Who was braver/better....

Southy

Proud Brisbane Metaller
Jul 28, 2001
Brisbane,Australia
Visit site
Outta Metallica and Megadeth in the 90s, lets look at my oppinion.....

Metallica- Black, shithouse, except for 3 songs
- Load, better
- Reload, better

Megadeth- Countdown...., Fucking Brilliant
- Youthinasia, again brilliant
- Cryptic Writings, need I say more??
- Risk, indeed it was, not as bad as alot state IMO :p

So there ya have it my little pickled head forgot what this post started as....but Megadeth released better braver albums IMO during the 90s than Metallica. because they tried to follow Metallica but did better as usual IMO

Megadeth! !:headbang: Here is my view...

Metallica:
Black Album - Awesome American metal album! Who cares if it isn't thrashy anymore, still great metal!
Load - Gay to the max. Boring.
Reload - Oooh the fans didn't like Load, here's an idea, do a sequel with the even crapper songs that didn't even make it onto Load!
Garage Inc - Ok we'll mass release something from the 80s that lots of fans value having rare copies of, and add in a new CD where we screw up old songs.
S & M - The orchestra sounded crap in my opinion, and it was a boring as hell show, unlike Kiss' Symphony show.

Megadeth:
Countdown To Extinction - Great solid heavy metal. A tad overrated in my opinion but still excellent.
Youthanasia - Awesome! One of the only really strong albums in the mid-90s by an '80s metal band.
Cryptic Writings - Pretty good, some great songs, some crap songs, but overall a worthwhile album.
Risk - The band's only bad album and its still miles ahead of Load and Reload even if they were one album just with the good songs from each. And as the title suggests, it was only a one off "Risk" and the band learnt from the mistake.
The World Needs A Hero - Solid comeback to the older style, production sucks and its lacking in energy but there are plenty of great tracks and awesome lead guitars from Al Pitrelli. Kinda like Cryptic that its not as good as the older stuff but still a solid, worthwhile listen.

I think they both had balls for going against the grain, so I won't pick one over the other. I really like both Risk and Load/Re-Load as well, so its kind of hard to pick. I think Risk may have even been a little ahead of its time, looking at it as a real 'modern rock' type of album, and later bands like Creed, Nickelback, ect got popular from that genre, and the whole 'modern rock' genre is kind of an evolved grungy rock sound, which Load/Re-Load probably fit into.

Not sure if I was making a point, just that both bands were daring, and I like what they both came up with. :)

Black album - 10
Load - 7
Reload - 5
Garage Inc - 8
S&M - 5

Countdown - 9
Youthanasia - 8
Cryptic Writings - 8
Risk - 3
TWNAH - 4

Metallica wins by 3 :)

Metallica albums:

black album - it's not as thrashy as their earlier releases but it still rocked. Dunno why people hate this one so much - 8/10

load - shithouse, except for like maybe 2-3 songs. The worst ones are Poor Twisted Me and Wasting My Hate - 4/10

reload - only marginally better than load, but I must say that Bad Seed and Better Than You are the worst fucking songs they ever put out - 4.5/10

garage inc - I'm not even going to bother with this one - 0/10 for originality (or lack thereof).

s & m - it's ok, but some of the songs just didn't work out with that orchestra - 6/10

------------------------

Megadeth albums:

countdown - pretty good melodic metal album even though it's not as hard as some people make it out to be - 9/10

youthanasia - like the black album, it's one of those albums that everyone hates except me. Personally I think this one's awesome - 8.5/10

hidden treasures - not their best, but still beats the later stuff Metallica put out - 7/10

cryptic writings - people always diss this one for being too soft but I thought it was ok. Some songs weren't that good but there were a few pretty good rocking tracks towards the end - 7.5/10

risk - I understand that this was an experiment gone wrong, and even Megadeth would be cringing at this one. Although not exactly metal, still a good hard rock album. - 7/10

the world needs a hero - a good comeback and return to form, but production hurt this one. Some great songs though - especially Dread and the Fugitive Mind - 8/10

Overall, I'd say that Megadeth win hands down if you ask me who put out better stuff in the 90's. It's a shame they broke up.

I don't like Youthanaisa at all anymore. Great songs, but sooo boring.
I have a Japenese import version signed by Dave. I am so tempted to sell it. :(

Load is 10x's better than Rethese songs were not good enough for load, but we thought we try and sell them to you punks anyway Load.

Oh, I think Metallica were by far 'the braver' of the two bands. They aimed their albums at a new auidence, while trying to retain their original fan base.

Youthansia and World Needs A Hero are the 2 safest sounding albums ever.

I guess you could call Risk brave, but I think it was more stupid than brave myself... :)

I really like Load. I don't really like Reload, but it has Fuel which rocks the hizouse.

I LOVE Cryptic Writings, but didn't care for Risk or Hero, both of which I've only listened to once since purchasing them.

Cryptic Writings is so cool.

Load and Reload are great. Reload is much better I reckon. Low Man's Lyric is the greatest Metallica song ever written easily.

Well I liked Garage Inc ..........great covers of great songs , unoriginal but great... Why can Dreamtheater do whole Albums in their set like MOP & NOTB and everyone raves on & on about it ,Iced Earth with Tribute to the Gods as well