releases 2008!

Gadlor

Herald of Homoerotic Fury
Aug 10, 2002
Aruba
obviously we, as the holy members of the skyfire message board terror squad, are missing a rather important release for the year of 2008. but with 2/3s of the year past, i am curious to see what everyone has thought of this year of metal and to espouse my own radical opinions on what has ruled. (maybe even some non-metal cds, too! sacre bleu!)

Agalloch - The White EP - a couple real gems on this one if you're into their slow doom-ish folk-ish metal. "Pantheist" and "Sowilo Rune" probably the standouts for me.

Eluvietie - Slania. Woohoo Swiss masquerading as Celts to perform folk metal. Probably one of my favorite folk metal bands now that Elvenking has, imho, kind of gone downhill ever since their debut. I was uninspired enough about Winter Wake to not have even listened to the Scythe. But Eluvietie is more melodeath-folk, and "Bloodstained Ground" got played on repeat probably far too many times for my roommate's comfort.

In Mourning - The Shrouded Divine. I really really enjoy this cd - it's got a lot of interesting rhythm and guitar work (it's progressive death in an Opeth kind of way...doesn't quite have as many switches between acoustic and distorted. In Mourning also does not have Akerfeldt's clean vocal power) and I was just really pleasantly surprised to find this band.

Raunchy - Wasteland Discotheque. I'm probably actually more impressed with this album than Deathpop Romance. Same style of industrialish metal...some really good songs in "The Bash" and "A Heavy Burden" and a wacky-but-cool cover of "Somebody's Watching Me."

Amon Amarth's Twilight of the Thunder God actually might cover a bit of new territory. It has a different feel to it than Versus the World or With Oden On Our Side - some experimentation and one well-placed DragonForce-ish solo actually make the record better. I find I enjoy about half of the songs on any given Amon Amarth cd and this one obeys that rule - "Twilight of the Thunder God", "Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags", and "The Hero" were probably my favorites.

Seventh Wonder's "Welcome To Mercy Falls" is pretty good stuff. They have some strange material - it's mostly carried by the power of its vocal lines, even though some of the guitar work is intensely technical AND melodic. It's just not...punchy, though, for some reason. You find yourself remembering the singing instead of the rockin' riffs. I like a lot of the cd but "Welcome to Mercy Falls" and "A Day Away" and "Hide and Seek" are the best.

Those are the few that have stood out so far to me (I also have a huge pile of 2007 albums that I only heard this year, but those don't count.) I also have a huge pileup of CDs that I've downloaded/bought and haven't listened to thoroughly enough yet to judge, including...: the new Haggard (sounds promising), Andromeda, Volbeat (what I've heard of this is good), Evergrey, Cloudscape, Falconer, Nettlethrone, Serenity ("Velatum" is pretty awesome), Secret Sphere (title track rules), Into Eternity, DragonForce, Royal Hunt, Tyr, Equilibrium (again, like what I've heard), Jorn, Keldian (really loved the first album, don't know why I haven't listened to the new one), Opeth, Diablo, Malpractice (what I heard of this was actually pretty boring, which is shocking considering "Deviations from the Flow"), Hollenthon, Ihsahn, In Flames, Forefather, and Brainstorm. Wow. I need to get listening.

Ones that I have been a little disappointed in..: the new Falconer hasn't sounded great, nor has Malpractice. Nothing off of CoB's "Blooddrunk" caught my ear, and I actually like Are You Dead Yet? - or at least enough of it so that I keep it in my playlists. Nothing about Ayreon's 2008 release was really as wowing as The Human Equation, though I think I may just need to give it a second chance. Sabaton's "The Art of War" was just okay, and they didn't include a heavily metal-referential final track which are the best parts of the other CDs. Xystus' Equilibrio...I listened to a lot of it and just nothing sounded really good with the symphony. No really good moments like on "Surreal."

So, what am I missing? What has been absolutely stupendous this year, and which of my opinions indicate that I have no musical taste whatsoever? :zombie:

(ps. listening to the new Metallica cd right now...i'm not sure what to think of it as I'm only on the second song. anyone else?)

only 2008 cds i've heard so far are Omnium Gatherum, Equilibrium, Eluvietie, Haggard, Dismember, Krisiun, Keep of Kalessin and Ceremonial Castings. to me they all rip. best stuff i've found. i'm excited to hear Skyfire and Catamenia more than anything right now.

i'm always looking for old stuff too for some reason. there's already so much awesome stuffs everywhere. but i know that opinion really doesn't exist. only what one is willing to tolerate out of all things. which opens up a massive dimension of everything. mines mostly just classical, symphonic/brutal black/death, videogame music and uh, the 80's heh.

