Opeth's music has fallen victim to the Loudness War

You don't really need the power of weed, the power of the mind works
listen to Liszt and you might see color, perhaps more :)
Thoughtforms

What the hell does this comment have to do with anything? His post is perfectly good and appropriate evidence for the discussion at hand.

One thing I've learned from working with sound for the past five years is that you do not watch sound, you listen. Watching is good for precise editing and cutting, but come on, in this case just chill and listen. Ghost Reveries was mastered in Cutting Room here in sthlm by Thomas Edeberger with Jens&Opeth, and that goes for the record in any format. The vinyl has the same compressed master, there was no evil-cd-press-company-master that killed frequenses. The difference between those two pictures is related to his ways of recording the sound onto his computer, not different dynamic content in the song. Sorry.

One thing I've learned from working with sound for the past five years is that you do not watch sound, you listen. Watching is good for precise editing and cutting, but come on, in this case just chill and listen. Ghost Reveries was mastered in Cutting Room here in sthlm by Thomas Edeberger with Jens&Opeth, and that goes for the record in any format. The vinyl has the same compressed master, there was no evil-cd-press-company-master that killed frequenses. The difference between those two pictures is related to his ways of recording the sound onto his computer, not different dynamic content in the song. Sorry.

They may have the same master, but the CD was dynamically compressed much more than the vinyl. The differences are obvious. The vinyl has no flatlining going on like the CD. Once they are flatlined, there is nothing you can do to get them back. Now if he posted a quiet wavform with all the peaks compressed like on the CD, I'd 100% agree with you. But they aren't, and the differences are obvious.

EDIT:

Here is what I am talking about...

tgcvolumereductionby6dbvw8.jpg

This is a direct CD rip that has been attenuated by 6db.

And here is the vinyl rip:

tgglpversionwl1.jpg

Does the CD wavform look anything like the vinyl wavform? Like I said before, the vinyl retains those peaks while the CD compresses them. There is NO way to get them back.

yes it is obvious waht ure sayin here roadtonowhere...!!!.....u haev to agree with loabster....this is not a suepr crappy record...GR soudns realy relaly good actually...!!!!.....u can hear everythign perfectly fine.....i relaly dont see what the problem is here...mayeb we are over analyzing somethign ...that is not even there to begin with...!!!!!.......PEAC EOUT

yes it is obvious waht ure sayin here roadtonowhere...!!!.....u haev to agree with loabster....this is not a suepr crappy record...GR soudns realy relaly good actually...!!!!.....u can hear everythign perfectly fine.....i relaly dont see what the problem is here...mayeb we are over analyzing somethign ...that is not even there to begin with...!!!!!.......PEAC EOUT

I am not saying that the record sucks at all in any aspect. In fact, it is probably their most well-rounded record in terms of overall sound quality. I am saying that in my opinion, Opeth deserves the absolute best in terms of mastering because their music is friggin' great. If they sucked, like a lot metal of bands do, I would not even care and would not have posted in this thread. There are many bands where I do not care if their music is shot to pieces by bad production, Opeth is not one of them.

For the record, I can hear the compression on their albums. Their music is very dynamic, but parts that shoud be more dynamic are compresed, and the wavforms show that. There are many albums that are not compressed and they blow me away with dynamics. All one has to do is turn up the volume.

Try the Telarc released Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture. THAT is dynamic. Or better yet, get your hands on a few MFSL and DCC released rock albums like Queensruche's Empire. Or try Virgin Black's Elegant... and Dying. None of them are compressed and it really shows. If you have a good set of speakers and a beefy amp, you will hear the difference.

Towedwart: Yes and no. Switch between the mp3 and the .wav or .flac and you will hear the difference in the cymbals and bass resolution and depth. The overall dynamics will not change a lot, but the sound quality will.

Try the Telarc released Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture. THAT is dynamic.

Oh yes. That is a superb piece of music. Try this recording. That is heavy:headbang:

Generally classic music does not compress the dynamics. Actually cd can have quite a high quality but a lot of cd does sound like crap (even the music on them :lol: ).

I just wished that Opeth would have the best production as it would fit to their music. The production on GR is in fact quite good so why the extra compression?

@soundave - I'm not really in to Iron Maiden so I haven't heard "A Matter of Life and Death".

It is very sad the Opeth also makes production like this, but Opeth is not as bad as other bands.
This is why I always try to get a LP version.

To thoese that don't know what this is about look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

The LP versions are probably very often created from the same 2-track masters as the CD.

Also, note that waveform plots of LPs can be misleading.

CDs can still hold more dynamic range than an LP.. we shouldn't need to go back to older technology to get good sound! I have a lot of CDs from the early 90's and they sound really really good.

That is what the rest of the forum is about. Care to post some thoughtforms on the wavforms perhaps?

Hope you don't mind if I post some Thoughtforms wavforms:

Thoughtforms.jpg

Tune called "Thoughtforms" by Lush from about 1990. It's actually got little in the way of dynamic range, yet the drums have peaks and the waveform is not brickwalled.

The guitars are using compression and chorus on the preamps.

Visually, this is how I would expect some of Opeth's loud bits to look if they weren't brick-walled.

So what do you think Watershed production and mastering?

Here's my two cents:

They have dynamics in their music, and it's really a great thing. It's fantastic.

I've only been a fan for about two weeks, and they're coming to town next week, so I'll be there, because I love love love this band!!

OK, back to Watershed.

The dynamics are great, but the loud bits are all brickwalled and sound like it, too. That is not-so-good.

There is a certain sound that brickwalled recordings have, and it's getting easier to recognize it right away.

I am in favor and believe in a bit of compression, especially on individual tracks, but this brick-walling kind of over-compression is really really getting old.

The bottom line:

I love the music. The sound quality could be improved (just the brick-walled parts).

So what do you think Watershed production and mastering?

I haven't looked at the wawefroms but to me it sounds a lot like GR, not really good but on the other hand not terribly bad (at least not for a metal band). on Coil and the first half of hessian peel I can not hear clipping perhaps there is none?

Again I prefer the LP over the CD.

Have you guys heard the remastered version of Lightbulb sun? That one is superb in regards to the mastering.

Although music is being compressed and brick-limited more and more (to gain attention), in Opeth's case it's not a bad thing (yet)

Yes, Their mixes are loud, but at what point have you EVER heard them clip? Or thought, wow that was TOO loud (for example when all the instruments kick in). It doesn't happen with Opeth.

It's standard practice to bring them up as high as possible, but so long as their mixes sound great I'm not going to complain.