Zero Order Phase

I absolutely agree, in fact I bought it yesterday and have been listening to it non-stop ever since.

NK, I'd love to hear whatever details you would like to share about the recording process, gear and stuff that you used on this. I know Jeff is now endorsing Engl amps and I believe I had seen/read/heard that you used a Powerball head to record this cd, is that right? Any other amps used? Did you double or quad-track the rhythm like I believe most of the Nevermore stuff is done? How was recording Manring and Jarzombek, or were you involved in that?

All in all, I love the sound you got on the cd. Continued success in all that you do, Neil!

Regards,
Jeff

Just saw this thread - thanks guys!

We used an Engl SE (EL34 model) for ALL the electric guitars on this record, rhythm, lead and cleans. We used different amounts of rhythm guitars per track, and per part, usually between 2 and 4.

I wasn't physically there to record either Michael or Ron, as I sent the tracks out to them and they did their thing in their own studios. I've done a couple of records with Michael, and he's an absolute joy to work with. I've never met or worked with Ron, but I hope to one day. Both guys are certainly consummate professionals.

I don't recall saying it in any public place, so I'll say it here. Cashmere Shiv is the best sounding song, and the best instrumental song, I've heard all year. Didn't realize this was the one you played on till Ben mentioned it.

I don't recall saying it in any public place, so I'll say it here. Cashmere Shiv is the best sounding song, and the best instrumental song, I've heard all year. Didn't realize this was the one you played on till Ben mentioned it.

Thanks a lot. Actually, to be honest, apart from Mark's drums and the guest appearances by Michael, Ron and Pat, the remainder of the album was performed by Jeff and myself.

Jeff did all the guitars and the bass, which was an astonishing amount of work. He also already had several of the keyboard bits and pieces worked out, that simply needed a bit of re-voicing and tweaking.

I did the remainder of the keyboards and all the orchestral arrangements, which was great fun. I certainly consider myself extremely fortunate to ALSO be able to contribute a guitar solo in addition to that stuff.

It's always fun to play on records, and particularly with musicians for whom you have such a high regard.

:headbang::headbang:

No, it was an acoustic kit. I forget what type of drums they were though (I'm terrible with drums, LOL). I'll find out from Mark and post the info, ok?

hey neil, what reverb are you using on the toms? it sounds like you use it for most of the metal stuff you do. It sounds similar to nile and akercocke's toms. I love it, it's a 480l right? if so, which patch is it?

I'll usually try out several different reverb units on each project to find the right one. For the tom reverb on ZOP I actually used the D-Verb plugin within PT.

I really don't have one patch or unit that I use all the time. To be honest, depending on where I'm mixing, a particular unit might already be in use in another room, or out being repaired etc. At that point you have to have a Plan B or even a Plan C. As a result, you can end up using different units and different patches.

For both the Nile and the Akercocke, I did use a 480L for the tom reverb. As with any drum reverb unit, I modify the patches according to how the drum sounds "hit" the reverb. Some patches that I've used over the years include "A Plate", "Snare Plate" and "Small and Bright", but if you spend a little time you can actually make all of those sound virtually identical. Therefore, I select the patch according to the sound of the toms (same with the snare as well etc.) once I've got the EQ pretty close. Then I modify both the patch and the drums accordingly after that. It's very seldom that a factory preset will work without any fine tuning, but the presets are a good starting point and can be tweaked from there.

For the last few years quite a few of my reverbs have been generated within PT, even when I'm not mixing completely ITB. I enjoy doing it that way, simply because I can then recall all the reverbs and delays exactly, and the third dimension is often one the most time-consuming things to set up or re-create. Quite often, for some mixing projects, I find that I haven't got enough "old reliable" outboard reverb units, so I'll use others from within PT as well. I remember doing a mix years ago at a studio I'd never worked at before, and they had a couple of units out of commission, so I ended up using only ITB reverb. It worked out great.

Neil this album is amazing! I ordered it and agree, the drums sound very clean. I really like that drummer!
Awesome job! - See you soon!
Aziza

Yep. Real drums and real guitars. No time stretching, no varispeed etc.

This is Jeff Loomis! The guy's a monster!

Need I say more, apart from "keep practising you lazy bastards!"

:devil::devil: :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

yeah
that album is awesome, sometimes I think someone mixed some "Meshuggah" into to archieve this aggressive hard sound!
but Jeff Loomis did a great job.
But stll there are also a lot of Nevermore-influences you can't deny it(Neil)..

Hey Neil,

What drum loop software was used for the song "departure" from Zero Order Phase?

I looking into purchasing a similar piece of software if available.

Thanks