YT: Dance of Eternity Drum Cover!

Mar 1, 2006

Finally managed to get this video up on youtube, damn WMG copyright claims!

A sick,sick drummer friend of mine did a cover of Dream Theater's Dance of Eternity in my studio recently - this kid is amazing, and he's only 20 years old too!

We couldnt find a decent drumless backing track of DoE so this is over the original track, youtube's audio recognition algorithms kept picking up on it and we had to drop the backing 6dB down from how it was originally mixed.

All natural snare and toms, kick is a blend of the mic and a SSD sample (take a wild guess which one :devil:)

Drum setup is in the video description, if anyone wants I can post up the recording chain...

comments and shares are very welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I need those cymbals for the studio, they sound beautiful. Impressive cover as well! Reminds me of how I spent most of my high school years hah.

cheers, glad you guys like it.

yeah i love that meinl ride, really awesome ping. Mics were AKGC414's for OHs, SM81 on hihat and china, NT5 under the ride and a SM7 on the right hihat..

Man I need those cymbals for the studio, they sound beautiful. Impressive cover as well! Reminds me of how I spent most of my high school years hah.

Same here! Lots of drumming along to Rush and Yes songs, and DT when Images & Words came out my senior year.

Great cover, nice playing! Looks like *most* of the cymbals are Meinl, which have great tonal qualities, a few drummers I know play them and like the sound but not the reliability unfortunately :-(

What cymbals and overheads are you using. Sounds fantastic.

thanks man. the overheads were a spaced pair of AKG C414B-XL II's through an API A2D. we spent quite abit of time on the placement, i was going for more cymbal pickup than kit body..a tradeoff i guess.

full list of cymbals is:

Zildjian 14" A Mastersound Hi-Hats
Zildjian A 12" Splash
Bosphorous Masters Series 6" Splash
Meinl 16" Soundcaster Crash
Meinl 14" Generation-X Filter China (stacked)
Zildjian 12" K Splash (stacked)
Instanbul 17"Rock Crash
Meinl 22" Heavy Metal Bell Ride
UFIP 14" Rough Series Hi-Hats
Sabian 17" AAX China

Yeah those Meinl's sound great! really nice and defined, especially that metal bell ride. rather motely collection of cymbals (drummer's own, house cymbals) but he made it work! those UFIP hihats don't normally record well at all..

I don't even like this song at all, but had to give it a listen anyway because I know how complex and challenging this song is.
Any drummer that can pull this off has my respect. Would love to hear more covers of more tasteful (but still technical/challenging) songs :)