Albums that need to be rerecorded or remastered?

Sorath said:
I think that the genre where production has most variation is black metal.
:err: I suppose black metal has a LOT of subgenres that all have their own production style.....i was going to say I thought death metal had the most production variation but then I remembered that there's not many death metal bands out there with a threadbare, tinny, white-noise, treble-only sound.

Sorath said:
AJFA needs more bass. If cliff had been alive he'd have seen to that.
I don't know, I really liked Newsted.

I think good production = better in any genre except black metal. There it only depends on the 'feel' you want the album to have. It's why Dimmu Borgir, Ulver, Mayhem, and Immortal each produce(d) their albums differently, to complement their individual styles.

Tops on the list aside from having a "famous" producer is Black Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell." It was remastered once and needs it again. Metal Church's "Blessing in Disguise" is one of the best American power/thrash releases ever recorded, but it also needs a make-over very badly.

/Bryant

SculptedCold said:
production and music for me are the same thing. you can play five seconds of music and make it sound like so many different things just through production values. production is an integral part of the music and how it is perceived, ergo in my view, it IS part of the music itself. I think its an interesting thing to look into; the semantic linking going on between saying what the music is, and how/why a certain production suits it. is it not often the case that you only think the production suits the music because you can't imagine the music being the same after possessing some other production value? doesn't that, if true in any case, hint at music and production being conceptually inseperable anyway?, thereby necessitating the view that a certain genre (ie black metal) is only suited to certain, limited variations on production??
You're pretty much right BUT as I see it, music and production should be inseparable and working as one, but as I wrote somewhere previously in this thread there are cases where this is simply not true, and this is when one can talk of "bad" production. Take Testament's "The New Order" or Exodus' "Pleasures of the Flesh" or Dark Tranquillity's "A Moonclad Reflection" -- I'm quite certain that if you'd ask the bands, they'd say that those productions aren't very good and more importantly work against the music instead of with it. Maybe because of an inexperienced producer, lousy equipment, a producer that isn't familiar with metal, etc... There is such a thing as "bad production," it just doesn't equal "blah blah four channel trebly tape hissy crap."

Every DM album with a clicky bass drum should be re-recorded. I fuckin hate that shit drum sound. The drums for Behemoth's ZKC were triggered and sound stunning so I dunno why bands use that god damn annoying bass drum sound.

Erik said:
You're pretty much right BUT as I see it, music and production should be inseparable and working as one, but as I wrote somewhere previously in this thread there are cases where this is simply not true, and this is when one can talk of "bad" production. Take Testament's "The New Order" or Exodus' "Pleasures of the Flesh" or Dark Tranquillity's "A Moonclad Reflection" -- I'm quite certain that if you'd ask the bands, they'd say that those productions aren't very good and more importantly work against the music instead of with it. Maybe because of an inexperienced producer, lousy equipment, a producer that isn't familiar with metal, etc... There is such a thing as "bad production," it just doesn't equal "blah blah four channel trebly tape hissy crap."
Yeah, definately agreed.

@Ageless. I used to hate the clickety bass drum production as well, but i've come to accept it. Decapitated's Nihility and Dimmu's Puritanical were the first albums I encountered with such drumming, and I really hated them at the time too. I still think the drum sound on Puritanical is a very poor choice, but for a band like Decapitated, I've come to accept it. To me, that really clickety sound is aurally quite cold and clinical...like a machine, and in the overall picture of the music, I think it helps make it more misanthropic. Clickety double bass also brings to my mind the interesting mental image of a giant spider scurrying along a hard metal/tile floor, which is quite sinister and cool, hehe.

SculptedCold said:
To me, that really clickety sound is aurally quite cold and clinical...like a machine, and in the overall picture of the music, I think it helps make it more misanthropic

Absolutely. That's why I instantly loved the kick drums in Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. I also dig Decapitated's "Nihility", one of the albums that really got me into death metal. However, that clickety sound didn't really work out very well in Krisiun's "Ageless Venomous" and in some other records. It does work with PEM, Nihility and a lot of other records though. Nice spider metaphore by the way :Spin:

Clicky bass drums work well on Vinterland's "Welcome my Last Chapter." Makes the whole thing, already a very cold-sounding album, even colder. Also Katatonia's "For Funerals to Come" EP sounds great with all that ridiculous triggering. Generally I'm a big fan of natural drum sounds though. Agalloch's "The Mantle" has great, great drum sound, especially the kicks.

Sorath said:
In my ears, everything about the production of Nattens Madrigal is perfect, second best comes De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, I think.
I know the guitars on Nattens Madrigal are treble-y, but that suits the album perfectly, the rawness, coldness, wolfishness etc.
If you want bleeding ears, try Sorcery of Fragments by Temnozor'.
I get no earbleeding out of Sorcery of Fragments.Its a fucking great album by a great band.

henrikmain said:
Absolutely. That's why I instantly loved the kick drums in Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. I also dig Decapitated's "Nihility", one of the albums that really got me into death metal. However, that clickety sound didn't really work out very well in Krisiun's "Ageless Venomous" and in some other records. It does work with PEM, Nihility and a lot of other records though. Nice spider metaphore by the way :Spin:
heh, Ageless Venemous is my favourite album as far as OTT bass drum production goes. I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all!!

Ah yes, i forgot about 'Nihility''s drum production as well as PEM's. I suppose it depends on the overall production and feel of the album. 'Ageless Venomous''s drum production is awful, I think they explained why they went with such a weird job in #113 of Terrorizer.

... and you have, of course, heard all Darkthrone albums before you make a stupid remark like that one?

There are very large differences between, for an example, Soulside Journey, Under a Funeral Moon and PlagueWielder.

I'd vote for Atheist - Unquestionable Presence and especially Elements.

UP doesn't have to be remastered, but it would be nice :)
And Elements' sound is awful...