Bands Similar To Zero Hour?

sknight said:
I got Trinity last year and just couldn't figure it the hell out. Vince's vocals are total garbage, while Pat McGrath's drumming was phenomenal.

Pat McGrath, now thats a name I haven't heard in a long time. He is one of the best drummers I have ever heard. I used to jam with him in a band called Harum Scarum years ago. He used to go off into these Middle Eastern beats that just blew my mind. He is someone that needs to be in a band like ZH. He would be a good replacement for Mark Zonder. He is playing in a punkish type band now called American Made .

Yea, I seen Prototype a couple of times and I just didn't get them. They actually opened for NEVERMORE.

Well, Zonder is a pretty unique drummer. I don't think his strength is the hard-hitting stuff, as much as it is his ability to practically play a song all on his own with the more technical aspects of his drumming. I noted that he wasn't the hardest hitting guy, but he goes for lots of embellishment with the cymbals and sequences. He is truly one of the more brilliant drummers ever to grace metal and the only reason I had any interest in Fates Warning since Inside Out. Monument kills.

OK, so like I said, I was in Boston the other day and we have a killer used shop called Nuggets in Kenmore Square that has a $2 section. It's a hit or miss section, sometimes you go there and there nothing but crap, or albums you already have (which always sucks if you know you paid full price or a lot more than $2). Other times you go there and walk out with 50 CDs for $100! Sometimes they even have a 1/2 off sale, which is fucking retarded (which is a good thing). Anyway, I think the following applies to this thread.

Stride. I'd read the review on this band when someone else reviewed it on metalreviews.com and I remember not liking the tracks I listened to on the website, but looking back at my reply to that review I just said I keep meaning to check them out, so I think I must have been thinking of another band and actually never listened to them.

Anyway, I found Imagine in the used bin for $2. I remembered not liking it, but come on, it's two frickin' dollars!! But I was wrong. This CD smokes! It's much more neo-classical/power metal than it is heavy-tech, reminds me of Circus Maximus (another killer band) to an extent, but there's a lot of AOR. It's like a cross between the heaviness of Circus Maximus and the rock melodies of Journey! Definitely a killer, killer album. I'm glad I found it cheap otherwise I'd never have paid it any mind. So, if you haven't heard them yet, check 'em out!

From Imagine (2005)
h10147d4337.jpg

STRIDE - FACE THE DAY
STRIDE - ALIVE
STRIDE - ALIVE (full song, myspace link download pop-up thingy)

There are other tracks on their website. Their last album was all instrumental and there are samples there.

Another band I found for $2 is Canvas Solaris. This band has been mentioned here and at a few other sites and I said the same thing each time: they sound great, but I like vocals. Well, for $2 I like instrumental albums. The thing is, I actually truly like it for what it is...a lot! I think maybe my aversion to instrumental albums comes from self-indulgent wankfests like you get on something like a Yngwie instrumental or like a Jasun Tipton album :)rolleyes:), hahaha, just kidding (I actually got Seduction for $6 a while back at the same store)! It's also not boring and slow, you know? So anyway, very good CD, worth much more than $2, but again, I would not have given it any more attention had I seen for like $13.99. Because of this, I just ordered their other two albums here: http://www.tribunalrecords.net/pages/store/deals.html, you can grab them both for $10 plus $4 S&H. Not a bad deal at all.

So, for those interested:

From Penumbra Diffuse (2006):
h17632ig97o.jpg

CANVAS SOLARIS - PANORAMIC LOW-RANGE VERTIGO

NovAct is a band I'm looking into. Their CD is on order and I'm trying to see if I can get their 2003 promo under the name Morgana-X (huh?). Anyway, they seem wicked good! The singer has a unique voice and the songs and melodies are killer. I can't wait to get the CD so I can listen to the whole thing! If you've never heard them, give them a shot, you may like them.

From Tales From The Soul (2005):
g67204da3pb.jpg

NOVACT - THE RIDER *
NOVACT - SHARPLY CONDEMNED (shoddy video clip)

* I can't stand it when a band does the radio channel surfing thing at the beginning of songs! Cut the shit, bands! It's been done way too much!!

From Promo 2003 (2003...duh!):

NOVACT - ETERNAL LIFE

spatch said:
There is a lot of good instrumental stuff out and about that does not fall into the wank fest section
I have no doubt. A lot of this kind of music is sort of new to my ears, the heavier kind of tech/prog stuff. I've always listened to the more power metal type of prog-metal, so I know there's a lot I don't know about.

sknight said:
Got Redemption's album.

I can't stop playing it.
An amazing band! I can't wait for the new one. Check out their myspace page, you can download their cover of Faith No More's "The Real Thing." The beginning has some weird sounds in it, but overall it's a killer cover.

Man, what a thread! I can't believe all those names that haven't been mentioned haven't been mentioned.

