My Arms, Your Hearse

I haven't listened to Opeth in a very long time. Last one i heard by them was Deliverance which was only once since the thing came and went leaving no favorable impression, and so it began it's life on the shelf from then on. Still Life i probably enjoyed more than the rest. MAYH is good and all, When being an excellent song as well as a few others but i'd rank SL above it. The Twilight is My Robe is also a very good song since Orchid was mentioned. um yea..

Opeth17 said:
I do think Orchid is incredible and probably the best as for never wearing out or getting stale after ridiculous amounts of repeated listening.
Exactly. Orchid always sounds fresh. Morningrise just followed in the footsteps of Orchid with a slighty better production and less interesting songs. The below average production of Orchid adds to the overall feel of the album.

DOn't know, Orchid just sounds like the most pure Opeth album. All the others are just...there.

The clean vocals on Orchid are not good, to say the least. I'm not sure what happened between the first two albums and MAYH, but I assume he took singing lessons.

Also, how many Opeth fans would have bought, listened to, and praised Damnation if it was released by some unknown, non-metal band? What's the likelihood that we'd get an honest answer?

Opeth fans wouldn't have given a damn about Damnation. Just like they wouldn't give a damn about Porcupine Tree if Akerfeldt wasn't blowing Wilson.

Maybe yes, maybe no, because they like Camel... oh wait that's only because Mikael says he was influenced by them. :dopey:

Hey, what are the odds RjBeals has posted this thread in the Opeth forum? Have we talked enough shit yet? :loco:

General Zod said:
Well, I for one can prove I would have liked it:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=603

Posted on May 8th, 2001.

Zod
Interesting.

That thread suggests that Opeth claimed they would never do an all acoustic album, and then it was the label that requested they do the 2-CD thing. I never knew that (unless I forgot).

Nevertheless, "Damnation" isn't very good I don't think. Almost as if the smaller acoustic arrangements on their regular songs should be left as-is, intertwined with the heavier sections. Less is more.

So we know about Bloodbath, but what happened with the Spiritual Beggars collaboration?

And what do people think of the new Bloodbath btw? I've heard it once, and it's pretty good. Better than the last one - interesting riffage. Perhaps this has something to do with Swano now writing & playing guitar riffs instead of beating drums like a monkey.

I love Damnation. It's never going to be my favorite Opeth record, but I don't have any complaints about the album. Maybe some of the material sounds like it could be contained in longer predominantly heavy songs, but most don't and stand alone quite well.

The new Bloodbath is a very solid album. I still need to give it some more spins, but so far so good.

Yeah that new Bloodbath rocks, and I didn't like the last one. Tägtgren has got some wicked pipes, proven once again.

If they'd done an ACTUAL acoustic album instead of a mostly clean-electric album, and if they'd done it well, it woulda been awesome ;)

Damnation is good music to put yourself to sleep, if you're into that kind of thing. It sounds so half-assed, probably because it was. Every album of theirs since Still Life has been admittedly rushed and not rehearsed at all.

JK said:
The clean vocals on Orchid are not good, to say the least. I'm not sure what happened between the first two albums and MAYH, but I assume he took singing lessons.

I never noticed this, they sound fine to me.

Erik said:
No, this is where they CHANGED their style, and it didn't really sink in until "Still Life." I find MAYH pretty fucking boring. "Morningrise" and "Still Life" both own it thirty-six ways to Saturday.

About Orchid: Those clean vocals on Orchid are mixed very badly, maybe because Mike wasn't so comfort with his clean voice yet and in my opinion, that's the only problem with the vocals on Orchid, but donät actually bother me at all. I think Mike did his best vocal-work on Orchid, since then he used much higher screams than later albums. The songs on Orchid are very emotional and have this strange and sad feeling among the hate, that Mikes aggressive singing brings there. The playing on it is kind of sloppy in some parts and I liked it that way, not too polished and really have the feel instead of ultimate technical playing. I mean they're very good players here, but some very minor mistakes can be heard and that's the way it should be too. Great album overall, maybe the best, maybe the second after Morningrise.

About Morningrise: First I thought this album had very weird production and the bass was kind of dominating the whole soundcape, but then I started to really like it. The songs were very good and it was and still is a record without any filler. The twin-guitar-stuff is still here and the playing is tight, although sometimes it might not sound like that, because the sound. Vocals on this were very good, both clean and harsh. The bass and drums are tight together, I really liked the way Nordin used the snare and Johan used fingers, fretless bass and other stuff. At this point Opeth had this mysterious image surrounding them and I liked it. Great album, together with Orchid.

About MAYH: I think MAYH was boring and really badly produced album, also it's the first album, where these constant harmony guitars were changed into riffing and I hated the change. Clean vocals were much better than before and I liked the growls, but sadly the higher screams were nowhere to be found. Also Nordin and Johan was gone and I didn't like change, although the bass were played by Mike, but the magic Johan had in his playing was way ahead of anything Opeth has done with bass since Morningrise. There's a lot of spoke about Mike composing the bass lines for earlier records, but it still was Johans great style that made them sound so wicked. Also this was the album, where Mike and Peter were not working together with the songs anymore and that might be the reason of the loss of twin-guitars and things getting more riff-oriented.

Still Life was way better than MAYH and The Moor is one of my favourite songs along with few other tracks on the album and hope about Opeth lifted up until the total crash among Blackwater Park. I really dislike the Wilson-influense (altough Damnation is good album when not comparing it to first two Opeth-album). I believe it's great to work with your musical idol, but still, I really believe that this was the point where Opeth took the wrong step. The songs gives me nothing, I've tried to get into this record for ages, but it does nothing for me, just bores me. For me, this was the first Opeth-album that I didn't bought when it was released since I listened it first at my friends house. I later bought it, since it was released with the 2nd disc, that had the 2 acoustic songs I really liked. If I'd find those songs on 7" I'd be getting rid of this awfull album.

Damnation was interesting and good album, but Deliverance has very much filler on it. Few good songs, but I was very dissapointed, since it was said to be "very dark and metal" and I was expecting something in the vein of older albums. Well, should've guessed that would be not possible anymore. Boring playing and sadly I have to say, that in earlier state, you could never tell what comes next on Opeth-song, but nowdays they have this formula, that has been used too many times.

:worship: Orchid & Morningrise.

Maybe all this sounds harsh, but since I was introduced to Opeth after Orchid was released, this may sound a bit more logical.

Just to confirm, I wasn't saying that the poor clean vocals take anything away from Orchid or Morningrise -- both excellent albums with Morningrise being my favourite -- but let's be honest and just admit that his clean vox on latter albums >>>>>>>>>>>> clean vox on first two.

You HAVE to assume he had some coaching. I guess he could have spent weeks getting them right in the studio or rehearsals, but his live clean singing voice is excellent (he nails the notes everytime), so I'm assuming he hired a teacher and actually learned how to sing somewhere along the way.

Papa Josh said:
It really is funny to me how much debate this band spurs.
It is pretty weird.

Opeth has distinctive riffs, to me that is always what set them apart from other bands. Not the long songs, the drastic changes, none of that crap. I hear an Opeth riff and I think "yep, that's Opeth."

Reactions: Krilons Resa
from one of our millions of live reports said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] I swear that Akerfeldt has six fingers on his left hand. The chords he let rip were played in the deranged key of ‘O’.
That's pretty much Opeth to me - songs in the key of O. It is so distinct.
[/font]