releases 2008!

The Redshift from Omnium Gatherum is quality. It gets better each time I listen to it. I think they have some sort of unique quality to them that sets them apart in someway.

Hey Aeonic - I'm listening to the new Andromeda cd right now. Have you heard it? What do you think of it?

Ok, the following bands put out really good albums that you need to check out:

Terminal Function

Virus (NOR) Neal, this one has your name all over it

Hammers Of Misfortune

I'm also waiting on the new Severed Savior, The Faceless, and one or two others I'm spacing on.

God DAMN do I want a body massage.

I actually have the shirt. And it's also engraved on the back of my IPod.

Releases that I have found recently that are kind of nifty:

Keldian - Journey of Souls. sci-fi metal!
Red Descending - Where Dreams Come To Die. The first distorted riff on "Slaughter Falls" rubs my nuts SO HARD. SOOOOOOO HARD.

Has anyone heard the new Thyrfing? I just got it yesterday. After a few listens so far, it will be a grower for sure. Their last album, Farsotstider took awhile and now I love it. Could be my second favourite album of theirs now.

K I finally checked out Jeff Loomis' solo disc. AWESOME. I love it. Especially "Shouting Fire at a Funeral and "Cashmere Shiv" seriously that lead in CS in the chorus is so perfect it makes me want to cry and shit at the same time.

Been listening to Made of Hate - Bullet In Your Head quite a bit. Now while it sounds (and their cover art looks like) like a bunch of poser hardcore/metalcore americans, it is actually a little band formerly known as Archeon, which put out a great debut. While BIYH rips off bodom, kalmah, skyfire etc pretty hard, it is good to hear some fast, neoclassical metal again in the vein of Something Wild. Nobody does it anymore and it's a bit of nostalgia. But yeah, it's an enjoyable listen. Very catchy.

Stigma - When Midnight Strikes! Kind of deathcore / melodic death all about vampires! Awesome!

Catamenia - VIII: The Time Unchanged. New vocalist, same old story. I like some songs on here but they need to evolve their sound a bit and move on. Sounds like Catamenia with a few singing passages :( Still decent, just nothing new.

Darkthrone - Dark Thrones and Black Flags: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Behemoth - Ezkaton EP: 1 new track called "Qadosh". Heavy, epic, etc. Very awesome. A remake of Chant for Eschaton entitled Chant for Exkaton 2000 e.v. which is the song with new production, some new drumming and riff patterns, and redone vocals. Like the original better but still pretty damn cool. Oh and there are some live tracks including an awesomely produced version of "From the Pagan Vastlands" which is just lollipops since I love that fucking song. Can't wait for their next cd.

That's it for new shit. I can rhyme anytime I want to rhyme.

Bands No One Gives a Fuck About v.4:

In Flames
The Haunted
Soilwork
**Darkthrone

** New Addition

Darkthone and Burzum are the only two oldschool bm bands that I actually care about. I actually heard the new Darkthrone was very good from a friend so we'll see about that statement, Donny. :D:D:D

^^AAAAHHH!!!! Beware. It's like F.O.A.D. without These Shores are Damned, which in my mind was the only redeeming song on the album! Seriously just listened to the chorus from "The Winds They Called the Dungeon Shaker" and hit yourself in the face, despite how you may feel about them (we were a romance once, but it is lost)!

Burzum is kinda.....its like, Det Som Engang Var (the song) and Dunkelheit are FUCKING AMAZING, but the rest dont really grab my attention much. but then i really like Drudkh which has an obvious Burzum influence...... so i dunno

i'll check out that Virus, sounds interesting! from MA - Czral himself describes it like this: "Virus is more of an eccentric rock band than a metal band. People have said it sounds like a mixture of Talking Heads and Voivod."

<3 <3 <3 Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense (my earliest musical memory is dancing/going berzerk as a 3-4 year old watching this live video at my Uncle's house)

The Faceless- Planetary Duality is pretty good for what it is. Not about to make my top 10 though. Also the new Severed Savior would have been better if there was more flamenco shit in there and less Suffocation worship. =/

OK guys. It's been a while and 2008 is coming to a close. Thanks to AeonicSlumber for his top 2008 list, but I can't contribute yet since 2008 is far from over (pretty much over). I have been listening intently to everyone's praises thus far, though drunken Thanksgivings can only go so far. I must say I have 3 things to say:

1) Edguy - Tinnitus Sanctus: What the fuck!? I love power metal and I love Edguy. I tried to love this CD, though I can only stomach a few songs. "The Pride of Creation", "Dragonfly", and "Speedhoven" are the only tracks that I can actually listen to and give credit to Tobias Sammet for creating. It's like everything that sucked about the new Avantasia and Edguy's Rocket Ride combined into one disappointment-fest. I am not impressed. Still some charming moments on TS, but for the most part, I wish this whole "rock star" attitude dies as soon as possible and he gets back to writing decent power metal.