My taste is very, very weird. I mean, sure, prog metal, and I love Zero Hour (and I can't fucking wait for October), but I listen to lots and lots of stuff that doesn't fit into any categories. (nb: I'm not really mentioning any of that stuff here; that would be stuff like maudlin of the Well and Genghis Tron and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Hieronymus Bosch and so on. I'm trying (and failing ;P) to stick to stuff that somehow sounds like ZH here ;)) Now I kind of understood that you like straight clean vocals, and it'd be a shame if that should be reason enough for you to not like some (most) of the bands I will mention. I'll try to make it clear which band has a cookie monster singing for them and who has the nice melodic human beings ;)

Okay, I'll start out with some of the most obscure stuff:

Behold... The Arctopus! What can you possibly say about a band that has recorded songs with names such as "You Will Be Reincarnated As An Imperial Attack Spaceturtle"? Not really much ;) Basically, there's only one EP: "Nano-Nucleonic Cyborg Summoning" (man I wished I'd be making this shit up ;P). What do they sound like? Insane. Very very technical, but always in a sort of funny way, where they're not as much wanking on their guitars as really having fun. If you know Dysrhythmia (and if you don't, check them out as well! Just as insane, just as instrumental, only more rock than metal), think Dysrhythmia plus a dash of insane heavy metal. And yes, they're instrumental. No cookie monster here ;P

Prototype are definitely awesome! Check out their new album Continuum as well. Evidently they're just a little too mainstream for my tastes (at least to be as godly in my opinion as ZH are), but they are a great band and awesome at what they're doing.

Now let's mention a few techdeath bands I love. Cryptopsy are the number one technical death metal band. No one gets close to them. No one reaches their ankles standing on tiptoe. They are insane, fucking fast, and as brutal as a band can be without personally appearing and breaking your bones one by one. They make Death Machine look like The Spice Girls. Just listen to WE BLEED from And Then You'll Beg (it's on their official website, www.cryptopsy.net), and you'll need to know no more.

I'll just throw a few more names of techdeath bands out there, for anyone interested in this type of music looking to discover more stuff: Theory in Practice, Amoral, All Shall Perish, Symbyosis, Cephalic Carnage, Gojira, Bloodbath, Sybreed, Spawn of Possession, Psycroptic, Behemoth, Necrophagist, Yattering, Psyopus. Have I mentioned I quite like this kind of music? ;P

Into Eternity deserve a special mention because they're special. But you've probably heard of them already since they're BIG now ;) Anyhoo, they are KIND of progressive death metal, but very very melodic and harmonic and their trademark are passages where up to 4 band members sing their own vocal lines. Great stuff, check them out!

Of course since we're talking basic technical metal too, you must know Watchtower, Spastic Ink, Ron Jarzombek's solo stuff, and the German band Sieges Even which started out as a Watchtower ripoff back in the 80s and is now doing its very own thing, having most recently delivered their killer album "The Art Of Navigating By The Stars", which is definitely my album of the year 2005. Very melodic, beautiful, progressive metal, always focussing on very interesting song structures. Man I can't talk about music worth shit. Get Art of Navigating... and stop asking questions. It's nothing like ZH at all, but it's fucking brilliant anyway.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the very obvious Power of Omens! They've split up, unfortunately, but I hear their singer has found a new home ;)

I decided there should be an "In Flames like nwosmdm" section as well, since someone mentioned Communic (whom I'm going to see live at Prog Power Europe 2006--which is also the festival that introduced me to ZH back in 2001 :D). These bands are all rather similar but also all very awesome. Most of them have clean vocals, sometimes a bit of screaming/grunting. Here we go: Withering Surface, Diablo, Scar Symmetry, Mnemic, Susperia, Soilwork, Mercenary. All these guys are continuing the tradition that In Flames set up and then betrayed when they went britpop.

I just realized none of these are really like Zero Hour, but hey, you started it with Communic ;)

Here's a fucking unique band that you might enjoy: Ephel Duath. Hailing from Italy, they play something that's oddly between hardcore, death metal, and lounge jazz. No, I'm not on anything ;) Check them out!

Of course everyone knows Meshuggah (hey, we're approaching ZH-likeness again ;P), but does everyone also know that Meshuggah are going to retire after listening to Textures, a dutch band that decided to do what Meshuggah used to do, and better? Now you do!

Two bands that I couldn't fit anywhere but that are also essential: Extol, Christian Metal that reminds of Opeth (just in CASE there's a single person left on this planet who has not heard of Opeth--drop whatever you're doing, stop worrying about your hair being on fire or the alligator chewing on your leg and IMMEDIATELY get their whole discography and listen to it ten times in a row. You will thank me. They are the most awesome band in the world) (sorry ZH guys; you're in the top 5! ;P) in how they oscillate between moods. And then there's the awesomely funny Freak Kitchen with exceptional guitarist Matthias Ia Eklund (who also has a solo project called Freak Guitar--the sounds this guy gets out of a guitar, it's incredible).

