Behemoth - The Satanist

It is a good album but more of a novelty to me in the sense that "wow, Behemoth actually put out a good record again" more than "I enjoy listening to this a lot". So far, 2014 is continuing 2013's streak of killer release after killer release so I haven't found much reason to come back to this one much.

I'm gonna have to backtrack on this statement. I decided to revisit it earlier this month, which turned into revisiting it twice, which turned into twenty times. This is a very strong album and I'd say it's the best album they've ever made.

pro Illuminati/elite
Care to elaborate?

I'm gonna have to backtrack on this statement. I decided to revisit it earlier this month, which turned into revisiting it twice, which turned into twenty times. This is a very strong album and I'd say it's the best album they've ever made.
Agreed. When you listen to this record, you get the sense that everything on it is exactly as it was intended. As if it was a musician realizing his musical vision in entirety. Whether it's breaking down musical barriers, by placing bluesy solos in a Black Metal song or just the creation of that whole "end of days" vibe so many bands shoot for, but fall short of. They just feel comfortable in their own skin.

To follow up on my comments from April - I was actually able to see them in Minnesota. And the newer songs (particularly O Father O Satan O Sun) were the ones that were a joy to see live. I was totally stoked for the new material. Not many bands can do that. I do agree that this album holds up.

I felt you were a bit unduly harsh with your initial comments so I'm glad to hear you now hear the same level of awesome that the rest of us do.

BEHEMOTH ANNOUNCES NORTH AMERICAN TOUR WITH MYRKUR; BAND TO PLAY THE SATANIST IN ITS ENTIRETY; THE CONGREGATION EXHIBITION TO APPEAR AT ALL DATES

"...Polish death/black metal outfit, Behemoth, has announced their return to North America this spring with a special tour, featuring support from Myrkur. With plans to play their latest album, The Satanist, in its entirety, the journey - which runs from April 21st through May 7th - is one not to be missed!...."

behemothtourjan.jpg

Tour dates:

April
21 - Theatre Of The Living Arts - Philadelphia, PA
22 - Webster Hall - New York, NY
23 - Royale - Boston, MA
25 - Virgin Mobile Corona Theatre - Montreal, QC
26 - The Phoenix Concert Theater - Toronto, ON
27 - St. Andrews Hall - Detroit, MI
29 - Thalia Hall - Chicago, IL
30 - Mill City Nights - Minneapolis, MN

May
1 - The Granada Theater - Lawrence, KS
3 - The Gothic Theatre - Denver, CO
4 - The Complex - Salt Lake City, UT
6 - The Regency Ballroom - San Francisco, CA
7 - The Observatory - Santa Ana, CA

I've had the album for quite awhile and love it. However it is the only Behemoth album I have. I need some recommendations for the best of their catalogue please.

I've had the album for quite awhile and love it. However it is the only Behemoth album I have. I need some recommendations for the best of their catalogue please.
You're going to get different feedback from people who prefer their various eras, as they've not just evolved over the years, but shifted fairly drastically from black metal to blackened death metal to modern death metal. I personally enjoy their first two eras more than the others, and from those, I'd say that the run of Satanica, Thelema.6, Zos Kia Cultus, and Demigod is their peak. Satanica was the first shift away from black metal and they more or less perfected that sound with ZKC. Demigod was beginning the shift into their newer era but still has some fantastic songs.

If you enjoy their sound on The Satanist, you're likely to enjoy the prior couple of albums (The Apostasy and Evangelion) but I'd recommend checking out Zos Kia Cultus and seeing if that strikes your fancy.