Anyone into Mercyful Fate or King Diamond?

Schmidt_Rubin

Mar 18, 2006
Cape Cod
www.myspace.com
Two of my favorites are the Melissa album by Mercyful Fate and Graveyard by King Diamond. My tapes are old so I'll have to go out and get the cd's. Anyone know what are considered the best albums are by these bands?

my favorite Mercyful Fate is "Don't Break The Oath", was fortunate enough to see them do 2 shows in one night on that tour back in oct '84 at the country club in reseda, my friend recorded it with a walkman,and i took pix on a 110. also like "In The Shadows" & "9". also really like "Them" "Abigail" & "The Eye" by the King, if you really like King you should check out: King Diamond and Black Rose "20 Years Ago A Night Of Reahersal" it's keyboard driven hard rock with a cool groove, cool to hear king's roots..........................

I missed a good show a few years ago, Mercyful Fate opened for King Diamond at one of the big clubs in Boston.

So you play an Aria? I used to have a CS-250, pretty nice double cutaway guitar with good sounding electronics. My brother has a Les Paul, can't remember if it's a CS-450 or 500, but it's nice, the neck inlays look like a creeping vine.

Tell me more about the Reseda Country Club, Aria Pro II '65.That club no longer exists,it's now a Church.I work just a couple blocks away from it,and only got to go there in it's last days.The Country Club is pretty historic,as all the best metal bands went through there at one time or another.I wish I could have gone there to see Mercyful Fate back in '84.Oh well,thankfully there's Paladino's.

the country club was pretty cool, i live in chula vista (s.d. county) so it was a long haul to go see a show. would get a ride up with my friend. probably saw about 10 shows there, the night before or after m.f. we saw loudness(when they were still heavy) akira shreds! also slayer and dark angel, hirax, megadeth, destruction, cromags, grim reaper, exiter, can't remember everbody right now, but yea it was a cool place to see obscure metal shows, it had a section with tables and chairs to eat, the dancefloor up front, and a balcony, where i actually passed out during exiter,but thankfully snuck back in to see m.f's second show,cool memories and alot of great up close pictures.............................yea i have a pair of aria pro II urcin's .i love them, the electronics are great, they have super fast thin necks, and a pretty uniqe shape, one i bought new in '84 the other i got a couple years ago, in the last 22 years i've probably had 50 + axe's pass through my hands but i will probably always keep that first aria pro II.......................bill

King Diamond Fuckin' Rules!! my favorite is "Them" & "Abigail" but all his albums either on his own or with Fate have been consistene classic true Heavy Metal.My old roomate played King Diamond in a Mercyful Fate Tribute band called "HailSatan" thay opened for the Iron Maidens teh firts time tehy played San Fancisco.

Thanks for the cool info,Aria.Exciter at the Country Club! My favorite song from them is,"Pounding Metal"!You can't beat that chorus! And King Diamond/ Mercyful Fate,my favorite has got to be ,"Return of the Vampire"!

I loved Mercyful Fate and K.D. when I was much younger and way into metal. I worked for a Metal Blade band called Sentinel Beast back then and they opened for K.D. We hung out with his band and we had great fun. King Diamond is way short like 5'4". I was 15 or 16 and I towered over him. Cool guy! His drummer back then was Mickey Dee and he was telling me Nicko got him into Sonors and helped him get his endorsement. Great drummer too! What ever happened to that guy?

I agree, Melissa is a metal classic, and the falsetto is less over the top and so more bearable. It's been downhill for the King ever since then, his voice gets on my nerves.

Danny rctv said:
Where's Mickey Dee???He's been playing in Motorhead since 1992!!He joined MH after 4 years of playing in Don Dokken's band.
By the way I dig Sentinel Beast!Debbie Gunn's an old friend of mine!

Yeah, I'm kind of out of the loop with metal happenings these days unless it's about Maiden or Maiden related. I still love metal and always will, but I'm not like I was in high school. Mickey is an incredible drummer.
I used to be good friends with Debb, but after Beast we never stayed in touch. Do you know how to get in touch w/ her? I'd love to drop her a line and catch up. I still see Mike Spencer once in a while and that's about it. I heard Barry Fischel screwed up his musical career. Barry and I were good buds too.

kellver said:
I agree, Melissa is a metal classic, and the falsetto is less over the top and so more bearable. It's been downhill for the King ever since then, his voice gets on my nerves.

I agree about Melissa. GREAT ALBUM! A classic in my eyes. :headbang:

momadave said:
Yeah, I'm kind of out of the loop with metal happenings these days unless it's about Maiden or Maiden related. I still love metal and always will, but I'm not like I was in high school. Mickey is an incredible drummer.
I used to be good friends with Debb, but after Beast we never stayed in touch. Do you know how to get in touch w/ her? I'd love to drop her a line and catch up. I still see Mike Spencer once in a while and that's about it. I heard Barry Fischel screwed up his musical career. Barry and I were good buds too.

I ran into Debbie about 4 months ago at a Danzig show here in SF.We ahdn't seen each other in about 12 years.She's a redhead now & goes out withthe old drummer in Redrum.I gave her my card but didn't get her contact info doh!Did you know Biane berardi?I see her every once in a while at shows also.

Biane or Diane? I think that name sounds familiar. Debb is seeing Mike Parisi? He went to my high school. Man, I need to get in touch with her. ARGH!

Melissa is my favorite Mercyful Fate album, along with The Beginning. My favorite King Diamond albums are Abigal and The Puppet Master.

King has a hell of a live show, and I love when he ends them with Evil.