Single vs Dual rectifier

Jackal_Strain

Sigurd Løberg
Feb 16, 2006
Trondheim, Norway
The second guitar player in my band is getting a new amp. He confess that he knows nothing about tone(he's a brilliant player) so he asked me what kind of amp he should get.
A mesa I said! It will team up with my 5150 just fine I told him. The problem is that Mesa Boogie is real expensive here in Norway. Allmost twice as expensive as a 5150. I told him to buy a dual rectifier, preferably a two channel version, but he's really suspicious when it comes to buying used.
The only rectifiers we get here are the three channel versions.

So now that he's decided on a rectifier, he wonders if it's worth it to buy a single rectifier or save up for a dual? I know that dual rectifiers kicks mucho ass, but I'd like some opinions on single rectifers since I trust you guys on this board way more than most others.

Sigurd.

I personally thought my Single sounded better than any Dual I've ever played, which includes the 2ch. ones.

The Rackmount Dualie is the only one I'd assume to sound a bit better, but the Single is a damned beast!

My 3-ch Dual has always sounded better to me than any Triple, Single, or other Dual Rectos (2-ch)...dunno why. I bought mine used, though it was barely used, it seems as though somebody got it home from the store, and didn't like it, so they put it up on eBay immediately. Different cases for each head on eBay though...I guess I got lucky in a way.

However, all of my other amps have been bought on eBay except for my PowerBall which I bought new from RockSolidAmps.com. The used amps include: Marshall JCM2000 TSL, Marshall JCM800 2203, Marshall JTM45, Mesa Mark IV combo, Peavey 5150 combo, Peavey 5150 head, ADA MP-1 preamp, as well as both of my Marshall cabinets (both 1960's, one with v30's other with T75's) were bought used...Never had a single problem with getting anything used. With amps and stuff the thing is, as long as it works, you're ok. Amps are meant to be taken on the road, etc....so some dude using it for a year in his garage doesn't exactly put the amp to the test, if you know what I mean.

Good choice btw in the Mesa, in my experience, a Rectifier and a 5150 seem to be literally designed to compliment each other so naturally. Never had a situation where they didn't work well together- ever.

~e.a

It was you actually 006... oops, I mean Elephan Audio that turned me on to the combination of mesa and 5150;)
I've told him that buying used is the way to go, but he's very anal about that.

So you recommen the single version DSS3? I suppose 50watts will be enoigh in a live situation as well as in a rehersal room?

Oh sweet Jesus dude, the Single Recto is way louder than my 5150 ever was!

You can get them so cheap used, it's not even funny. Also, the Rectoverb's go cheaper than the Recto's for some reason - and I prefer the way they look.

I tried a XXX, but it didn't do it for me. I never haf much time with it though, so maybe it would sound better with time.
I guess single rectifier is the way to go for my friend.
This could be great! Rectifier and 5150 in the same band. Can't wait!

Seriously man, 50 watts of all tube power is more than enough to play any venue. As long as the amp is mic'ed into a PA you're good to go. If the venues don't have a PA, I would recommend going for the Dual Recto just to get that extra power to push enough air to cut through. But that's only if the venue doesn't have a PA.

I have in posession right now a Dual Rectifier Trem-O-Verb combo and it's identical in sound to my Dual Recto head, only this has reverb and tremolo built-in and it's a combo. Now...it does have Celestion V30's, however the cab is like open or 3/4 back (can't remember at the mo') and it's not too good for heavier stuff with that open back like that. However, running it into my Mesa oversized 4x12, its identical to the Dual Recto head in every aspect. I'm not sure if they make the Trem-O-Verb in a head form (I'm not much up to snuff on Mesa's line...sue me), but if they do, you should look into getting one of those. They are in fact cheaper like Jeff says, and they don't look wierd or anything, heh.

As far as new vs. used...like I said, as long as the seller says it works, you're fine. Because if you get it and it doesn't work, then you can do one of two things, A) start a lawsuit against the seller for false advertising and other charges, and B) *if it's not the seller's fault* the shipping company will have to foot the bill on repair/replacement. So really you're fine. It's not a big deal. Like I said, I've bought so many amp heads on eBay (and not random cheap crap either), like I said a Marshall JCM2000 TSL, JCM800 2203, Peavey 5150 and 5150 combo, Marshall JTM45, and my Mesa Mark IV all bought on eBay. Do you think I would keep buying on eBay if anything bad/wrong happened with any of these amps?

~e.a

Hey, don't preach to the converted man! I bought my 5150 used;)
I'll try to knock som sense into him!

I just saw a real good offer for a triple rectifier. Now earlier I was a little concerned about the single rectifier not being loud enough. I've heard some people say that the triple is too loud. lol
Any opinions on that one?

The problem with a triple rectifier is that it is too powerful. A tubeamp sounds best cranked (to a certain amount), so that the powertubes really work. You can not do that with a triple rectifier - you'ee end up dead of deaf before you can enjoy the full sound of a triple rectifier. I have a 2ch rectifier from 96 - a godly piece of eqipment which sounds better than any 3-ch I've heard....

Hey man no bullshit i have A/B the 3 channel Dual and Triple recto's to death. i bought the Triple Recto and i got lets just say a real good deal on the Dual 3 channel, and im here to tell you that there is not a huge tone differance at all the only thing that differs is the extra wattage from the Triple for live gigs! and if you want to hear for yourself i could always post some clip's, but trust me tonaly they are almost identical.

Thanks Musickey! I trust you:)
right now it seems we can get a used triple rectifier for 5000 norwegain kroner(1 $ is 6.5 norwegian kroner) less than a new dual. And since my friend is a diehard testament fan he got a boner when he saw this offer.
He will of course have to buy a new cab as well.

Single - if the venue has a PA.
Dual - if the venue does or doesn't have a PA.
Triple - what PA? Just turn it to 3.

:lol:

~e.a

EA, apparently you don't know the difference in volume between wattage...

Every time you double the wattage of an amp, you get a 3db boost. That's not a lot, at all. The difference between the Single and the Dual is, again, only 3db. I've played plenty of gigs with one without it being run through the PA, it worked fine. I had the master on about 4, too, and it tops out at about 7-8. The biggest difference between the wattages is when you get powertube breakup, and in the Rectifiers, that's almost non-existant, as it's designed to get it's gain from the preamp, and for the poweramp to be loud, fat, and clean.

You seriously do not need a PA unless you're playing stadiums, arena's, or outdoor gigs.

...The dual is much louder than a single. I've been in that situation many times. Much louder. And yes, I do understand the difference. I have for many years now, thanks.

~e.a

the difference with having 50 extra watts is headroom, with metal tones you want the distortion comming from the preamp. poweramp distortion makes it sound flubby, not tight and articulate sounding. make sure you turn off the rectifiers and switch to diodes also (for metal)

Atheist said:
Too much power swhouldn't be a problem - power attenuators (or what's it called) aren't expensive.

Or you can remove some (at least from double rectifier i don't know if this trick works with the triple version) tubes and have a 50W amp.

Mutant said:
Or you can remove some (at least from double rectifier i don't know if this trick works with the triple version) tubes and have a 50W amp.
That should work for most amps with an even amount of power amp tubes. Remember that it changes the amps ohm amounts, for example removing two tubes from a four-tube amp, the 16 ohm is now 8 ohm.