recommend me some non-metal THAT ISN'T ABOUT GIRLS/RELATIONSHIPS

WOW... and it wasnt me for a change........ lol

Who cares what the lyrics are about, so long as their good lyrics and good music. To find an entire album by a band that shows no interest in aspects of humanity.... blast off to another galaxy thats occupied by non humans who are empty inside.

:lol:

Im gonna write me a song about girls

its gonna be called "Girls suck cause if someone sings about them... I cry"

Hey Life Sucks, like people have said it is a hugely broad request, but I'm gonna give it my best shot with some recommendations. First of all, NinjaGeek, wow, that's a pretty impressive list. Out of those bands/artists, I would recommend:

Ash Ra Tempel, Can, Faust, Neu!, Popol Vuh, and Tangerine Dream if you want some out-there German Prog/Krautrock - half of these bands don't have vocals, and those that have don't really sing about relationships or girls, they're more surreal, stream of consciousness type lyrics

Bach if you like classical, you can't really go wrong there

King Crimson for some classic english prog

Let me just look through my CDs...

If you don't like people singing about relationships, then Frank Zappa would probably be a safe bet. He famously scorned the more sentimental style of lyrics that a lot of songwriters have. Frank's lyrics are mostly off the wall, tongue in cheek and filled with parodies and in jokes between the band members. Musically he's quite diverse, although occasionally he veers towards a more jazz-rock style which you may not like.

Acid Mothers Temple are a crazy japanese acid rock band, on the occasions they do have vocals it's mostly unintelligible wailing (not meaning to put you off them, they are awesome!).

Captain Beefheart - blues/psych/I-don't-know-how-the-fuck-to-describe-it artist, again the lyrics are completely surreal, so check him out, see what you think.

I hope this helps. :)

One last thing, here are some electronica artists you may like - no vocals whatsoever! - Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Autechre, Orbital, Global Communication

Be sure to make the vocals extremely masculine.

I'll use some bad ass gangster rap for the verses, then break into a oh so scary death growl thingamajiga for the chorus, which slowly turns into a whiny gay thing.... but suddenly realize, someone might be listening... snap out of it and get all bad ass again.......... :lol:

the critics will say the band is the most creative and origional yet.... CD sales will skyrocket... we'll be rich... fast cars... wild parties (no women allowed)... grrrreat times........

Worship them!

I do! :worship:

Kawabata's a fucking legend! I never realised until recently what a vast amount of stuff he's released. Apart from the almighty Temple, who have a huge discography, there's his solo stuff, and apparently he was in about three bands before he formed AMT (though being a fellow worshipper you probably know all this already :lol:). I dunno what to get next! From what I've read, Mainliner sound quite interesting.
Do you like Keiji Haino?

I don't listen to metal only for the lyrics, but the typical whiny relationship lyrics of indie/alt ("she said....." is the most overused line in the genre to the point where it annoys the fuck out of me) do annoy me.
What if the lyrics were less "typical"/clichéd? And what about lyrics in a language you don't understand?

Here are a few more recommendations (without "girly" lyrics):
The Third And The Mortal
Tactile Gemma
Mila Mar (on their album "Nova", vocalist Anke Hachfeld only sings sounds - just like Lisa Gerrard usually does)
Egschiglen

I'll use some bad ass gangster rap for the verses, then break into a oh so scary death growl thingamajiga for the chorus, which slowly turns into a whiny gay thing.... but suddenly realize, someone might be listening... snap out of it and get all bad ass again.......... :lol:

the critics will say the band is the most creative and origional yet.... CD sales will skyrocket... we'll be rich... fast cars... wild parties (no women allowed)... grrrreat times........
:Smug: Just because I am looking for non metal with lyrics about something other than relationships for a change (most non metal seems to deal only with this subject lyrically) doesn't mean I'm gay or I don't like girls. If there's a faggot or virgin in this thread, it sure as fuck ain't me, cause I'm far from being either. Is your handle referring the the AC DC album? AC DC are one of the worst bands ever. I'm better at guitar than Angus Young.

What if the lyrics were less "typical"/clichéd? And what about lyrics in a language you don't understand?

