2004 wrap up on Black/Pagan Metal (and its ilk)

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Strict categorization aside, this is what I've heard from '04:

Leviathan
Leviathan/Crebain Split
Deathspell Omega
Bergthron
Drudkh
Hate Forest
Blut Aus Nord
Krieg

I listened to Deathspell Omega and Leviathan again last night, and I have to say, they've lost some of that initial impact....maybe it was just an off-night. I do honestly think that the split with Crebain has better material.

Either way, leading contenders are Drudkh and Hate Forest.

I'd like to hear new Graveland and Enslaved too at some point, but is there anything else really OBVIOUSLY GOOD that I've yet to hear?

New Enslaved RULES , as much as Monumension and Below The Lights maybe even more . Killer trilogy !

JayKeeley said:
I'd like to hear new Graveland and Enslaved too at some point, but is there anything else really OBVIOUSLY GOOD that I've yet to hear?
Should have both available on my FTP server by tonight. I'll send you your credentials when it's ready.

Zod

Gah, that release date debate is infuriating. That means Blut Aus Nord make neither year end lists, since we never heard it in '03 but it's not '04.

It probably makes sense to give US residents different rules...

Anyway, I forgot the new Darkthrone!!!

I hate how most of my 2004 releases say copyright 2003 on the back. I'm confused but lack the ability to care so if Blut Aus Nord makes my year end list, suck it up. :p

Drudkh and Hate Forest are great from this year, I heard Deathspell Omega once and wasn't impressed, but I'll give it more time later. Maybe when the temp. gets below 75 F during the day again.

LOITS is the name of the band? I thought you were being clever with some tr00 acronym. :loco:

Shall download later when not at work, but what the hell is "National Romantic Extreme Metal"?? Please describe briefly (band comparisons and so forth)...merci.

JayKeeley said:
I don't think I did....what label please?
I believe mine came to me via Candlelight . . . who distributed Damnation for Threeman Records. So, the label would be Threeman Records. I got it with Red Harvest and Hecate Enthroned.

Nick, more than half of that Woods of Ypres album doesn't belong in this thread :p And even the metal parts have a lot of non-black/pagan influence. It's a good cd though, I never listen to it anymore.

Gotta plug a couple of Canadian bands here:
Frozen Shadows - Hantises
Operation Winter Mist - Winter Warfare II

Good cds.