Drum Triggering

Status
Not open for further replies.
I listened to Come Clarity today . . . it's alright. I don't really get what there is to "get," the music isn't that deep or complex. Intricate, but not complex. I like it, kind of a generic sound--I realize they were very original when they first hit the scene (or so I've read), but for the time this CD was released, there isn't really anything innovative going on. I heard Take this Life and fell in love with it, but the other songs don't seem to measure up.

I will give it more listens.

Come Clarity is an excellent album but takes a number of listens to really get. Most people here don't like it. Personally I would have started with The Jester Race, though, as it's their best.

No.

To be more on topic, my only opinion is that you shouldn't assume a drummer is using triggers just because the double bass is fast. if you want to talk shit about someone faking skill, get facts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I do like that song more than most of what I heard on Come Clarity. Not to crazy about the vocals, but it seems they got a session vocalist for the Subterranean EP (at least, according Wikipedia). I like the vocals a lot on Come Clarity, though, nice mix of clean and screaming.

Excuse my slight ignorance on triggers; for some reason I assumed keeping constant sound per hit = keeping in time better. It does create the illusion some of the time but yeah. Sorry.

On a somewhat related note, it's funny to me how much people care about double bass speed and blastbeat speed. Either is just a sped up version of the first drum lesson anyone ever gets. There's nothing terribly special about alternating right and left strokes; it's an incredibly basic move. It's a feat of athleticism more than musicianship.

On a somewhat related note, it's funny to me how much people care about double bass speed and blastbeat speed. Either is just a sped up version of the first drum lesson anyone ever gets. There's nothing terribly special about alternating right and left strokes; it's an incredibly basic move. It's a feat of athleticism more than musicianship.

Metal has always had that aspect though. It's funny that it still remains, considering the quickest and most athletic feats on most instruments had been accomplished by about 94. It was great being into metal from the mid eighties and hearing the progression with each new album though.

I said TJR because while Subterranean is better, it is also not actually an album. It's what we call an EP.

Also, the correct song to post was Stand Ablaze; if you had posted that it would have made up for your confusion about what the word "album" meant. Also, an argument could be made that there's just as much quality on TJR. I mean...

Artifacts of the Black Rain
Lord Hypnos
Dead Eternity
The Jester Race
December Flower

versus

Stand Ablaze
Everdying
Biosphere
Subterranean
Dead Eternity (slightly worse version)

But whatever.

I said TJR because while Subterranean is better, it is also not actually an album. It's what we call an EP.

Also, the correct song to post was Stand Ablaze; if you had posted that it would have made up for your confusion about what the word "album" meant. Also, an argument could be made that there's just as much quality on TJR. I mean...

Artifacts of the Black Rain
Lord Hypnos
Dead Eternity
The Jester Race
December Flower

versus

Stand Ablaze
Everdying
Biosphere
Subterranean
Dead Eternity (slightly worse version)

But whatever.

Fine Lunar Strain then :p

That statement was flawed for the following reasons:
1. There's no flame war.
2. No one's arguing about Come Clarity, Chris is just having one of those senior moments where he thinks someone asked his opinion about something different than the topic at hand.
3. Welcome to the forum, this is more or less how it goes.

Haha, I think I'll like this forum :lol:

In case nobody already said it, you guys in the beginning of the thread are idiots. Drum triggering in no way speeds up the bass drum. It picks up the hit and turns it into an electronic sound. That is the same if used with any drum, but it sounds like crap on drums other than the bass drum so they don't do it and they don't need to. The reason they use triggers is that when you use a normal bass drum that fast untriggered, it sounds like crap because it lacks separation due to the natural resonance duration of the drum. The only problem I have is that programmed double bass would sound the same, so people could cheat, but these bands play live and the drummers do clinics and stuff. lots of ppl on here don't know anything. and I'm not even a drummer. People just think triggers are what make people fast because fast people use them

sorry i actually bothered to read the thread now. yeah its settled now. That misconception pisses me off so badly though because it completely undermines the hard-earned skill of metal musicians. Yeah come clarity is okay. I do like Take This Life, but they are too alt-rock mainstreamy. I like At The Gates' album Slaughter of the Soul for this type of music. much less similar but also 'melodic death metal' i guess is Wintersun, an amazing band

I just don't like when it's extremely obvious (a la Decapitated, Kataklysm, etc.). I could care less if I can't tell if the drums are triggered or not.

In case nobody already said it, you guys in the beginning of the thread are idiots. Drum triggering in no way speeds up the bass drum. It picks up the hit and turns it into an electronic sound. That is the same if used with any drum, but it sounds like crap on drums other than the bass drum so they don't do it and they don't need to. The reason they use triggers is that when you use a normal bass drum that fast untriggered, it sounds like crap because it lacks separation due to the natural resonance duration of the drum. The only problem I have is that programmed double bass would sound the same, so people could cheat, but these bands play live and the drummers do clinics and stuff. lots of ppl on here don't know anything. and I'm not even a drummer. People just think triggers are what make people fast because fast people use them

I'm not bashing triggers when I say this but you can get pretty much the same results without triggers by using click pads on your kicks.

triggers are sensors that go on drum heads, usually bass drum heads. theyre used when you have a high quality fast pedal, like an Axis pedal or Trick pedal, because these pedals arent as powerfull as slower pedals. makes sense? they take away power and add speed. nothing wrong with that. but the problem is, the lack of power makes it difficult to hear/get a good sound out of the bass drum. so you buy a trigger and a brain. when the trigger is on the drum, it is able to sense when the drum is hit, and when it feels that the drum is hit, it sends a signal to that brain, which is normally hooked to an amplifier, saying that its been hit, and the brain amplifies the hit and normalizes it.

sort of proof;

Last edited by a moderator:
That guy just generally has a horrible bass sound.
Anyhow.
WE'VE ESTABLISHED WHAT TRIGGERS ARE.
THANK YOU FOR NOT POSTING.

Status
Not open for further replies.