Albums KIND OF kicking your ass but...

Addo_Of_Nex

Fuck of Death
Nov 9, 2007
Peoria, Illinois
are flawed in unforgivable, frustrating ways. Basically, discuss any albums you're responding positively to but remain ambivalent toward.

941.jpg

If the whole thing was as musically and conceptually consistent as the first two tracks, this would be exemplary. However, it starts to fucking meander and feel like a collection of tracks ranging from cool to mediocre with some weirdo Sumerian/Lovecraftian bullshit tacked on. Also, "Invocation of the Continual One" would be one of the best death metal songs ever if it was about 6 minutes shorter. It's pretty clear that it was written in 1984.

2717.jpg

Runemagick's The Supreme Force of Eternity. I haven't heard of Runemagick before, so i gave this album a try, and it's kind of kicking my ass, not sure though. I should give it a few more listens.

Morbid Angel - Forumulas Fatal to the Flesh

If the whole thing was as musically and conceptually consistent as the first two tracks, this would be exemplary. However, it starts to fucking meander and feel like a collection of tracks ranging from cool to mediocre with some weirdo Sumerian/Lovecraftian bullshit tacked on. Also, "Invocation of the Continual One" would be one of the best death metal songs ever if it was about 6 minutes shorter. It's pretty clear that it was written in 1984.

This is one of those albums for me as well. I really enjoy the actual death metal songs but this album suffers from to much filler in regards to ambient style tracks. This is not something I generally dislike but when 5 (?) out of 14 tracks are kind of unnecessary and doest make the album flow at all (the contrary is more accurate) you know it was a bad descicion to include all of them.

Most of these tracks are not only quite bad in and of themselves but are also positioned badly in relation to eachother and the other songs on the album.

I felt that way for a while, but I've come to feel like almost every track on BatS is a logical supplement to the track that precedes it (ESPECIALLY the first side which culminates in "Blessed are the Sick/Leading the Rats"). "Fall from Grace" sets the stage for the character/entity that will dominate the rest of the album while its chaotic accumulation of power is documented in "Brainstorm". "Rebel Lands" does seem a bit out of place conceptually, but it's still fucking awesome and overlooked.

"Doomsday Celebration", despite sounding saccharine and wimpy on the surface, is absolutely chilling when understood as an essential precursor to the next two tracks where the aforementioned entity declares a war on the silly dogmatic religious morality that all metal bands think is so gay ("Lord of light...I will swarm against you now" in "Day of Suffering" and "So many years, my seed condemned...now free to roam" in "Blessed are the Sick" etc).

I don't really understand the placement of the next few re-recorded tracks, but they're brilliant in their own regard and "Abominations" suits the apocalyptic nature of the tail end of the record. However, I love the choice to precede and append the colossal "The Ancient Ones" with two instrumental tracks that would be disposable if placed anywhere else ("In Remembrance" is pretty much laughable on its own but becomes beautiful after one finishes hearing "The Ancient Ones").

Formulas... really only has that holistic feel with "Heaving Earth" and "Prayer of Hatred" for me. For that reason I tend to listen to it in the car a lot but skip around after listening to that pair of tracks a couple of times.

I gave it a few more listens, and i'm actually liking it. Good album. I should check out their other albums too.

Yeah, do it. Try Enter the Realm of Death and Resurrection in Blood for their best old school DM along with the first one (which you already have).

If you decide to check their doomier albums, try Darkness Death Doom, it's fucking great.

Yeah, do it. Try Enter the Realm of Death and Resurrection in Blood for their best old school DM along with the first one (which you already have).

If you decide to check their doomier albums, try Darkness Death Doom, it's fucking great.

Thanks. I'll sure check out the other albums you mentioned.

As I mentioned in controversial opinions before I remembered this thread was here:

143.jpg

145249.jpg

180179.jpg

37258.jpg

I feel each of these could be 10-20 minutes shorter and they'd be brilliant.

Viva Emptiness is a good album, but it's my least favorite Katatonia especially as a whole album. I do not see myself listening it much because of some songs and just the way it is organised.

Katatonia+-+Viva+Emptiness+(2003).jpg

I can agree in the case of Deathevokation and Hail, but one of Advent Parallax's greatest strengths is the uniqueness of each song and their constituent parts. I suppose the criticism is fairly applicable to their previous two, but even that would be verging on silly.

115434.jpg

For me, I just found out about them today and I am liking them....need a few more listens