2) Sympathy - AnagogicTyranny. HELL YEAH. I don't know if anyone here is a Sympathy fan, but AT is perfect. Necrophagist with decent riffing and epic endings. Check it out.

3) In Mourning - Shrouded Divine. JESUS. Excellent. Enough said. Check it.

2008 is coming to an end. Let's compile some 08 end lists in a few weeks. There are still a few gems yet to be explored.

Light This City - Stormchaser.

I'm digging this a lot. "Wake Me At Sunset" especially. This isn't full of supertechnical guitar work or anything but it's just a pretty genuine metal album. A lot of harmonics on guitar like you'd find in an early In Flames release.

Plus, Laura Nichol is sex on wheels.

Not a fan of Light This City, nor Sylosis. Sry guis.

BTW keep your eyes peeled on Thursday for some year-end-lists from a certain special band.

Top ten of 2k8, here we go. I did this based a little bit on how many times I've played the song in iTunes, just so there's some objectivity between the close calls.

10. Haggard - Tales of Ithiria
9. Eluveitie - Slania
8. Keldian - Journey of Souls
7. In Mourning - The Shrouded Divine
6. Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
5. Textures - Silhouettes
4. Light This City - Stormchaser
3. Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls
2. Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe
1. Metallica - Death Magnetic

I reserve the right to change my mind based on new shit at any time, but this seems to be pretty solid. 'New shit' implies either new albums or albums that have not yet graced my ears, which is entirely possible.

Hmm.... I don't think I've listened to 10 albums from 2008 yet. Let's see... In no particular order.

- Equilibrium - Sagas
- Origin - Antithesis
- UpcDownCLeftCRightCABC+Start - Embers
- Bonded by Blood - Feed the Beast
- Exmortus - In Hatred's Flame
- Hibria - The Skull Collectors (has leaked! Will be buying anyway)
- Muga - There is Nothing External Exists
- Russian Circles - Station
- Cynic - Traced in Air
- dev/null - Necrobestial Sadobreaks

And, well.... there's my top ten in no order, I guess. But I think that's all or almost all of the ones I've listened to anyway. So while it could be described as my "top ten" it could also just as easily be called my "regular ten."

Only other ones I've heard that I can think of are the new Metal Church, which I didn't think was as good as everyone else is saying it is (maybe it'll grow on me?) and Sigh's Venom tribute, which was good for what it was, but not something I want to listen to more than once.

Also, the Smash Bros. Brawl soundtrack was awesome, if that counts.

[edit] P.S. I still have not listened to that Aesop Rock album, but have intended to continuously since you mentioned it. I think I was going to download it, and then later thought I had downloaded it, and then that process kept repeating. Like, I just went to play it, and then discovered it wasn't there. So I'll get on that as soon as I go home and can download again (it's slow to the point of not being worth it at school).

OK. Jesus. Top 10 of 2008 time. I'm going to try to do these in order too, if that is possible. 2008 was a phenomenal year for metal IMHO, and hopefully 09 will bless us with the same top notch mastery. Here goes:

1) Arsis - We Are the Nightmare: I don't understand how everyone on the planet doesn't think this is the most brilliant musicianship ever. Good god I spent countless nights smoking weed trying to comprehend James Malone's wicked mastery of taking riffs too complicated for the planet earth and melding them into flawless production and sweeping epicness. 10/10. 'Nuff said.

2) Made of Hate - Bullet In Your Head: Formerly known as Archeon, Made of Hate may not have the most sophisticated lyrics or artwork, but these bastards make music that Children of Bodom should have kept on making after Follow the Reaper. Melodic, Neoclassical, Tastefull, and downright enjoyable. Brilliant.

3) Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God: Even if it's not Versus the World, Amon Amarth are the most consistent band in existence (at least in my book). I wonder if the band members wake up each morning and think to themselves, "Fuck yeah I'm in Amon Amarth. Time to play the same simple riff 30 times over and have it be progressively more badass and epic". One of a kind. Addition of violins, black metal elements, and solid melodies all lend to expand their sound and make me want to "get gay" with them.

