AX7: It's time for us to find another drummer

iekobrid

Authorized XSr™ Dealer
Feb 2, 2006
Doogie Howser, MD
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=151089

' "When Mike agreed to tour with us, it was only through the end of 2010. We always knew we'd need to find another solution for 2011 and beyond. And it's time for us to take that next step.

"We know we are not ready to add another permanent member of AVENGED SEVENFOLD. We don't know if we will ever be. But if we do, it will only be with someone who is not only a brilliant drummer, but also someone we've gotten to know well on the road and off, and who you the fans have had a chance to get to know, and hopefully accept. '

' "Mike and the band agree that can't be him. Why? Long before there was an AVENGED SEVENFOLD, there were members of this band who looked up to Mike and, in Jimmy's case, learned a lot from watching Mike play. He is a brilliant writer, producer and, of course, drummer. Because of that, the world and we would always see it as AVENGED SEVENFOLD with Mike Portnoy.

"We take a lot of pride in AVENGED SEVENFOLD being about something greater than any individuals. '

:lol: rofl

How sad, he "quit" dream theater to focus on a7x and now they kick him out. hahaha. This literally made me laugh out loud.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=150802

Geezus, he's so full of wank. He seems to be competing with Ozzy Osbourne, Zakk Wylde and Lars Ulrich for the title of the "Who's the biggest parody of themselves in the metal world?".

The care factor for what Portnoy does next is zero now.
As far as I'm concerned, he played a big part in ruining Dream Theater's music and I don't exactly care for AX7 either.
The guy should honestly just quit playing drums professionally unless he can get his shit together.

I really want to defend him because he used to be/is a huge influence on my drumming and DT used to be God's to me.. but unfortunately I can't say I've liked anything he's done recently. However I wish him all the best, and hopefully he'll regain some of the magic he used to have. Unfortunately, perhaps drugs helped. It wouldn't be the first time.

:lol: rofl

How sad, he "quit" dream theater to focus on a7x and now they kick him out. hahaha. This literally made me laugh out loud.

Sorry but everything in this post is wrong.

Mike did not quit Dream Theater, he wanted to take time off to chill as he'd been working himself to the bone for that band, even when they weren't on tour/writing/recording he was always doing DT stuff. He told the band he needed a little time off after the A7X tour to recharge his batteries and they didn't want that, so they parted ways.

A7X did not kick him out, he had agreed to help them with touring until the end of 2010. It is now the end of 2010. What's so difficult to understand about that?

Who cares. They suck and Portnoy's a fucking douche.

Thank you for your insightful and mature addition to the discussion :rolleyes: I'm sure your band is much better as you've sold millions of records and toured the world. Oh wait...

Saw A7X touring with Stone Sour earlier in the year and it was one of the best gigs I've EVER been to.
I've seen Maiden, In Flames, Slipknot, Meshuggah, Motorhead, Priest, 36 Crazyfists, Arch Enemy, Killswitch Engage, Papa Roach, Machine Head and a whole shitload more that I cant even remember. Avenged Sevenfold can easily play with the big boys, they'll be headlining Festivals in a few years if they stay together.

The thing I will say though is that Mike did seem to think it was the Mike Portnoy show featuring Avenged Sevenfold, the guy spent all the gig showing off instead of just sitting down and playing his shit. Annoyed me a little.

You just used Papa Roach and Machine Head together in an assessment. Your point is fucking shot.

McDonald's selling a lot of burgers doesnt make them better than fucking anywhere. Another stupid fucking discussion point yet again. Oh so and so has sold a lot so they're great. Hannah Montana is better than Opeth, too, then...

Avenged Sevenfold sucks. Radio metal for boys and girls. Total shit.

And dont even start in on me about my additions to anything on this discussion board you moron. I got this shit started 9 years ago.

The plan was always for Mike and A7X to part ways at the end of 2010. He was only there temporarily, that was the agreement from day one, and they had a specific timeline that they have now finished carrying out. This isn't news, and it doesn't seem like there's any bad blood between Mike and his former bandmates.

