Who was braver/better....

I don't bag them for doing a covers album. I'd love to do a covers album. I just think most of the covers suck personally. I don't like the sound/style or the production of them at all.

Tribute To The Gods is a much more solid covers album although I'd much rather the original versions obviously still, since I like Kiss, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Alice Cooper and Iron Maiden alot more than Iced Earth... But the Iced Earthized versions are still very cool (except God Of Thunder which is a snoozer).

One of the only bands I've heard who consistently does AWESOME covers, is Dungeon. Their versions of Queen Of The Reich, Wasted Years, Prowler, Caught Somewhere In Time, Wild Child and Stand And Fall are all excellent, and pay great tribute to the originals while "Dungeonizing" them a bit.... and the Metalized versions of Call Me and Hold The Line are awesome too! Hold The Line is one of my favourite songs so I was pretty excited when I heard they were gonna cover that, and they did a pretty good job too! I'm still waiting for them to do a Dokken cover! I reckon they could pass as Dokken if they covered a Dokken song, HAHAHAHA!

Of course the best cover of all time though is Guns N Roses' version of Knockin' On Heaven's Door! !:headbang: Slays the original.

[color=#AOEOOA]Megadeth by far, even if we have left out on 90's Megadeth album.

RUST IN PEACE

Which just makes 'deth unstoppable. But then again I'll always argue Megadeth are the greatest band to ever stand on god's green earth.[/color]

Dream Theater do good covers too.

As mentioned in another thread, the best cover ever is In Flames's's cover of Depeche Mode's "Everything Counts". Rockin'!

In my opinion, Metallica's Diamond Head covers (Am I Evil, Helpless, The Prince, etc) are some of the best covers I have ever heard. They don't have over the top production, and they sound like they were recorded in a garage, which I LOVE. Some of the rawest, thrashiest metal I have heard, which is also why I love 'Deths SFSGSW so much. Their Motorhead covers rock, Stone Dead Forever is one of my all time favourite songs, and I can never decide who's version I prefer, Metallica's or Motorhead's. Stone Cold Crazy, Blitzkrieg, So What, and the rest of the original Garage Days are all classic covers IMO, and that makes up all of the second disc. On The first disc, the Merciful Fate medley stands up with the Diamond Head covers as some of the best covers I have heard, and an awesome tribute to Merciful Fate. Blue Oyster Cult's Astronomy is done well, and they make Turn The Page and Whiskey In The Jar their own. Another Diamond Head cover, It's Electric rocks, not as good as the other covers, but it is still very cool, and their version of Sabbath's Sabra Cadabra also rocks. Guest appearances on Tuesday's Gone make the Skynard track an awesome collaberation, and the Misfits's Die Die My Darling is also done well.
This only leaves 3 songs, 2 of which I don't mind, and the other, Nick Cave's Loverman, which I don't particularly like, but give Metallica credit for trying a few non-metal songs. Turn The Page worked out well, this didn't.

Thats my wrap up of Garage Inc, and I think it rocks. Iced Earth's Tribute To The Gods is well done, and I like most of the covers done, but I think the key to a good cover is picking a song and making it your own, where Iced Earth have picked all popular songs that no cover will ever match the original, Number Of The Beast, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Black Sabbath, Highway To Hell (although this cover still rocks) ect. Metallica have picked alot of lesser known stuff such as the Diamond Head songs, the Merciful Fate medley, ect ect, and truly made them their own, and by doing such kick arse covers of such songs, paying awesome tribute to the original artists, rather than just playing their songs. :)

Garage Inc. :headbang:

salty said:
Sydo, How much you willing to part with the signed Youthanasia for? !:headbang:

I'll probably end up keeping it, if only because it's the coolest looking thing I got signed by Dave.

youth.jpg

I could understand him trying to be someone else if it was Risk, but Youthanasia is quite good :)

I didnt get my cds signed, only the booklets :(

I never thought of getting the actual Cd signed. Interesting idea....

I get what ya mean, Blitzy. I reckon it takes a lot more effort to record a song in your own style, rather than just playing it how the original was.

Aussie_Outlaw said:
Megadeth by far, even if we have left out on 90's Megadeth album.

RUST IN PEACE

Which just makes 'deth unstoppable. But then again I'll always argue Megadeth are the greatest band to ever stand on god's green earth.

Tornado of Souls totally destroys anything Metallica ever did in the 90's

\m/

That song is so insipid... The lyrics are crap, the vocals are awful... I dont get what everyone likes about it. Lucretia DESTROYS it, but no one goes on about how great that is. But they should! :)