• Metallica

Votes: 26 56.5%

• Total voters

Phantasm (Band)

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2016
Santa Clarita, California
soundcloud.com
I wanted to know what everybody thinks about this. Which band is better and who is more talented? I have made a small chart with my opinions, but lemme know yours.

Musical Talent: I think Dave is overall has much more to offer when it comes to this debate. Not only that, but Chris Poland and Gar Samuelson studied Jazz and brought that complexity to the band during their hay day. I think that Metallica are also very talented, but I feel like they were not as complexly as talented as Megadeth. Dave is just a beast on guitar.
Megadeth 1
Metallica 0
Song Writing Skills: While Megadeth had great songs off their albums, Metallica were able to make one album out of a bunch of great songs. Up until Load/Reload, Metallica were making entire albums comprised of all incredible songs.
Megadeth 1
Metallica 1
Better Albums: While Megadeth had some great albums, it can't be ignored that Metallica were making hits out of entire albums. There are definitely classics in the Megadeth memorabilia, but Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, Kill Em All, ...And Justice for All and the Black album are so well etched into the Heavy Metal world. And, these albums made such a big impact in music forever.
Megadeth 1
Metallica 2
Better Solos: Hands down this one has to go to Megadeth. The way they crafted solos during every point in their career, (except Risk), was incredible. Yes, Metallica had catchy songs and remembered choruses, Megadeth had the solo part down.
Megadeth 2
Metallica 2
Then vs Now: Okay, Metallica has taken a shit over their careers in that last fifteen years. First it was St. Anger, then it was Lulu and now we can hope they come out with something better. Metallica defiantly changed their sound heavily after the Black album, and it wasn't for the better. Megadeth however, has a few stains such as Super Collider and Risk, but other than that, they stick to their thrash metal roots. This one, goes to Megadeth.
Megadeth 3
Metallica 2

These are just my thoughts. I want to know what you think. Lemme know by replying to this thread.

I like Ride the Lightning more than anything by Megadeth, but I enjoy more Megadeth albums on the whole than Metallica albums so I don't know which to vote.

Reactions: CiG
We had a thread not long before you joined which was a vote for the best of "The Big Four". Slayer dominated the votes as they should. Anthrax managed to get 1 vote, which is still 1 too many.

Yeah, I'm glad of the amount of Anthrax hate on UM. They're not terrible, but no way should they be classed in the top ranks of the Thrash Metal scene, particularly when so many other good bands are excluded.

Reactions: Phylactery
Metallica. Mustaine's leads are overrated tbh, with a couple exceptions (like My Last Words) I think his second guitarists usually contributed the best solos, and Hammett was just as good as him at least on the first four albums. Mustaine wrote better riffs at his best and had a sense of groove that appeals to my personal metal fetishes better, but Metallica still had many more ideas and greater scope. If Megadeth had released just one 10-11 track album containing my favorite songs from the first two albums plus Set the World Afire (all written in 1984-85) it would probably be my all-time favorite metal album though.

Metallica has better albums but Megadeth still wins? Not following your logic there? IMO everything else is secondary? Either you do good music or not...

Metallica wins with a large margin imo btw.

The moderator already got my information and confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm not that person, so I think it's pretty sad that you can't move past your mistakes.