly a more ambitious and complex album than Lightning. Autistic whining over track order similarities is a dumb UltraBoris meme.

Oh and Youthanasia is not remotely thrash metal. Countdown to Extinction has hints, but if you look at things objectively and forget the band recording the album, it's about as much thrash metal as, say, a post-Skunkworks Bruce Dickinson album. A few songs with heavier chugging riffs =/= a thrash metal album.

I can agree with him to an extent. There are a lot of try-hard metal hipsters that shit on Master of Puppets inexplicably when the quality is right on par with Ride the Lightning. You're one of them.

Of course you agree with him, he's basically you. And I don't shit on it, it's a decent record, I'm just not enamoured with it like you.

The quality is right on par in your opinion. In my opinion it isn't. One is a great record and the other is merely okay. It is more ambitious and complex, that I agree with. Unfortunately, in my opinion, it doesn't reach its ambition. And stop bringing up Ultraboris who has some of the worst/most ridiculous opinions on metal other than you.

UltraBoris is relevant because you just have to look at the M-A reviews of RTL vs MOP, or silly people on LastFM chatboxes, or elsewhere, to find an unjustified anti-MOP backlash. You are just another unwitting victim.

Oh and Youthanasia is not remotely thrash metal. Countdown to Extinction has hints, but if you look at things objectively and forget the band recording the album, it's about as much thrash metal as, say, a post-Skunkworks Bruce Dickinson album. A few songs with heavier chugging riffs =/= a thrash metal album.

dude, we've went through this.You are the last person here who should be labeling what is and what isn't thrash. "protest the hero are technical thrash metal" amirite? :lol:

and please, im telling you again stop trying to pass yourself off as some kind of thrash metal guy when you were nothing but a little flower metal pansy when i joined this forum.

dude, we've went through this.You are the last person here who should be labeling what is and what isn't thrash. "protest the hero are technical thrash metal" amirite? :lol:

and please, im telling you again stop trying to pass yourself off as some kind of thrash metal guy when you were nothing but a little flower metal pansy when i joined this forum.

BRO

BROOOOOO

BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity