Albums that need to be rerecorded or remastered?

Ageless said:
Whaaaaaaaaa'??? o_O Why does 'Insanity' need to be remastered/rerecorded?
The production is fuckin' atrocious, even Chris thinks that Insanity suffers a lot because of it. The guitars (especially on the riffs) are too muddy and don't have enough punch, the vocals are a big mess as well. Overall the album sounds sterile.

If you can't hear the bass on Nattens Madrigal you have to be fucking deaf
Agreed. The bass on Nattens is very clear.

Also, what the hell is wrong with the production of Darkness Descends?
The production fits the album very well, but It could have a little more guitar punch :D

Moshpit said:
All Farts Just Annoy?

Anyway, I don´t think it´s necessary to remaster any albums. That would
take the special feeling away. I like the raw sound of e.g. "Kill ´em all"
and I don´t want to listen to a hi-fi clean sound version of it.

Didn't say they needed to clean it up to sound like the black album. KEA was produced perfect for the album. I just think they should add some bass (that you can distinguish); while leaving the overall sound and feel alone.

It's probably been remastered anyway (in which case I should really buy it), but I think Megadeth's Peace Sells and Rust In Piece NEED remastering.

Technically excellent albums released just a little too early for the real quality recording studio gizmos.

I think.

Nattens Madrigal and 95% of black metal cd's could use a remaster. Sorry, but I don't hear any "atmosphere" in shitty staticy-buzzsaw high pitched guitars.... the only atmosphere I get out of that is nails screetching down a chalkboard, which is the exact opposite of the "woods" or "wilderness" or whatever they go for....

Arrgghhh... I never thought I'd be saying this here, but very few albums should be remastered. The few exceptions would maybe be out of print albums or possibly demos. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but sometimes the original production is best to stick with... (kinda like records vs.CDs)

Plus, then it just forces you to buy something again you already have half the time.

Ageless said:
:guh: Best production ever???.... :erk: ... :lol:

I can fully understand why Black Metal has sounds like its recorded in a bush with an answering machine, but 'Nattens Madrigal' takes it too far. That production is fuckin' horrendous. The guitars are so treble-y that I was surprised my ears didn't bleed. Anywho, just my two cents.
In my ears, everything about the production of Nattens Madrigal is perfect, second best comes De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, I think.
I know the guitars on Nattens Madrigal are treble-y, but that suits the album perfectly, the rawness, coldness, wolfishness etc.
If you want bleeding ears, try Sorcery of Fragments by Temnozor'.

Slayer-Show No Mercy (Re-record it. I'd love to hear what that would sound like now! Then again, Araya can NOT hit most of those high notes anymore!!!)
Overkill-Feel The Fire, Taking Over
Sepultura-Beneath The Remains, Arise
Dimmu Borgir-Everything before Enthrone.
Metallica-...And Justice For All, St. Anger (Re-record it. There are some halfway decent songs on there but it's pretty impossible to get into with the awful drum sound.)

chemicalburn said:
Arrgghhh... I never thought I'd be saying this here, but very few albums should be remastered. The few exceptions would maybe be out of print albums or possibly demos. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but sometimes the original production is best to stick with... (kinda like records vs.CDs)

I agree. Though I'm not that much against remastering since in my opinion it doesn't affect the sound quality drastically. Plus, when it comes to CD's, I think it's nice to have those re-releases with "rare" bonus tracks and lots of old photos in the booklet etc. But for re-recording old albums, that's a definite NO!! Personally I just love the old production in most 80's albums, to my ears modern production sounds pure shit!!! I'd never want to hear "Schizophrenia", "The Legacy" or whatever with an overly clear and sterile sound :yuk: Also, I definitely prefer vinyl.

Thrash Metal Tormentor said:
I agree. Though I'm not that much against remastering since in my opinion it doesn't affect the sound quality drastically. Plus, when it comes to CD's, I think it's nice to have those re-releases with "rare" bonus tracks and lots of old photos in the booklet etc. But for re-recording old albums, that's a definite NO!! Personally I just love the old production in most 80's albums, to my ears modern production sounds pure shit!!! I'd never want to hear "Schizophrenia", "The Legacy" or whatever with an overly clear and sterile sound !!:yuk: Also, I definitely prefer vinyl.
For me, its precisely the production of the older thrash albums that makes them less interesting to me (working backwards). They sound thin, threadbare.......a good production doesn't have to be a perfect 'crystal clear' one at all, but if those albums just had a guitar sound that was actually heavy, they'd be so much better to me. Early Metallica, Testament, Sepultura.....it all just sounds so tinny and weak.

Ultimate_Symphony said:
The production is fuckin' atrocious, even Chris thinks that Insanity suffers a lot because of it. The guitars (especially on the riffs) are too muddy and don't have enough punch, the vocals are a big mess as well. Overall the album sounds sterile.
Serious!? I thought the production was fine, i thought the guitars were fuckin heavy and in no way muddy. Well, Darkane's vocals have never been their strong point.

henrikmain said:
And the bass drums on Krisiun's "Ageless Venomous".
totally. i dunno why those blokes didn't stick with the quality production they had with Conquerors of Armageddon.

Ageless said:
Serious!? I thought the production was fine, i thought the guitars were fuckin heavy and in no way muddy. Well, Darkane's vocals have never been their strong point.
Totally. They had a lot of problems when they started recording and mixing the album. Peter had some problems recording his drums as well, he had to replace every snare beat after the whole thing was done. Hehe, I bet he wanted to kick the shit out of someone when he realized the hi-hat was too loud :D I think I also remember that Chris once said on an interview that he thought ''Insanity'' sucked because the sound was too sterile. That was after they recorded Expanding Senses.

I don't know... Re-mastering and re-mixing is one thing but re-recording? It's not like I reject this in general but this is a tricky issue, isn't it? Changing a classic is always a balancing act, 'cause at first you have to re-catch the old spirit which made the original release so unique before you can think about improvements. And that includes the original line-up, of course! Take Venom for example - I can remember the re-recordings they did on their Kissing The Beast-album and... fuck, those are awful! And even if you have all the relevant members it's still a tough challenge. Just think of the first three Sepultura releases! I can't tell how much I'd like to have Schizophrenia, Morbid Visions and Bestial Devastaion improved but would this work if the band (together WITH Max) entered the studio for a second time? I don't think so, because they just don't have the attitude anymore. Same with Metallica and Slayer and their debuts. But I guess, I better stop squealing and contribute, right? So here are a few releases which would be worth the effort:
- the above mentioned
- Death: Scream Bloody Gore (sadly impossible)
- Destruction: Sentence Of Death & Infernal Overkill
- Flotsam And Jetsam: Doomsday For The Deceiver
- Gorefest: Mind Loss
- Kreator: Endless Pain
- Massacra: Final Holocaust (sadly impossible)
- Paradise Lost: Lost Paradise & Gothic
- Sodom: In The Sign Of Evil & Obsessed By Cruelty
- Venom: everything they released before 1987

Satyricon's Nemesis Divina has good procuction and it doesn't lose any of the atmosphere; in fact it is one of the best black metal albums I know. So much for atmosphere vs. production.

Dick Rott said:
Didn't say they needed to clean it up to sound like the black album. KEA was produced perfect for the album. I just think they should add some bass (that you can distinguish); while leaving the overall sound and feel alone.
Well, "Justice" would need more bass.