Oh yeah i forgot new Ayreon. it was alright. doesn't hold a candle to the old stuffs. i used to love a bunch of old stuff i quit pursuing like in flames, megadeth, samael, metallica. their new stuff is weird now.

Fuck yes guys, was actually gonna make this thread myself!

I'm waiting on the new Cynic, Zonaria, and Cage (Rapper, not the band) before I make an official list. Skyfire prob would have nested in my top 5, but they'll make my list for 2009 as well as Wintersun. :D

Right now I've been spinning these albums in no particular order yet, but they are all 10/10 in my book (WARNING, NOT ALL OF THESE ARE METAL ALBUMS ZOMG):

Dead Meadow- Old Growth (stoner rock/classic rock with a modern touch)

Rome- Masse Mensch Material (Neofolk/industrial)

Evergrey- Torn (Progressive metal)

Nobuo Uematsu- Lost Odyssey OST (video game soundtrack)

Keep Of Kalessin- Kolossus (Progressive black)

Judas Priest- Nostradamus (NWOBHM)

Toxic Holocaust- An Overdose Of Death (Death/thrash)

Equilibrium- Sagas (Folk metal)

Scar Symmetry- Holographic Universe (Progressive death metal)

Immortal Technique- The 3rd World (Hip hop)

Fuck The Facts- Disgorge Mexico (Death/Grind)

Thrice- The Alchemy Index (Post rock/Pop/Indie rock)

Vampire Weekend- Vampire Weekend (Indie rock/pop)

Septicflesh- Communion (Death metal)

Nachtmystium- Assassins: Black Meddle Part 1 (Black metal/Hardcore/Progressive)

Opeth- Watershed (Progressive death metal)

Portishead- Third (Industrial/Trip hop)

Protest The Hero- Fortress (Progressive rock)

Metallica- Death Magnetic (Metal/rock)

Marionette- Spite (Experimental/Melodic death)

Stigma- When Midnight Strikes! (Deathcore/Death metal)

Cult Of Luna- Eternal Kingdom (Post metal)

Ayreon- 01011001 (Progressive metal/rock)

Agolloch- White Ep (Post metal/rock)

Tyr- Land (Folk metal)

Ansur- Warring Factions (Progressive death/black)

Machinery- The Passing (Progressive metal)

The Sound Of Animals Fighing- The Ocean And The Sun (Experimental/Progressive rock/hardcore)

One Day As a Lion- One Day As A Lion EP (Hip hop/industrial)

Iced Earth- The Crucible Of Man (Power metal)

Mercenary- Architect Of Lies (Progressive metal)

On a personal note, I absolutely am loving the new Metallica. While I did like Load and Reload, I think that this is the album that should have been made after the self titled release.

Never got to sit down with the In Mourning CD but I've heard great things. I also absolutely hated the new Eluvietie CD. Spirit was awesome, Slania just sounded like Dark Tranquility riffs with some folk melodies here and there. Or maybe I'm just cynical of their new popularity, who knows haha.

For 2008, I have a few favs:

1) Arsis - We Are the Nightmare: HOLY SHIT! They really amped up the technicality, love the drum work. Amazing.

2) Kalmah - For the Revolution: Not too much different, but very solid swamp shit.

3) Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God: Totally cover new ground with some shred solos, harmonicized (word?) sweeps, epic cellos (thanks to Apocalyptica), and.....black metal riffs?!

4) Dragonforce - Ultra Beatdown: Same style, just faster, better, more interesting.

5) Eluveitie - Slania: Holy shit this one came out of left field! Been listening to this one all year. Can't wait for their next disc.

6) Moonspell - Night Eternal: Great to hear this band get all deathly again. Have a few really epic, crushing tracks. The video for Night Eternal is also pretty fucking badass.

7) Mercenary - Architecht of Lies: These guys keep getting better and better. Throw in some growls (like their Everblack days) alongside the songwriting found on their last cd and you've got one hell of a listen.

8) Isahn - Angl: Gay title, great cd. Sounds like this was what should have come between Prometheus and The Adversary.

9) Into Eternity - The Incurable Tragedy: Not my fav Into Eternity album by any means, but still has some very well done material.

10) Equilibrium - Sagas: Nice follow up to Turis Fratyr. Love Wurzelbert and Snufell!

