Who was braver/better....

I'd say Metallica were the better of the bands in the 90s.

*hides*

I really really love Load to the max, Reload is awesome and contains their tied for best song Low Man's Lyric (I'm with you there Soil \m/) but doesn't have the same groovey growl that Load has. The Black Album is my least favourite Metallica album, but I still love it to death.

Metallica were definately the more daring and brave band out of the two, as they dared to 'stray from their roots' and try something new. One of the good things about that I believe is that they don't regret doing it... the feeling I get from Megadeth is that they regretted doing Risk.

Im listening to Risk now and it aint much to regret really...just like load and reload aint nuttin to regret..I just think Megadeth did better with the last 10 years than Metallica.....Black album really drags them down personally

Oh, I haven't even heard Risk, I'm just saying it seems that they regret it with comments such as "We'd done the 3 minute radio song... and we knew our fans wanted the metal back, the double-bass"

I've heard most of Megadeth's 90s work... Countdown, Youthanasia, about half of the songs on Cryptic Writings, and Some of TWNAH... and I did get the feeling it declined. Sure, it was all still very enjoyable, but with Youthanasia for example (which I do like heaps) it just seems to be all this palm muted chugging type riffs all the way through and it felt a bit boring. But there were too many good songs that came out of that CD that if you listen to separately you enjoy them heaps more.

wow that was a ramble... probably doesn't make sense either!

I still don't understand why people give the Black album such a bagging. EVERY song is so catchy and the riffs are all memorable, and the solos are the most melodic and fitting that Kirk has ever played. Great album, just need to drop Nothing Else Matters coz it sucks.

Nah I kinda like Talk Dirty To Me now... lol. I just prefer the bad attitude glam over the cheesy bubblegum glam.

Nothing Else Matters is boring though and needs to be trimmed ALOT and needs a different singer haha. Or at least if they aren't gonna trim it, change the words in different verses instead of repeating the same verses.

But as a whole the Black album sucks :p...I think its the Cleanliness of the whole thing I dont like, and the fact that Metallica did an album of 3 minute Radio songs

Into em Spiffy! Nothing Else Matters and Sad But True are great, im very disappointed in you people :)

Sad But True is pretty boring. It could be a good song but it drags on for far too long.

I agree with Goreripper... I don't think people would hate the Black album so much if the band didn't go so gay after it. Coz now it's like "Oh yeah Metallica's sellout started with the Black album" coz they got so bad over the years. But if Metallica stuck with that sound people wouldn't have cared so much. And so what if the songs were trimmed for radio play (and they are still around 5 minutes anyway, not 3 minutes), they are great songs. Sounding more radio friendly isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as it still rocks hard, which it did.

It would've been ok if they'd stuck with that sound. However, the magazines at the time were all pondering whether they'd sold out when they released that album. It's not like people only started saying that after Load....

Yeah there's no doubt they tried to be more commercial, otherwise they wouldn't get a Bon Jovi/Motley Crue producer to produce it! I'm just saying, they made the transition into the mainstream well with that album. In my opinion, that's an example of a band successfully taking their metal to the masses, whereas with Load/Reload it was a case of playing something else to stay in the mainstream.

Actually, people were accusing Metallica of selling out from the time of Ride the Lightning. There's a good argument that it would have been more of a sellout for them to keep bringing out the same-sounding record over and over again, like Iron Maiden. Load was actually a pretty brave move for them. They must have known what sort of a reaction it would get, but they didn't care. That's why I still like Metallica -- they do whatever they like, and don't care.

Thats right Gorey. To answer Southy's original question (I just realised I never answered the question, and we all just started talking about who is better :lol: ), I think Metallica were a hell of alot braver doing what they did. How many bands have made an experimental album, which is what Risk is? Lots, thats how many. Metallica attempted to re-invent themselves, which takes alot more balls IMO. They never tried to write their transition off as a 'phase' or 'experiment' or anything like that, just a natural progression. I agree with Gore, they knew the sort of reaction they might face, and now they know how people feel about it, but they don't care, which I admire.

As for when Metallica 'sold out', I think the black album is much more of a sellout than anything else they have done, much more than Load/Re-Load. Not to say which is the better of the albums or anything, as Troops said, appealing to the mainstream isn't always a bad thing if its done properly.

Regardless of who was better in the 90s, I think Metallica were the braver of the two, and I like every album both of the bands have ever put their name to. :)

I agree with everything except the part about 'Black' being a sell out. IMO, it was the album they had to make in order to progress beyond their cult following. That may be seen as a sell out by some, but in reality, it was four guys who'd spent the best part of the past ten years doing nothing but playing metal. They either had to make a record that would allow them to keep doing that in a professional capacity for the best part of the rest of their lives, or go back to being gas station attendants. I would have done the same thing in their position. For some people it may have been a sell out, but for Metallica it was a question of survival. Considering what happened to all the other big metal bands in 91 - 93, Metallica did the right thing on a commercial level.