Arctopus review: Pitchfork blows one again

man sometimes pitchfork feels like a giant exercise in alternately reiterating or "bravely subverting" generalizations about scene and genre that are fucking useless in the first place.

essentially that guy is making fun of arctopus for blowing the grade curve - and ironically, using their technical prowess, which he implies they use as a free pass into legitimacy, as his own free pass to call their music illegitimate.

I only read reviews of records that I'm interested in over there, so that's one 3-5 a week tops.
I still think they've gotten better over the past year, but then shit like this gets published. it's just childish. at the same time, you also get crap like this in the village voice: http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0510,smith1,61833,22.html
I may not be a great writer, but at least I'm not pompous. and I actually talk about the music.

Well, its written by George Smith, whom I tried to argue with on ILX a couple of times and is so far far up his own ass that it is impossible to have a decent argument with...

yeah, that bit about Meshuggah really bothered me b/c anyone that's familiar with the band knows that they can be very goofy if they want to be. they are serious musicians, but they aren't like Deicide or Manowar or something. they can laugh at themselves.

The Death of Steve Sylvester.

Anyway, I really like the Arctopus, and if that jerk doesn't I'm not going to cry. I never take reviews very seriously, as describing music and it's effects on you is usually very misleading, but occasionally hilarious.

shit review. i have the ep and like it quite a bit. it's harder to get into that sort of thing on cd, but i'd imagine their live show is incredibly good.