Kataklysm - Serenity In Fire

markgugs said:
Josh, self-proclaiming yourself the "death metal guru" doesn't make it so you know. ;)

And I'm sure you're also aware that your opinion on this matter is the minority (not that that's a bad thing, just pointing it out). Most listeners - whether they be critics or fans - tend to feel that Kataklysm got to the next level ONCE Iacono took over as full-time vocalist.

Actually, every one on staff has pretty much proclaimed it for me. :Smug: These kinds of things happen... geee, where have you been? :loco:

Besides, I'd rather be in the minority. It's the majority that likes crap like The Darkness (how gay) and helps them to be be overexposed. :D

And according to most underground death metal fans, just so you know, KATAKLYSM sold out after Temple Of Knowledge with that piece of shit hardcore release and then only barely salvaged themselves w/ The Prophecy.

But, oh well, I don't care if you like your death metal elementary with barely any challenges. ;)

Black Winter Day said:
i saw dez and devil driver last night... they put on an okay show but the songs were shit. i could probably learn them all on guitar in 5 mins. not one memorable moment. and what sucks is that they played AFTER moonspell, so i couldn't just come late to the show... :bah:

but opeth made up for it

I guess Devildriver and Moonspell are alternating as opening acts as Devildriver opened when I went. Devildriver tried, but they just play some boring stuff. Moonspell was rather good and of course Opeth ruled hugely.

Concerning Kataklysm, I have Sorcery/The Mystical Gate of Reincarnation and their last three and although Sorcery has that "tr00" feel, I personally think that Shadows and Dust blows it away by miles. I also think Sylvain Houlde gets destroyed by Maurizio Iacono on vocals, but death metal vocals are something everyone likes a certain way. Like with Lord Worm. I can't find anything about his vocals that make him what many would consider the ultimate death metal vocalist, but thats okay. And now after delaying my order for about 3 months, Amazon is actually sending me Temple of Knowledge so if my opinion on early Kataklysm changes, I'll let you know. :Spin: Not that I'm the death metal guru, but thats my 2 cents.

Papa Josh said:
Actually, every one on staff has pretty much proclaimed it for me. :Smug: These kinds of things happen... geee, where have you been? :loco:
In a cave for the most part. And since when does the staff actually know anything? ;)

But, oh well, I don't care if you like your death metal elementary with barely any challenges. ;)
Real life challenges me just plenty. I like my metal to be fun to actually listen to. :loco:

markgugs said:
In a cave for the most part. And since when does the staff actually know anything? ;)

Real life challenges me just plenty. I like my metal to be fun to actually listen to. :loco:

Point well taken. Besides, you know me homie, I get a kick out of being a smartass.

In regards to Kataklysm though, Temple Of Knowledge is still the record to beat, in my opinion. It's unfortuante that they only had the drummer on that record and not the earlier ones or later ones. The original drummer/current drummer has a really annoying single bass blast beat, due to a physical condition....

And I can definitely see the parallel with Cryptopsy and Kataklysm, but unlike my preference for Houde's over the top to the ninth extreme death metal vocals (have you ever tried to follow him in a lyric book? It's sick!), I prefer Mike DiSalvo in Cryptopsy to Lord Worm.

Right then, I'm only on the first spin on this new album (never having heard any Kataklysm before in my life), and the second track, "The Resurrected", is just fucking glorious. That stomping, headbanging tempo in the main verse and chorus leaves me in a pile of dust. I love the dual vocal layers too. Thing is, what's up with the drumming intro? The drum machine intro set to 3 million beats per minute is just so unnecessary...

JK, those aren't vocal layers, unless you're talking about the background track playing behind Maurizio. He does both the high and low vocals, and pulls them off live without any tape helping him out.

As for the drumming, the new kid is Martin something or other, and he replaced long-time fan fave Max Duhamel. There is no drum machine on this album that I'm aware of, unless the band has seriously changed their mind. Sure they use triggers, but the kid is the fastest drum wunderkind I've ever heard. Or seen. Seriously.

markgugs said:
JK, those aren't vocal layers, unless you're talking about the background track playing behind Maurizio. He does both the high and low vocals, and pulls them off live without any tape helping him out.
I'm talking about those sections where the high and low vocals can be heard in unison (same thing Benton did on Dechristianize). It's in the chorus:

"...never (?) resurrected, inside your deepest fear, inside your darkest hour, inside your bleeding heart..."

