You're gonna want to sit down for this one...

Now that I think about this some more, I like that this is happening with these letters.

As I mentioned in IM conversation, authors in particular have "The Collected Letters of..." books come out. Why not these musicians? The original correspondence of some of these people might be fascinating.

So while auctioning off letters of this sort seemed tacky to me at first, it does establish them as valuable, making them less likely to just get tossed in the trash, meaning a proper collection of letters is possible in the future.

@ Zealotry, that's child play
check out this from the UM/trade forum

Rarest MAYHEM items ever!!!
amongst other things i will be listing.
LETTERS FROM DEAD (plus english translations)
LETTERS FROM EURONYMOUS(INCLUDING THE ONE....THAT CONTAINED PART OF deads SKULL AND TWO SHOTGUN PELLETS)(ofcourse the fragment is NOT for sale !)
DEAD DRAWINGS.(INCLUDING THE ORIGINAL "DISSECTION DEMO" ONE used on THE GREIF PROPHECY)
BURZUM,,DEBUT CD...WITH NO BARCODE!(ONLY 500 PRESSED) WITH THE PACKAGE HANDWRITTEN BY EURONYMOUS.

BATHORY...UNDER THE SIGN (1987/ MUSIC FOR NATIONS)....WITH "ROUGH MALE" BAND CENTRAL LABEL ON ONE SIDE!.... MISSPRINT... AN INTERNET SEARCH DOESNT EVEN THROW ONE OF THESE UP....

ORIGINAL helvete CATALOGUE. english (plus a SWEDISH one... ultra rare!)

EURONYMOUS's MALLEUS MALIFICARUM LIBRARY BOOK...SIGNED, WITH HIS HANDWRITTEN ADDRESS...A GIFT HE DID NOT RETURN.... HA HA!

A DSP PROMOTIONAL CD!.... TRY FINDING ONE OF THOSE!

AND......

THE ORIGINAL "DAWN OF THE BLACK HEARTS" SONG LYRICS ...HAND WRITTEN BY FENRIZ... !!!!!! (this is a copy..but its signed with a message to morgan from euronymous)...still... this is something even mayhem dont have.

DEADS SUICIDE NOTE IN FULL... SWEDISH WITH ENGLISH TRANSLATION.
COPY OF DEADS OBITUARY FROM THE NEWS PAPER
APPROX 100 ORIGINAL OLD MAYHEM PHOTOS.
MORBID DEATH EXECUTION WHITE SLEEVE LP..HOLYCAUST RECORDS LTD TO 100.
EMPERORS RETURN/TRAGIC SERANADES. NOISE PIC DISC LPS.

several old newspapers from norway.sweden 93 about the trail.

A MACE LIKE THE ONE VARG IS HOLDING....ONLY AROUND 5 OF THESE WERE EVER MADE BY STIAN JOHNSEN (ARCTURUS)

plus some other stuff....

more details will follow once the stuff is here.... all items belong to MORGAN HAKANSSON (MARDUK)...
all letters will come with a translation to english...
the suicide note.. just a translation... (comunication/phone missunderstandings) not sure who copied it...

as the helvete catalogue my mate sold recently got £94 ... im sure you will understand why they are going on ebay

more to be added....any spelling errors or missinterpritations the odd moron cant understand... who cares.
wait for the auctions.

also

DISSECTION grief prophecy 7 inch original
EMPEROR as the shadows rise (with sticker) 7 inch original
DE MYSTERIIS DSP LP
DEATHCRUSH DSP LP
VENOM SHIRT.. PRINTED BY EURONYMOUS
ABRUPTUM DSP PROMO CD IN BLUE COVER WITH INFO SHEET.
ABRUPTUM DEBUT DSP LP

swedish helvete cataloge was printed by jon nodtviedt and the handwritten letter he sent is still inside.

a few more items i cant remember....

this will be 7 days of unique auctions... there wil be enough info on various message boards about when they go up...
no links on here as they aint allowed but...anyone with a brain will find them.
just keep an eye out.

I think its a bunch of BS but you never know???

