Your favorit Dio song ?

I remember that one. Back in Vancouver circa 2000, a Sam the Record Man employee asked if I wanted the 2cd version instead. But that wold have entailed a special order. So, I declined.

Doro did a nifty cover of Egypt if I recall.

some good stuff here...reminding me of alot of dio i havent listened to in a while!! just listened to dont talk to strangers first time this year and cant stop now...but also came across a really cool BG cover of it.

check it out if u want
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ_fyLf82kI

The song titles mentioned on here are overwhelming. What a fantastic body of work Dio has (but you already knew that). He should be praised and his music celebrated by hard rock and metal fans from here to the end of time. He is to metal what Elivs was to early rock 'n' roll and what Michael Jackson was to pop music. Dio however lived more of exemplary life. Ironic isn’t it that a metal musician was the better human being?
\,,/

Ironic isn’t it that a metal musician was the better human being?

Not really. It's quite similar to the "unexpected" inverse that occurs with atheists vs. the religious in terms of jail sentences (You'd think those more religious would be the "exemplary citizens", but the numbers favor the non-religious; note: I am not equating metal with atheism, nor do I want this discussion to go further on this forum).

My dad met Dio back in the day and always says what a gentleman the guy was. And judging from what I've seen and read of his interviews, he seemed like a really cool and down to earth guy.

Not really. It's quite similar to the "unexpected" inverse that occurs with atheists vs. the religious in terms of jail sentences (You'd think those more religious would be the "exemplary citizens", but the numbers favor the non-religious; note: I am not equating metal with atheism, nor do I want this discussion to go further on this forum).

Leaving religion or religious beliefs out of the equation, I was referring to the stereo type that metal musicians are degenrates with poor value systems. You took it in a completely different direction.

The song titles mentioned on here are overwhelming. What a fantastic body of work Dio has (but you already knew that). He should be praised and his music celebrated by hard rock and metal fans from here to the end of time. He is to metal what Elivs was to early rock 'n' roll and what Michael Jackson was to pop music. Dio however lived more of exemplary life. Ironic isn’t it that a metal musician was the better human being?
,,/

True, there's this douch called Rodney Seale who wrote this book 'bout how bad and satanistic rock music is, he had a field day with Dio, especially the Holy Diver cover, carrying on and on about a priest in chains.
He also mentioned that if you turn his name upside down (in the Dio font) it actually sais "Devil", which it does if you really try hard enough.Yet if you reflect on his life and caracter he was alot better than most artists - eat that Rodney!

How about a cover that that actually came up better, not that it needed too but guess what... it did... wonder why ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dio: Hungry For Heaven / Last In Line
Black Sabbath: Heaven & Hell / Children Of The Sea
Rainbow: Man On The SIlver Mountain / Kill The King
Elf: Carolina County Ball / Rocking Chair RnR

Been on a Dio mission past few days. ALso enjoying Elf, belatedly \m/

I also prefer the Dio version of Dream On instead of the original. Which is rare, cause usually, the real one is always the best. But Ronnie's voice took this song to a new level IMO.

Was always a great song, especially if your real oldschool, but yes between Dios voice and Yngwie shredding it up it brought new life.

For me, it's easy. Children of the Sea is what pulled me into heavy metal when I was 15. Previously I was into bands like REO Speedwagon, Eagles, and Styx (radio stuff). In 1980 some of my Dungeons and Dragons buddies made me a mixed tape of songs from the newest albums by Blue Oyster Cult, Judas Priest and Black Sabbath...I was changed.

BOC and Priest came out with Cultosaurus Erectus and British Steel respectively, which are two of my fave albums of all time. But Heaven and Hell was the shit that really pulled me in. Children of the Sea in particular. The vocal melodies charmed me, which happened a lot when RJD sang, regardless of which band he was in.

last in line is my favorite out of all of his stuff, i just bought the album on vinyl the other day, was gonna buy dream evil too but decided to get killers and stained class instead