This line is repeated twice in each chorus, and each second line is delivered with the high pitched screams played back on top of the guttural growls. It reminds very much of Vital Remains.

As for the drumming, the new kid is Martin something or other, and he replaced long-time fan fave Max Duhamel. There is no drum machine on this album that I'm aware of, unless the band has seriously changed their mind. Sure they use triggers, but the kid is the fastest drum wunderkind I've ever heard. Or seen. Seriously.
OK, but that specific intro section is inhuman! I thought triggers just evened out the sound so the drums sounded consistent (not necessarily making the drums sound quicker). Listen to it, it's like Thumper on speed. :tickled:

JayKeeley said:
I'm talking about those sections where the high and low vocals can be heard in unison (same thing Benton did on Dechristianize). It's in the chorus:

"...never (?) resurrected, inside your deepest fear, inside your darkest hour, inside your bleeding heart..."

This line is repeated twice in each chorus, and each second line is delivered with the high pitched screams played back on top of the guttural growls. It reminds very much of Vital Remains.
Yeah, ok, so it's really layered stuff. I thought at first you might be referring to the quick switching between styles. He's been doing that more and more with each album, and I think this might be the best one yet. :D

OK, but that specific intro section is inhuman! I thought triggers just evened out the sound so the drums sounded consistent (not necessarily making the drums sound quicker). Listen to it, it's like Thumper on speed. :tickled:
I believe the word "tommygun" popped into my head while driving earlier. I know what you mean. Again, I haven't really dug into the liner notes or anything, but they always had a "no electronics of any kind" policy on previous releases. The kid really is insane, btw. He does this one-handed roll that literally has to be seen to be believed.

Serenity in Fire is fairly decent. Overall it has a few weak points (particularly the first few songs) and its not as strong as Shadows and Dust, but it is still a great CD if you can overlook the weak points.

Is anyone on staff reviewing Serenity in Fire? I really don't know any of their other stuff so I'm not a good candidate, but I would still like to find out how the drums were recorded for this one. I can't get over the machine-like speed on some drum breaks, and if indeed it is human, then this deserves highlighting in the review.

JayKeeley said:
Is anyone on staff reviewing Serenity in Fire? I really don't know any of their other stuff so I'm not a good candidate, but I would still like to find out how the drums were recorded for this one. I can't get over the machine-like speed on some drum breaks, and if indeed it is human, then this deserves highlighting in the review.
I told you I'd review it, but then again, I'm not on the staff :cool:

JayKeeley said:
Has anyone heard Epic (The Poetry of War)? Any good?

I think its a very good album. The Prophecy and Shadows and Dust are as well and I think they got progressively better with each one of those cds. I unfortunately haven't heard Serenity in Fire yet, but if its anywhere near the level of Shadows and Dust (and I assume it is) then I have to have it.

Try to get a listen of Era of the Mercyless, As the Glorius Weep, Manipulator of Souls or What We Endure. Those songs are all great.

Opeth17 said:
I think its a very good album. The Prophecy and Shadows and Dust are as well and I think they got progressively better with each one of those cds. I unfortunately haven't heard Serenity in Fire yet, but if its anywhere near the level of Shadows and Dust (and I assume it is) then I have to have it.
Shadows and Dust is on my must-have list. The cool thing is, I'm sold on Kataklysm through Serenity in Fire alone and all I keep hearing is that their catalog gets better. To be honest, I hear some Vital Remains similarities in that they are both epic death metal, and that actually got me excited for the album called 'Epic (The Poetry of War)'. I mean, what a title! :cool: :loco:

JayKeeley said:
Shadows and Dust is on my must-have list. The cool thing is, I'm sold on Kataklysm through Serenity in Fire alone and all I keep hearing is that their catalog gets better. To be honest, I hear some Vital Remains similarities in that they are both epic death metal, and that actually got me excited for the album called 'Epic (The Poetry of War)'. I mean, what a title! :cool: :loco:

I have to pick up Serenity in Fire as quickly as I can as Kataklysm is one of those bands that is high up on my list. Shadows and Dust just rules. The first song on that album just comes out of nowhere and destroys and there's no stopping from there on. The Prophecy and Epic are very good too and you can't go wrong with any of the three, but Shadows and Dust is just... :worship: