Metallica

Uh, I don't think they spent 9 months to make background filler music... Listening to the lyrics do you think they lost their "edge"? Bob Rock produced the thing, he didn't create it... If Metallica wanted to sell out, they could have made a fucking lame ass "party" album like Turbo or something...

typo

I've always hated Metallica's lyrics. James Hetfield is a shit lyricist, especially in the later days. I'm not saying that he doesn't have anything important to say with them, he just is very bad at conveying his feelings through words.

lyrics are pretty good on AJFA, they are not bad on the first 4 albums overall

I've always hated Metallica's lyrics. James Hetfield is a shit lyricist, especially in the later days. I'm not saying that he doesn't have anything important to say with them, he just is very bad at conveying his feelings through words.

My point was that the lyrics weren't compromised... Also, I think James writes the music first, then the lyrics. It kinda works better musically, but the lyrics have to be mashed together so I guess they don't come out all too great. I personally dig them, don't need a lot of words, just the important ones...

I don't see how Metallica's lyrics are any worse than most of the lyrics of the bands in your signature.

What is it that you don't like about the lyrics? I've always liked them, just want to hear your opinion on them. Maybe variety isn't "great" or anything, but Metallica didn't ever seem to run into a dead end with lyrics, everything seems pretty unique to me, nothing's worn, maybe a bit cliche but Metallica seemed to be "smarter" than the average thrash or metal band.

Creeping Death

Slaves Hebrews born to serve to the pharaoh
Heed to his every word live in fear
Faith of the unknown one the deliverer
Wait something must be done four hundred years

So let it be written so let it be done
I'm sent here by the chosen one
To kill the first born pharaoh son
I'm creeping death

Now let my people go land of goshen
Go I will be with thee bush of fire
Blood running red and strong down the Nile
Plague darkness three days long hail to fire

to kill the first born pharaoh son
I'm creeping death

Die by my hand
I creep across the land
Killing first born man
Die by my hand
I creep across the land
Killing first born man

I rule the midnite air the destroyer
Born I shall soon be there deadly mass
I creep the steps and floor final darkness
Blood lambs blood painted door I shall pass

To kill the first born pharaoh son
I'm creeping death

This is pretty high calibre stuff compared to what most bands were doing at the time.

"enter sandman" has the absolute worst lyrics ever in any metal song

"exit light enter night" are you fucking kidding me?? why are former thrash monsters writing songs about putting little kids to bed??

their lyrics on songs like sanitarium, fade to black, blackened, fight fire with fire,etc... are fine though

^Thing is Necuratul, the words seem to be mashed together. They form nice phrases when their sung, but I don't know how James could write them down without thinking they're kinda...uh...funny looking for lack of better word...

Now let my people go land of goshen
Go I will be with thee bush of fire
Blood running red and strong down the Nile
Plague darkness three days long hail to fire

The last two lines make me go WTH? Now when their sung they sort of make sense, but I can see why people are sort of annoyed at the lyrics...

Obviously they're written with the pronunciation to be sung in mind. The lyrics are to be judged contextually in the song, not as they appear on a page.

That's why I like them, I can understand, I can sing along, everything's cool. But for someone having trouble with English or something, or needs to see the lyrics, it's kinda bothersome. And still, I bet there are those who point that the lyrics might not be intellegent because of the fact that they are not put together in a proper order and structure, but to "sound" good. Meh on everything, Metallica kicks ass, good 'nuff for me.

I have heard a lot of people blame Bob Rock for metallica sucking and the entire over production but I honestly think Metallica just never expanded as musicians(same with bands like Slayer,Sepultura). I think you can only go for so long just being good musicians before your lack of skills start to show with time. Metallica for example in my opinion should have turned more into a melodic and progressive metal band during the 90's. I wonder if james burning his arm and not being able to play guitar for years prevented him from really expanding and going to another level. You hear load and think how can james go from what he wrote during the entire 80's too this. I remember seeing footage of james playing around the time during St. Anger and he honestly sounds and plays like an amatuer musician. How can musicians that have been playing for 25 years sound like teens rehearsing in a garage.