Man I've got to stop or I never will. Music is awesome.

Edit: okay, I've got to add Orphaned Land. Awesome progressive metal from Israel with a lot of Israel-type world music going on in the songs. All done now ;)

Hey Bringa, Textures is a great band! I heard them on some internet radio and was like "what the fuck!?!??!" Meshuggah rules, so does Scar Symmetry and Mnemic.
Neuraxis is a good technical brutal death metal band from Canada if anyone is interested in that sort of thing. I just recently found out about them and need to pick up their albums.
Thanks everyone for all these kick ass recommendations. I think I'll be going broke very very soon haha.

wow. i just wrote a huge post and lost it while trying to put it up. let me see if this works before i try again. :(

Ok, quick summary of my formerly well thought out post:

I like this thread. Thanks esp. to eyesore for posting sound clips. Power of Omens was mentioned by Bringa and is highly recommended by me. They are ultra-technical prog metal. (And for those who don't know, the new singer for ZH is from Power).

Pain of Salvation are a Swedish prog metal outfit with very impressive eclectic musianship. Vocals are great, sometimes like Mike Patton of FNM but never sound like a rip-off. Very, very original and surprisingly listenable music.

Andromeda are fantastic and the guitar work is excellent. All music written by Johan Reinholds - genius. Check out the sound clips on their site: andromedaonline.com

Cynic are essential to your collection, if only for historical significance, but you'll probablly love 'em! Beautiful fusion of jazz, metal, death, prog etc. Has both synthesized and throat vocals (but quite listenable and mild throat). Very inventive - insane for it's time! ;)

Symphony X are awesome, but you probably all know that.

peace. for now.

Behold... The Arctopus Are really great and Spastic Ink well just awasome in a really sick way; some of the playing is just so ott I love it! Also enjoy Orhaned Land such a mad CD with some interesting middle east vibes (sure Jasun would dig this) So much good music around just not enough money to buy it all Bringa great selection You rule

So, I'm not sure if anyone will check this thread since it's been a while now. But there's this (German) band called Jester's Funeral. They're a thrash and Melodic Death (like In Flames) influenced metal band with progressive elements. I'm not sure how their first two albums are, but for their third, they could not find a record deal they could work with, so they said "screw it", offered the entire CD for download from their website, and broke up! This is unfortunate, definitely, but download the CD and if you like it, buy their others (new) to support the fallen band! It's got gritty clean vox (a little like Hettfield) and also throat vox. Very crunchy and compelling riffage. ;) Check it out; why not? It's free! site: jestersfuneral.de

This sounds like it's going to be AWESOME!!

INSTINCT SOLITAIRE
TORRENTS

TWISTED INTO FORM - Then Comes Affliction to Awaken the Dreamer

Release: September 19, 2006

Twisted Into Form has risen to challenge all listeners as they break the confinement of technical metal to offer intense, complex and emotive pieces of music that defy categorization.

The band consists of former Spiral Architect guitarist Kaj Gornitzka, Extol drummer David Husvik, bassist Erik Aadland and original Spiral Architect session vocalist Leif J. Knashaug.

The members started their collaboration in 2000. From the onset, it was determined that the band's mission was to create music that fused the intensity of jazz/fusion and technical metal while conjuring extraordinary emotions through each musician's contribution. Years of rehearsals ensued. Once the material started to take form, it was decided that no demo was to be released. The band decided to opt for a full length album and get the appropriate label to release it upon completion. The album was recorded over the period of January 2004 to March 2006.

Twisted into Form chose to record the album at MultiMono Studio (run by Spiral Architect drummer Asgeir Mickelson) as one of the first bands to work there. As the band has always opted for unconventional solutions, this studio was chosen to make sure that the recordings would get the attention as well as unique sound they deserved. Drums were recorded at TopRoom Studio (Mayhem, Borknagar, Extol, etc) prior to the completion of MultiMono Studio.

Once the recordings were finished, several appropriate labels were considered. The band chose to collaborate with Sensory Records (Spiral Architect, Gordian Knot, Zero Hour, et al) for the release of the album.

For final mixing, Sensory and the band agreed that noted producer Neil Kernon (Spiral Architect, Nevermore, Queensryche, Cannibal Corpse, etc) would be the ideal person to do the final mix, as he was completely in tune with the band's desire to grant the material the unique representation it craved.

The finished effort is titled "Then Comes Affliction To Awaken The Dreamer". Five years in the making, the album positions itself as a poignant alternative for all listeners demanding musical experiences that are not sanctioned by convention.

Not necessarily similar to Zero Hour. However, if you want great, technical Metal with amazing guitar work and strong vocals... Control Denied's The Fragile Art of Existence. It's a buy or die release.

Zod