As far as DT goes, as many of us have noticed, it seems there's been tension building within the band for a long time. Mike had an idea of how to try to fix it (take a break, work on other projects), and the rest of the band didn't like his idea, so they decided to carry on without him. They've all got families to feed and it only makes sense that DT carry on, because they're guaranteed to do better as a band than as a bunch of side projects, so I can't blame them at all for that. As a fan, I don't have any resentment toward DT or Mike, and I look forward to great music from everyone in the DT camp in the future.

The most annoying thing is watching fans take sides of a conflict that has already reached a win-win resolution.

Sorry but everything in this post is wrong.

Mike did not quit Dream Theater, he wanted to take time off to chill as he'd been working himself to the bone for that band, even when they weren't on tour/writing/recording he was always doing DT stuff. He told the band he needed a little time off after the A7X tour to recharge his batteries and they didn't want that, so they parted ways.

A7X did not kick him out, he had agreed to help them with touring until the end of 2010. It is now the end of 2010. What's so difficult to understand about that?

I realize he did not quit DT... that's why it was in quotes. They claimed it was a mutual split, but really, are you in the band? How do you know for sure he didn't quit and they made up some PR story to make the whole situation sound like fucking roses. With bands breaking up and splitting you never completely know the reasons and the complete story... it's always "he said, she said" shit. But whatever. And yeah, Mike was kicked out of A7X. It may have been expected, but he was still given the boot and not asked to stay. No need to rip everyone's posts to shreds. Fuck.

Portnoy seems to have quite the raging ego.

To be honest it doesn't look like A7X are in the wrong for giving him the boot - the guy does seem too "press release happy" in that he's been scrambling very publicly to get the best option for his ego for a while now; case in point, if he had seriously quit dream theater without assuming he was getting a better deal he wouldn't be groveling for his job back - the silly tool.

It may be a good thing for him to take this break while doing some less intensive side projects and hopefully practicing again. I know he stated in an interview that he doesn't have time to practice much anymore and I feel like some of his playing has shown that. It's a lot of the same thing over and over again or some less inspiring fills and what not.

It'd be great to see him get better and provide some really cool stuff on further songs he plays on.

You just used Papa Roach and Machine Head together in an assessment. Your point is fucking shot.

Sorry are papa roach not brootz enough for you? Sorry I listen to stuff that isn't trooo. Having a wider taste in music than teh metulz makes my opinion invalid I guess.
Anyone that I know that's seen papa roach live have agreed they are very good live, I suppose they're all wrong too? I guess the fact that I like bands like The Offspring and Sum 41 makes me a teeny bopper too huh?

If you're so proud of your contribution to this board then why not keep the standard up instead of jumping in a thread to add "A7X sucks and Portnoy is douche" ?

Mike was kicked out of A7X. It may have been expected, but he was still given the boot and not asked to stay.

Fulfilling the agreement he had with the band, in the timescale originally agreed upon is not being kicked out though, is it?

inside sources tell me DT has been rehearsing with John Malculuso, and that Mike is going to Johns for Christmas Dinner.

In addition saw Portnoy while he was in Vegas and he states him and DT both agree he WILL be back in the band by 2012, and maybe sooner then we all think.

All the drama was dreamed up by the DT fans vs AX7 fans. There has never been any drama in the DT or AX7 camp. Its all worked up by the bullshit fans.

Thats all I am saying on this .... quote me

News just in, Portnoy has tried to re-join Dream Theater only to be knocked back!

Saw that story.

MIKE PORTNOY: I Tried To Rejoin DREAM THEATER But Was Rebuffed

"Fairly recently, I reached out to the guys to try and make amends and offered to reconcile for the sake of having peace back in our lives… (plus I know how much it meant to a lot of the fans…)

"I figured it was still possible to try and save us, because they hadn't made any announcements yet or begun any public activity with another drummer… but sadly, they declined my offer (well, actually their lawyer did… they didn't even tell me themselves….)

"Sorry, gang, I honestly gave it my all