Here are a few more recommendations (without "girly" lyrics):
The Third And The Mortal
Tactile Gemma
Mila Mar (on their album "Nova", vocalist Anke Hachfeld only sings sounds - just like Lisa Gerrard usually does)
Egschiglen
I guess that's ok. But as I said, one of the things that kind or irks me about non-metal is that almost all of the lyrics are girly lyrics. If the lyrics are in another language that's fine. I'm fluent in English and German, and don't understand any other language.

So did you just ignore that huge argument in the middle of the thread where we proved that there are plenty of non-metal bands that don't sing about relationships...

No, I didn't. I should have phrased that differently. I started this thread because I thought that, but I guess I was wrong. It's really just the more mainstream stuff that tends to be 100% girly lyrically.

:Smug: Just because I am looking for non metal with lyrics about something other than relationships for a change (most non metal seems to deal only with this subject lyrically) doesn't mean I'm gay or I don't like girls. If there's a faggot or virgin in this thread, it sure as fuck ain't me, cause I'm far from being either. Is your handle referring the the AC DC album? AC DC are one of the worst bands ever. I'm better at guitar than Angus Young.

Naw, man I was just being stupid and making some fun of the metal need to be all manly, when no one is really that unfazable. Was making no reference to you or anyone in particular.

Actually I did not like AC/DC back in the day because they were so simplistic and I was into my 20's when they came out and was all serious and all. Now I like them when I just want to have a good time, but I dont own any. Their a great band to play covers of for bar gig, ya know get the girls out on the floor shakin their hynies. Actually the name razoredge origionated in reference to a form of automotive body design that was prevelent during the 60's. Im a bit of a car guy too. As for being "better" than Angus, I would say that depends on ones scope. Angus holds a strong place in the history of rock/metal guitar.

Your requests : There is alot of good music but as I mentioned entire albums that dont at least get into personal or one on one aspects of humanity for a song or two might be tuffer. I hear ya though, I was never much on the "getting laid" songs but more personal songs dont bother me so long as thats not all they play. BUT... Im the type thats more into humanity issues, be they personal perspectives, political or sociol. The warrior type stuff/side of metal actually translates into sociol issues anyhow. The wanna be evil stuff is something I take no part of, but I'll jump at any worthy warrior venture. Thats me.

progressive stuff : theres a progressive bands thread not too far down the page or the next that is loaded with good stuff from the 70's and current. Most of that rarely goes into "luv" or sex but might have alot of political, personal interspect or sociol issues. Wait theres two, one is about defining progressive music but further down or on the next page or two there should be one about progressive band recomendations.

Anyone know of any fucked up 70s (preferably instrumental) prog? I remember back in college one of my roommates had some of that shit and I kinda dug it.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer. They're Classical influenced, so I'm guessing you'll like them. They do have songs about relationships but they're not the typical "she said this, she said that" shit.

Naw, man I was just being stupid and making some fun of the metal need to be all manly, when no one is really that unfazable. Was making no reference to you or anyone in particular.

Actually I did not like AC/DC back in the day because they were so simplistic and I was into my 20's when they came out and was all serious and all. Now I like them when I just want to have a good time, but I dont own any. Their a great band to play covers of for bar gig, ya know get the girls out on the floor shakin their hynies. Actually the name razoredge origionated in reference to a form of automotive body design that was prevelent during the 60's. Im a bit of a car guy too. As for being "better" than Angus, I would say that depends on ones scope. Angus holds a strong place in the history of rock/metal guitar.

Your requests : There is alot of good music but as I mentioned entire albums that dont at least get into personal or one on one aspects of humanity for a song or two might be tuffer. I hear ya though, I was never much on the "getting laid" songs but more personal songs dont bother me so long as thats not all they play. BUT... Im the type thats more into humanity issues, be they personal perspectives, political or sociol. The warrior type stuff/side of metal actually translates into sociol issues anyhow. The wanna be evil stuff is something I take no part of, but I'll jump at any worthy warrior venture. Thats me.

progressive stuff : theres a progressive bands thread not too far down the page or the next that is loaded with good stuff from the 70's and current. Most of that rarely goes into "luv" or sex but might have alot of political, personal interspect or sociol issues. Wait theres two, one is about defining progressive music but further down or on the next page or two there should be one about progressive band recomendations.
I don't really think I'm better than Angus. He's got a few years on me (I'm 31) I was more just alluding to how simple AC DC are, being mostly just three powerchords in some kind of 1, 4, 5 progression.