DISAPPOINTMENTS:

Children of Bodom - Blooddrunk: While I was completely entertained and enjoyed this album, it's just not really Bodom sounding anymore.

Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man: Half the tracks are genius, the other half is all filler. Should of made one amazing CD instead of 2 decent CDs.

The Haunted - Versus: Ugh. Peter Dolving ruins a potentially good disc yet again with his intense faggotry. His vocals make me want to gag on this disc.

In Flames - A Sense of Purpose: Is this a joke?

Opeth - Watershed: Mikael Akerfeldt's smugness has eclipsed his ability to write a decent metal song. Sounds like pussy rock with a hint of metal. What happened to his clean vocals nowadays? Sounds like he's trying out for American Idol rather than using his voice to play notes. Porcelain Heart = Most boring, repetetive, simple ass song man has ever conceived. Epic failure!

Norther - N: Ok what the fuck happened? Anyone see the "We Rock" video? You'd think sexy dancers and metal would mix.....but they don't...

Great thread!

I'm officially pretty sold on the new Metallica. It's not what I typically think of Metallica but there is no sense trying to put the cat back into the bag. My favorites on it are probably Broken, Beat & Scarred, All Nightmare Long, Cyanide, and the instrumental. I'm glad that they included an instrumental - even though it's not the bone-crushing intensity of To Live Is To Die or the sheer power of Orion, it's a step in the right direction. And man, they just go wild everywhere with the musical tangents. These are some LONG songs.

Oh, and I hate to contradict you, AeonicSlumber, but I actually do like the new Eluvietie. :ill: I didn't think there was actually that much difference between Slania and Spirit.

Ahhh! I forgot about For the Revolution. For some reason, it hasn't really grabbed me as heavily as the others, even The Black Waltz. The title track rips and I like Ready for Salvation - what are your favorites on there?

I'm also a fan of Architect of Lies but I need to listen to it some more. I REALLY loved The Hours That Remain so even if it is really really good it might be a letdown to me. (Though i've played Embrace the Nothing quite a few times on repeat, so that's a good start)

Also, I'm going to blab about some CDs I only discovered in 2008, even though some of em have been out for a little while: I am way down with Junior Senior's "Hey Hey My My Yo Yo." Just some catchy pop-hip-hoppish stuff even though you might feel a little ridiculous listening to it sandwiched between your Dimmu Borgir or whatever you may. I just also discovered Pain of Salvation's "Scarsick" which is full of angry progressive metal...which is kind of awesome. Some really bizarre but interesting & powerful songs on there. Also I kind of got hooked on a Pittsburgh rapper this year, Wiz Khalifa - his new mixtape "Prince of the City 2" makes me want to be a womanizer. Let's see...I listened to a TON of Circux Maximus' "Isolate" this year. Just a fabulous CD all around - VERY impressive progressivey power metal stuff. You would be hard pressed to improve on any of it.

Gotta disagree with you on Into Eternity and Opeth, Don. I'm a huge fan of IE (seen them 6 times now, each amazing), but this new album is one of the biggest disasters I've ever heard. Production is awful (people bash the kick sound on Scattering, but I'll take that kick sound over the horrible tones on this new one. Sounds like they recorded it in their garage and decided not to even mix), songs don't sound like songs, but rather pro tooled chunks of different songs to make an abomination that doesn't flow together at all. I did like the acoustic interludes. In fact, given the depressing concept of this album, I think it would have made more sense to record the whole thing acoustic. But just wow, did they spend their entire CD budget on touring? Why does this thing sound so awful productionwise? haha

As for Opeth, I think Watershed is their best since Blackwater Park. If anything, Ghost Reveries was less of a metal album and more of a rock album, and Watershed brought back the complexity that I thought was lost with Ghost Reveries.

anyways, just my 2 cents haha.

Oh, and I hate to contradict you, AeonicSlumber, but I actually do like the new Eluvietie. :ill: I didn't think there was actually that much difference between Slania and Spirit.

Contradict away. We all have different opinions hehe. But yeah I saw you liked it, I just hated it. I thought Slania had much more DT worship than the debut, which I liked alot more for some reason.

Scarsick was great but that one came out in 2007. :D

Will check out that Junior Senior CD. You should also check out that Vampire Weekend album (it's self titled) yourself. It's amazing.