4) Mercenary - Architect of Lies: Mercenary keeps getting better and better. Their singers are absolutely stunning, and this CD brought a lot more heaviness that was lacking on the stellar "The Hours that Remain". Can't wait to hear their next disc as this one had me jerking it till kingdom cum. (that was very dirty. sry guyz lulz)

5) Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery: I could just cite "At the Behest of their Death", "Earthrot", and "Hades Rising", tell you to listen to them, and stop typing. But I won't. Mikael on teh death vox hits it super heavy. The riffs are more pronounced and memorable, and the production is top notch. Should be a "if you're going to write death metal in 2009 try to do it like this" bible.

6) Archons - The Consequences of Silence: YES. Melodic Death Metal is kind of a dying breed. I think along with Arsis, Made of Hate, and Zonaria, these guys are something special. Featuring like 10 - 15 riffs per song, Archons mixes it up very well. Their riffs themselves are all top notch and pushing a direction which breathes new life into the dead and gone metalcore-esque gothenberg borefest. Very interesting to see how they evolve.

7) Aborted - Strychnine.213: I've always loved Aborted. They have been dear to my heart ever since I heard "The Archaic Abattoir". This CD marks a distinctive departure in their sound, adding a healthy dose of melody and catchiness not found in their grind/death outings of old. But fuck they do it with style. Top notch vocals and super heavy riffs combined with superb songwriting make this the best abortion to date.

8) Eluveitie - Slania: Saving folk metal one crazy ass vocalist at a time, Eluveitie's new CD is pretty damn good. Saw them at Paganfest and was scared out of my mind by the seemingly acid-induced front man. This CD features a diverse range of instruments and some gothenberg esque metal and blends them perfectly. It's going to be hard to top since it seems they've perfected their formula with this one. Get it if you already don't have it.

9) Gojira - The Way of All Flesh: As if "From Mars to Sirius" wasn't fucking awesome enough, Gojira is back with their newest. FUCK ME RUNNING A MARATHON this CD rapes. Just listen to "Oroborous" and tell me that's not the best fucking metal track you've heard in the past few years. High praise. Even higher expectations. They are becoming quite consistent.

10) Sympathy - Anagogic Tyranny: Some world class technical death metal with a full helping of beautiful melodies and neoclassical elements. Apparantly Sympathy can't end a song until they've grabbed you by the balls and shoved the most epic melody of all time straight down your helpless throat. Absolutely amazing album.

Notable: HONORABLE MENTIONS
- Kalmah - For the Revolution
- Equilibrium - Sagas
- Belphegor - Bondage Goat Zombie
- Catamenia - VIII: The Time Unchained
- Moonspell - Night Eternal

Notable: MOST SURPRISING
- Trivium - Shogun: I knew Matt Heafy was good, but jesus he really let's it all out on this disc. I used to cringe every time he opened his mouth, but the diverse vocal styles he uses along with the jaw dropping playing led me to enjoy this disc 5000x more than I thought I would. Nice job Matt. All you have to do now is stop being such a bitch on stage.

Notable: BIGGEST LETDOWN
- In Flames - A Sense of Purpose: I could rant for hours, but I can sum it up in 3 words: WHAT THE FUCK

Notable: BIGGEST LETDOWN FOR A GOOD BAND
- Norther - N: Seriously. Always enjoyed Norther, even though I sensed their homoeroticism beginning with "Solution 7". Didn't ever think they would drop the ball as hard as they did. Talk about a steaming pile of shit! When your best track is a tie between tracks entitled "We Rock" and "Self-Righteous Fuck", you know you need to rethink the direction your taking. :loco:

Notable: BIGGEST COMEBACK
- Moonspell - Night Eternal: Bring back the heaviness! Moonspell is back and this time they're not equipped with faggoty gothic metal. This time they're here to rape you hard. Love the throwback to the old death metal days, and their songs are polished, heavy, intricate, and enjoyable. SO GLAD they decided to get all deathy in their old age.

OK. That took a while. Hopefully that was somewhat legitimate. Would love to see a few more Top 10s if you got em. Always looking to investigate some undiscovered gems.

^all i heard out of those was GOJIRA (probably my #1) haha. also, im not sure what you were expecting from in flames, being that the 90s are well over.