The idea of auctioning a letter isn't half as absurd as the fact that the author is a fairly insignificant, third tier personality.

That Mayhem collection was indeed real and sold on behalf of Morgan from Marduk. Here's the final tally:

£77.00 MAYHEM original DSP vinyl LP DEATHCRUSH 1993 release!
£102.00 MAYHEM original DSP vinyl LP DE MYSTERIIS DOM SATHANAS
£130.00 MAYHEM live in Leipzig LP(obscue plasma) 1993 original
£36.00 MAYHEM/MORBID tribute to the black emperors ORIGINAL LP
£105.00 MORBID Death Execution LP (ltd to 100 only worldwide)!!
£82.00 MORBID December Moon LP (red vinyl/insert/poster) LTD!!
£29.99 rarest BATHORY RECORD on earth! MISSPRINTED 1987 !!!!
£29.99 CELTIC FROST Emperors Return (pic disc lp) NOISE REC 86
£29.99 CELTIC FROST Tragic Serenades 3 track MINI LP PIC DISC
£29.99 ABRUPTUM Obscuritatem PIC DISC official 333 only LP !!
£29.99 ABRUPTUM In Umbra PIC DISC official 333 only LP !!
£19.99 ABRUPTUM Casus Luciferi PIC DISC LP + REGULAR VINYL LP No Bids (*)
£155.00 ABRUPTUM 1993 DSP PROMOTIONAL PACKAGE! BLUE COVER! CD
£107.00 DISSECTION Into Infinite Oscurity ORIGINAL 7 INCH EP
£90.00 EMPEROR As the Shadows Rise Original NAP 1st release!!!
£102.00 original HELVETE mail-order catalogue nov 1992 DSP !!!
£87.77 original Swedish HELVETE KATALOG ! FEB 1993 DSP MARDUK
£31.00 VENOM Welcome To Hell T SHIRT printed by EURONYMOUS DSP
£63.99 THE COUNT. DEBUT T SHIRT ! PRINTED BY V.V HIMSELF
£46.00 Original MAYHEM logo shirt ! shredded and rotten! DSP !
£43.00 MAYHEM Ancient Skin 1997 MCD ltd to 500 only! no 10
£102.00 ISENGARD Spectres Over Gorgoroth DEMO Euronymous signed
£63.00 IMMORTAL promo tape 91 (2 tracks for the 7 inch) rare!!
£62.00 Original A4 pen drawing/sketch by DEAD of MAYHEM/MORBID
£205.00 Original A5 pen drawing/sketch by DEAD of MAYHEM/MORBID
£100.00 Original handwritten/signed letter from DEAD/MAYHEM !!!
£92.00 Original handwritten/signed letter from DEAD/MAYHEM
£52.99 Original handwritten/signed letter from PELLE OHLIN
£51.00 Original handwritten/signed letter from DEAD/MAYHEM
£85.00 LETTER from DEAD/MAYHEM in english ! unseen interview!
£62.00 LETTER from DEAD/MAYHEM in english ! 2xA4 with DRAWING!
£121.00 4 SIDED handwritten letter from DEAD to IT (ABRUPTUM)!
£102.00 TYPED/SIGNED LETTER FROM EURONYMOUS (MAYHEM HELVETE) !
£180.00 the most infamous letter EURONYMOUS ever sent ;- MAYHEM
£102.99 TYPED/SIGNED letter from EURONYMOUS MAYHEM 1990 2xA4
£82.00 TYPED/SIGNED letter from EURONYMOUS MAYHEM 5.4.1990
£165.00 TYPED/SIGNED letter from EURONYMOUS MAYHEM 19.3.1990
£114.00 TYPED/SIGNED letter from EURONYMOUS 23.7.90 MAYHEM DSP
£102.00 TYPED/SIGNED letter from EURONYMOUS MAYHEM HELVETE DSP
£190.99 huge letter from EURONYMOUS with ADV tape included.1993
£51.00 4 A5 ORIGINAL COLOUR MAYHEM PROMO PHOTOS! POSERCORPSE!
£39.00 2 ORIGINAL large A5 B/W MORBID live photos! ultra rare!
£107.00 25 original MAYHEM Live Show Photos of DEAD. (watain)
£69.00 12 original MAYHEM Live Show Photos of EURONYMOUS
£64.50 MAYHEM original photos used on 2 OFFICIAL PICTURE DISCS
£72.00 26 VARIOUS LIVE MAYHEM PHOTOS! EURONYMOUS NECROBUTCHER
£122.00 20 various vintage MAYHEM original mayhem photos.
£74.00 20 various vintage MAYHEM original live photographs !!!
£130.00 13 of the BEST EVER old vintage MAYHEM PHOTOS!!
£46.53 1 MAYHEM P.F.A era original B/W large format photo! !!!
£196.00 22 vintage original MORBID live/private photos!