Gotta disagree with you on Into Eternity and Opeth, Don. I'm a huge fan of IE (seen them 6 times now, each amazing), but this new album is one of the biggest disasters I've ever heard. Production is awful (people bash the kick sound on Scattering, but I'll take that kick sound over the horrible tones on this new one. Sounds like they recorded it in their garage and decided not to even mix), songs don't sound like songs, but rather pro tooled chunks of different songs to make an abomination that doesn't flow together at all. I did like the acoustic interludes. In fact, given the depressing concept of this album, I think it would have made more sense to record the whole thing acoustic. But just wow, did they spend their entire CD budget on touring? Why does this thing sound so awful productionwise? haha

As for Opeth, I think Watershed is their best since Blackwater Park. If anything, Ghost Reveries was less of a metal album and more of a rock album, and Watershed brought back the complexity that I thought was lost with Ghost Reveries.

anyways, just my 2 cents haha.

I hear ya on the IE. The production suckzorgz balls. Still like the majority of songs though. I can definitely see the whole "bits and pieces" thing though, I just like every fucking riff Tim Roth writes so it doesn't phase me as much as it probably should.

Yeah regarding the Opeth, I guess I just miss their deathly days. I appreciate Watershed's complexity, I just don't really care for the direction. However, I will say Porcelain heart is the least complex, biggest steaming shit pile of all time. Here's the structure: Riff 1, Riff 2, Riff 1, Riff 2, "Chorus", Sings about children part, meandering, Chorus (transitions are pathetic to say the least...on second thought, there really aren't any transitions. It's just..."How do I end this thing and lead back into my gay chant chorus....fuck it I'll just throw it at the end without any transition and people will think it's genius"). Sorry I have a burning hate for this song.

Gadlor, as for For the Revolution, my favs are For the Revolution, Dead Man's Shadow, and WINGS OF BLACKENING. Top 5 all time Kalmah tracks for me!

I love the first 3 Kalmah CDs. The last 2 were good but lacking I think.

I can agree with you about Porcelain Heart in that it does meander a bit (although, I think that one Axe drum fill is weird/crazy enough to keep me listening), but I did really enjoy that song. Burden is one of Åkerfeldt's most soulful performances in his career imo hehe. :D

Honestly, I think the additions of Axe and Åkesson were exactly what Opeth needed to mix things up and not sound stale, which was my big worry with Ghost Reveries and the future of Opeth.

Oh and another fucking great album : Textures- Silhouettes. How the hell could I have forgotten that one?!?!?!

There's a lot but highlights so far:

Bloodbath - Unblessing the Purity
Equilibrium - Sagas (never liked them before and was never a fan of Turis Fratyr but I absolutely LOVE this album)
Enslaved - Vertebrae

I checked out Vampire Weekend. Some cool stuff - there's been a lot of sort of...retro pop being released and I'm quite down with it. I just downloaded "Alphabeat - This Is Alphabeat" which I REALLY like. Kind of the same sort of stuff as Junior Senior with a tint of disco, haha. Also just got my hands on "Private - My Secret Lover" which sounds extremely like Michael Jackson.

I also went out at around 1 in the morning the other day, driving around, just to listen to Haggard's new cd "Tales of Ithiria." If you liked their previous stuff, you should like this - I think it's really good, even though the number of full songs is relatively small. One of the highlights is actually the cover song - "Hijo de la Luna" - and of course the title track is pretty boss. And I'll also go ahead and give Volbeat's 2008 release a thumbs up - "Back To Prom" and "Still Counting" are both really good.

Just listened to the new Bloodbath. Great! New Swallow the Sun is good so far too, but it's extremely epic and will require several hours of taking in.

Damn I just listened to the new Bloodbath. HOLY SHIT! They really nailed it with this release. Hades Rising and Earthrot = :worship:

I actually liked the new Metallica. Sure its no RTL or MOP, but it finally sounds like Metallica again. Minus Hetfield's wretched singing of course. The second half of "The Day That Never Comes" could be the best thing they've written since ...And Justice for All. At least they aren't dead. Hopefully they will make a few more records worth listening to.

I also got the new All that Remains. Never cared for their singer but enjoyed Oli's guitar playing. Haven't listened to it yet though.

New Skyfire to pwn face +1

Oh and Aeonic Slumber, what kind of music does Textures play? I've always heard about them but never had a listen.

They're kinda like Meshuggah but with some post rock moments too. I never really liked them before the new one which is excellent. Alot of my friends can't get past the vocals though.

So Gadlor, I didn't really like the Alphabeat CD but this Private CD is awesome!!!!! Wow, good call dude!