Zions Abyss - A lost classic on CD

Metal79

Aug 5, 2006
The Netherlands
In 1991/1992, the Canadian four-piece Zions Abyss recorded Tales, a one-off album that was only released on cassette and disappeared into obscurity during the dark age of grunge/alternative. Four years later, guitar player Andy Waitkus passed away at 34 and Zions Abyss was not heard of again. Until now.

The Greek label Steel Legacy have recently issued Tales on CD. It holds no less than twelve brilliant songs in the US-metal tradition of early Queensryche/Lethal/Sacred Warrior/Recon/Screamer. Twelve majestic and melodic songs with soaring vocals and enough drama and astounding riffs/arrangements to rewrite US-/Canadian metal history. The epic power ballad 'Scarred for life' is worth the price of this CD alone.:worship:

I was amazed to stumble upon this gem of a record and already consider it a long lost classic, worthy of a place among such albums as Programmed, Target: earth, The warning, Behind enemy lines and Wicked generation. This is hands down the best CD so far this year for me, never mind that the material is more than 15 years old.

I got the Zions Abyss CD from the ever reliable Helmut Müller at Underground Power Distro in Germany. Contact: helle.mueller@freenet.de
He's on MySpace also: www.myspace.com/undergroundpower

More info at the label's website: www.steel-legacy.com (who also issued this on vinyl in a limited edition of 500 copies).

If they were canadians and sounded like early Queensrÿche or Lethal I guess that album is amazing.

I´m going to check out their label and try to buy that album.

Thanks for the info :headbang:

P.S: More that 15 years that I didn´t hear about Screamer´s "Target: Earth". Surprisingly!!

@Marco Spain/Hawk/Carnut/others: when you get the album, please post your views here, it'll be interesting to see how this major league metal album kicks in.
Gotta go now, I'm preparing a Spanish oven dish and I've just opened a very good Bordeaux, heheheh..:saint:

The CD is really amazing, it's a "must have" for everyone.

I can't understand why it has been lost for so many years...

And now a more detailed opinion for the album:

I have to agree with Metal79 for "Scarred for Life", it is one of the best ballads I have ever listened and I think that it could have place in masterpieces of the genre like "Rage for Order", "Programmed" etc. Although, "T.A.L.E.S" alone is a real masterpiece form start to end. My favorite songs, though, are "Forever Alive", "Sorrow On the Horizon" and "Running Out of Time".

I recommend this CD to everyone who likes US Power metal in the vein of (early) Queensryche, Crimson Glory, Lethal etc. You will remember me (and Metal79, of course) and you'll agree that this is the best 2007 release so far. :)

Other sources (I mean mailorders) where you can find the Zions Abyss CD/LP, besides the label itself:

www.evillegendrecords.com
www.eatmetalrecords.com/shop
www.karthagorecords.de
www.sonicagerecords.com