yuletide tradtions

spaffe said:
never heard of it, but it sure sounds awful ;)
seems like the stuff that could give you a 3-day hangover

No no, my mothers secret recipe goes down so smooth that you're drunk before you can count to ten.

NP: Centinex-Soulcrusher

Patric said:
Julmust is ok if you put alchohol in it but I preffer this drink, which I forgot the name of, perhaps "Jumma" or something? It's a mixture of Julmust, beer and wine I think.
Would that be some kind of variant of "mumma"? Now that is one lovely thing, even better than beer! (Really!) That's a family yuletide tradition for me: You pour some sugar and some gin (not much, perhaps 0.5-1 dl if you're making one liter mumma; also, some use madeira in stead of gin) in a pitcher, and then add equal amounts of beer, porter and "sockerdricka" (what?). I suppose the porter could be replaced with julmust.

BTW, Googling for a translation of sockerdricka, I found this:
http://quizilla.com/users/sssarah/quizzes/Are you Swedish?
*phew* I am Swedish!

Also, to clarify things about julmust: http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julmust

Ah yes, mumma it is! Thank you my man! But if it beats beer? Naaah, that's a bit over the edge.

Hey great beard, do you trim it?

I shaved it off over a year ago, actually (yeah, I'm ashamed), but yes, I trimmed it every now and then... starts looking very strange if you don't :)

And about mumma being better than beer, that's just during the "julbord". Mumma is like mead, it tastes very well if you drink far too little of it far too seldom!

Nothing ignorant in that, it's a solely Scandinavian/Swedish thing. I dunno of any links, I can look tomorrow though.

Patric said:
Nothing ignorant in that, it's a solely Scandinavian/Swedish thing. I dunno of any links, I can look tomorrow though.

I think its 100% Swedish mate, never heard of it or seen it in the stores here...

Ah, you could be right....
Well, it's like a bland Cola with some Xmas aromas. You can drink it as it is any hour of the Xmas month. But if you wanna make it a big party drink, that's when you take alchohol in it or make a "mumma" as described here.

If you want to taste Julmust, take a bottle of coke, open it up, then put it on your window shelf and make sure it gets alot of sun.
Now leave it there for 2-3 days, and then add about 3kg of sugar.
Mix it up good and let it stay in the sun for another 2-3 days.
Now put it in the fridge, and youre ready to taste Julmust :)

longknife said:
um.. pardon my ignorance but ive never heard of julmust is there a web site or somthing i can read about it.

i found this little text about julmust, and made a crude translation, perhaps it can clear things up. but first of all, since i'm not sure if this has been said, we have also got "påskmust" which means easter must while "julmust" means christmas must. we have also got plain all year round must :)

"there is no difference between julmust and påskmust, the only thing seperating them is the label. in later years plain must has become increasingly popular. when flavouring must, mustextract is used. to get the right flavour the must is stored for some time, the longer it's stored the more it tastes. 60 milions liters of must is consumed in sweden each year, and 40-45 mils the during christmas-holydays. apart from sweden must is also produced in very smal scale in USA and norway"

perhaps you and aggressor can taste some then if you search hard enough :)