"Zero Distance" project ??

Zach.Zhang

Aug 15, 2008
Beijing, China
DARK TRANQUILLITY have posted a trailer for their new "Zero distance" project, of which more details will be revealed in the near future.

So it's a new project, huh ?

An alternative album or an EP ?

Can't wait ! :hotjump:

Last edited by a moderator:
The dates make it look like it's almost certainly a tour; however, no one deploys quality HD cameras or prepares graphics that snazzy for a 21 second teaser. That suggests that there's new video footage coming. Probably a music video, since they just put out their last DVD.

Also, Zero Distance. This was first mentioned as a song title during the development of WatV. It did not appear as a track name. While some others can be identified by their new names (The Burden of Love Alive -> To Where Fires Cannot Feed), Zero Distance did not appear as a lyric. As such, we don't really know what became of it.

Is there a new song with the unused name? Or is this the same song that we haven't heard yet?

If I had to guess, the song which would have most likely had that title from WatV would be Out of Gravity. darktranquillity.com posted the teaser under the title "From where do you see yourself?", the answer to which is probably "Zero Distance," which is an interesting way of describing our unique lack of perspective on ourselves. Shitty depth of field effects and all. Anyway, the "dark" charged into in Out of Gravity in which the protagonist confronts death/mortality/himself is likely internal, though described spatially. As though existing in Zero Distance. So, this could have something to do with that. I will bide my time and try not to pee my pants in excitement.

The tour dates are just those of the Neckbreaker's Ball tour so they probably are just a little add-on and may have nothing to do with ZD. Wish I could spend time being excited, but life currently does not grant me free time.

Also, Zero Distance. This was first mentioned as a song title during the development of WatV. It did not appear as a track name. While some others can be identified by their new names (The Burden of Love Alive -> To Where Fires Cannot Feed), Zero Distance did not appear as a lyric. As such, we don't really know what became of it.

Is there a new song with the unused name? Or is this the same song that we haven't heard yet?

If I had to guess, the song which would have most likely had that title from WatV would be Out of Gravity.

I actually thought it was a working title for "In My Absence" back when the album was first released, partly due to process of elimination and partly due to some of the lyrics ("I know you're out there searching tonight / I'm right here" implying a sense of distance where there really is none, and all that jazz) but Out of Gravity seems like a logical guess, if not slightly similar in theme.

Either way, I loved the "Zero Distance" title back then, so it'll be cool to see what this is.

Actually, In My Absence probably makes more sense than Out of Gravity. I had kind of landed on OoG because it didn't appear in the album proper, and I figured Zero Distance didn't either (since the title wasn't there). Really, that's a baseless assumption, so either one works.

I wish you'd see me here in front of you,
But I am not here

I personally hope the new song, if it's a new song, to be very intense, chaotic, energetic, and downright horrific - all the things both Character and The Gallery were. Not to say that nu-metal Dark Tranquillity is bad, just I wish the chaotic, horrific elements that the band really pioneered (who else does music like that?) really continued to shine through. It's why I liked Iridium's chorus so much, but then again, the song was written decades ago. I want something from DT that really shocks me, something with a real horror atmosphere, I think there's a lot more energy they could be releasing instead of keeping things tame and in the nu-metal zone. The demo version of Surface The Infinity (heard in the studio reports) really shows where Mike and the band seem to tame down the vocals and sound for the official releases (the demo chorus was truly intense.) I'm just a bit tired of melodrama, tame sounds. Just like they did after Projector and Haven (which were brilliant albums), I think Dark Tranquillity need to shake things up again, discover a truly new sound.