Must Have Plugins

Do you really use it on everything? I have been using it in between a sim and an impulse lately, but I can't make it work on vocals. Maybe I just don't know how to use it right. lol

Not LITERALLY everything:lol:. It's a no no for the master bus I've found, but it should definitely work on most mix applications (guitars, vocals, bass, drums)

???
URS strip pro is cheaper than SSL bundle isn't it?

I have both but I haven't touched the URS strip in probably almost 2 years. I like the SSL better. Maybe it's because I like getting a sound fast and to me the URS just has too many menus and buttons and knobs.

Virsyn VTape.

It can give you a really subtle tape effect.
Or you can sound like a '92 kvlt black metal bootleg casette if you want to.

Dont know if it really sounds like tape or not but I like what it does :)

URS strip pro kicks SSL plugins in the ass IMO.

I beg to differ.

Anyway, I tend to avoid tape plug-ins as much as possible. None of them really sound like tape, so all they can really offer is a pleasant degree of saturation that hopefully doesn't lo-fi your mix too much. I use the Nebula SSL programs now to do most of my smoothing, and tape sims usually only make it onto strings and guitars. In which case it's PSP Mix Saturator 2 on the 'Tape 3' setting.

???
URS strip pro is cheaper than SSL bundle isn't it?

Not when I compared, even now they're almost the same but urs gives you only 2 plugs instead of the bundle from waves. Anyway, way better if its cheaper than waves.

@Ermz. Please, feel free to differ hahah. I'd really like to try Nebula ones but the waves ones have not so many options to play, what limit the possibilities.

With the URS I can choose between maaany different brands and models and combine them till the point that I can have in only one plugin, 4 independent models of eq (eg. 1 band Neve, another mids band from ssl, etc), input stage modes (tubes, modellings....), compressors (ssl, neve, pultec...), separated LP, HP.

The only thing it hasn't is a gate. but I don't really need it altough waves ssl one is very good.

Plus you can push the input and you got no distorsion, but very realistic curve eq.

CPU is happy.

Not to talk about the sound. I had a huge deception when I tweaked the CLA's ones and then put the URS. Enormous difference to me.

And you got free updates, not like jewaves, errr, waves, sorry!!!!!!!!

Not sure what you mean about deception. I recently compared the Waves CLA 1176s to some real clones of those particular revisions and the plug-ins did very well against them.

I never liked the URS because it's a jack of all trades, master of none plug-in. I don't need all of those options if none of them are authentic. I'd rather the developer be like Softube and take months tweaking, and fine tuning the plug-in to sound almost exactly like the real thing on a component level. In the first revision of the URS, they didn't even offer any harmonic distortion on the input stages. What's the point if even they didn't take it seriously?

I have a few i cant live without..

Waves SSL bundle favorite EQ
Waves API 2500 on Master
Waves C4 Tend to use it on guitars and vox
Waves CLA Big fan of 1176, use it on vocals,drums etc

Yeah Ermz i agree with you totally SSL vs URs

Anyone digging the UA plugins? I love the LA2A and 1176, and the Pultec pro. I'm still learning with them, but they do add a nice sound..

Your experience, Ermz, is much wider than mine so I gotta trust you altough I still hadn't any luck with waves SSL (and I've recorded through real SSL channel and, to me, nothing compared, compadre. I'll dig more, anyway).

btw, URS 2nd edition is much different from the 1st.

Your experience, Ermz, is much wider than mine so I gotta trust you altough I still hadn't any luck with waves SSL (and I've recorded through real SSL channel and, to me, nothing compared, compadre. I'll dig more, anyway).

btw, URS 2nd edition is much different from the 1st.

If you use Waves SSL eq then your source must sound good. It isnt a "fix eq".
It is great for guitars, snare whatever. Just get the recorded source to sound good and you will see :)

It has not become a standard without being good

Admittedly I'm still struggling to find a decent 'color EQ' in the box, for broad shaping. I was hoping the Softube Trident A Range would be that, but it only works on select sources like guitars or synths. The Waves SSL EQ is a bit too abrasive and forward to use for all duties. Kinda hanging on Nebula to get packaged into smaller EQ-sized chunks, and for CPU power to catch up. Currently nothing ITB seems to match it for EQ.

@ Ermz

I tested the Softube trident A-range. And i totally agree with you Ermz. On distorted guitar it was super sweet. Really dig the mids and the highs.

Never tried Nebula. What is your opinion on that??

Drumagog
Waves SSL bundle
Waves Api bundle
Waves v-bundle (neve emulations)
waves H-delay (the most wonderful delay I own)
Waves R-Vox
Waves R-DeEsser
Podfarm (only for bass)

thats about it

The Logic channel eq is ok for cutting some frequencies...

oooh..
Mcdsp Ac2 on drums. at 15 ips
MhLabs - Channelstrip on drums and backing vocals
ua1176 on room mics, lead vocals, bass and sometimes snare.
uad la2a on guitars and bvs, (SO want waves CLA!)
ac1 on mix bus.
Sonnox eq on guitars and bass
Uad Neve 1073 on vocals and guitars.

Tlspace for vocal verb and drum room.
Dverb for cheesy plate.
Massey TD5 for delay

that is pretty often what happens.....
Massey dtm - aptrigga/kontakt for drum triggering.