http://my.opera.com/NorthernVantage/blog/

The idea of auctioning a letter isn't half as absurd as the fact that the author is a fairly insignificant, third tier personality.

That's exactly my point. I could understand if it was someone like Quorthon, or Varg. But that Xasturd guy is completely irrelevant.

Warren's an old scenester. He was the guy who filmed the Emperor rehearsals and the first UK shows back in '93, so all his stuff will be legitimate.

Nice to know I've literally thrown away thousands of dollars over the years if that list is anything to go by :)

Unless you interviewed King Diamond or maybe King Fowley or someone recently, absolutely. LOTFP doesn't deal with the "larger than life" personalities. Isn't that one of the selling points of the zine? No one is going to fork over 30 euro for some vanilla artist that's just being sincere and making good music. An Xasthur letter sells because the band is something of a media darling and Malefic has a been given a certain prestige, mostly from being passive and obscure, not actually uh...changing the entire landscape of the genre.

Why are you likening people that might think Xastur is a relevant band to their relevant scene, to holocaust deniers?

I'm just hastening the inevitable - Godwin's Law rearing its ugly head. :p

Actually, it's just a matter of Xasthur being destined to become long-forgotten once they stop making records. It's strictly a flash-in-the-pan band.

I don't like Xastur but then again I don't get most of the drone slow bad production black metal thing so I'm not one with an opinion on the matter. I'm just not sure about the irrelevancy.

Some people still listen to Whiplash's 'The Power and Pain' I always thought the cover being a straight reference to masturbation was the most remarkable thing about it, but people still like that album/band and listen to them after all this time and put it on their 'best thrash records ever' lists, so you know...

I don't like Xastur but then again I don't get most of the drone slow bad production black metal thing so I'm not one with an opinion on the matter. I'm just not sure about the irrelevancy.

Some people still listen to Whiplash's 'The Power and Pain' I always thought the cover being a straight reference to masturbation was the most remarkable thing about it, but people still like that album/band and listen to them after all this time and put it on their 'best thrash records ever' lists, so you know...

For good reason. And regarding Xasthur, considering that Xasthur is essentially the biggest thing to ever happen to USBM (Absu aside, though they never played pure Black Metal), and that includes a decent list of bands such as Profanatica, Grand Belial's Key, Demoncy, Judas Iscariot, Krieg, I Shalt Become, Averse Sefira, etc. Regardless of where you stand, to call him "flash-in-the-pan" is just bullshit hyperbole coming from someone who can't stand the band. I don't particularly care for them either, but to deny their importance is obtuse. In general, I take Jim's view on this issue.

And regarding Xasthur, considering that Xasthur is essentially the biggest thing to ever happen to USBM (Absu aside, though they never played pure Black Metal), and that includes a decent list of bands such as Profanatica, Grand Belial's Key, Demoncy, Judas Iscariot, Krieg, I Shalt Become, Averse Sefira, etc. Regardless of where you stand, to call him "flash-in-the-pan" is just bullshit hyperbole coming from someone who can't stand the band. I don't particularly care for them either, but to deny their importance is obtuse.

I agree. It is also notable that Malefic has partnered with Hydra Head, which gives Xasthur great distribution and allows HH to cater to a somewhat different crowd than usual. Other BM releases have followed.