Best LIVE gig you've seen

In recent times I would have to say Scorpions in Southampton in 2008 I think it was (my memory isn't what it used to be)

Black Sabbath/Testament at the Mayflower in Southampton in 1992 was awesome.......as was Van Halen at the NEC, Birmingham in the same year.

Wow, this is a tough cookie for me! Don't think I could pick just one, so here's a few that have been particularly special for me:

Metallica - Leeds Festival - 2003

Basically what got me into Metal and developed the interest in seeing Metal bands live.

Anthrax - Corporation, Sheffield - 2006

This was my first "local" gig and for it to be one of my very favourite bands at the time made this particularly special for me. Plus the setlist was perfect.

Dragonforce/Sabaton - 02 Academy, Sheffield - 2009

During my two year period of bumming Dragonforce (I still like them, just haven't listened to them for a while!) and having just got into Sabaton, this show was perfectly timed for me. Sabaton were way better than I expected them to be and although it was my fourth time seeing Dragonforce, not only was the setlist brilliant but it felt particularly special as it was the best venue for them that I had seen them at and as local as it gets for me as well.

Cannibal Corpse - Corporation, Sheffield - 2009

Aside from being a big fan of this band, there was something about the sheer intensity of this gig that made it feel particularly special. I've never seen so many crowd-surfers at a gig, must have been at least 50! Partly because of this, I feel a sense of achievement in that I managed to survive being front row centre throughout the entire gig, but I was struggling towards the end, I took that many knocks and had more than a fair share of bruises the next day as a result!

Annihilator - Corporation, Sheffield - 2010

Several reasons for this being particularly special. Firstly, it came about at just the right time, as I was mega into Annihilator at the time and was really impressed by the latest album (well, still am!). The setlist was brilliant, hearing two of their best ballads one after the other was an amazing experience, but probably most of all, I've never been been impressed by one single person performing as I was by Jeff Waters that night. I cannot understate how under-rated the band and Waters in particular are in my opinion, especially live.

Stratovarius in September 2009. Absolutely phenomenal!

Other close gigs include Sonata Arctica in April 2010, Blind Guardian in November 2010, and Gamma Ray just a couple weeks ago.

I gotta have a top three...

The first time I saw Nightwish (May 2008) because it was my first concert and first VIP experience, so I was beyond excited before the show even began. Then setlist was almost perfect, and John Two-Hawks joined them for Creek Mary's Blood, it was incredible.

Ensiferum (November 2009) because they played all my favorite songs including the amazing Lai Lai Hei. It was the most exhausting show I've ever been to. And at the end I got handed a guitar pick from Markus.

If we're counting VIP experiences as part of the gig, then Gamma Ray (February 2011) is my last pick. If not I would say Edguy (September 2009) because they're my favorite band of all time and I never thought I'd get a chance to see them. I was in the front row and Eggi and I made faces at each other the whole time. Tobi was his usual crazy self. And this is the story of how much of a creeper fangirl I am. At one point he made the mistake of placing his foot too near the edge of the stage so I naturally took the opportunity to touch his leg. He looked at me and sang the next line of the song to me. The crazy thing is I can't for my life remember which song it was. My best guess is Babylon based on the time, but I guess I was too starstruck at that moment to pay attention to the words he was singing. XD

Power Quest w/ Pagan's Mind + The Prophecy - Bradford Rios, 2006 - with gf, classic lineup, played all my faves, met the band after, got everything signed. Best gig ever.

Judas Priest w/ Megadeth + Testament - Sheffield, 2009

Sabaton w/ Alestorm + Thaurorod - Frankfurt, 2010 or Blind Guardian w/ Steelwing + Van Canto - Langen, 2010

Hmmm...hard to say but probably Iron Maiden at Earl's Court, London on 23rd December 2006. Special gig because everyone was in good spirits and I got Steve's wristband and a couple of guitar picks.

Power Quest w/ Pagan's Mind + The Prophecy - Bradford Rios, 2006 - with gf, classic lineup, played all my faves, met the band after, got everything signed. Best gig ever.

Judas Priest w/ Megadeth + Testament - Sheffield, 2009

Sabaton w/ Alestorm + Thaurorod - Frankfurt, 2010 or Blind Guardian w/ Steelwing + Van Canto - Langen, 2010

Cool, I was also in attendance for the Priest gig! Now that you've reminded me about it I would definitely put that as one of my best too, basically three of my very favourite bands playing and...well...it's Priest!

Dream Theater at Newcastle City Hall on 9th June 2007 where they played a special setlist including Images & Words in it's entirety (if I remember correctly it was their warm-up show before Download)

Genesis at Old Trafford on 7th July 2007 - Absolutely stunning show and amazing atmosphere

Top 5:

1. '88 Monster of Rock in Willem II football stadium.
Headlining Maiden with 7th son, Kiss (yuck, but dah well), Helloween with Kiske, Anthrax with state of Euphoria, David Lee roth & Great white.
My first concert ever, and it never got any better :)

2. Agent Steel reunion on Wacken Open Air '97. Actually made me cry to hear them play again even if it was without Cyriis.

3. Dream Evil in Camden Londen. Never been to England before, nice country great city and the show was good. All in all it was a great day.

4. Dee Schnider on Bang Your head festival in 2002 I think. No better front man than Dee, simple it was raining like hell and nobody cared Dee knows how to play any crowd and makes every concert one to rember.

5. Any Evergrey concert. They are crazy but in a nice and intelligent way. Allways much of smart-ass jokes in between and they know how to perform. You come back from the concert with a smile and fun memories.

Cool, I was also in attendance for the Priest gig! Now that you've reminded me about it I would definitely put that as one of my best too, basically three of my very favourite bands playing and...well...it's Priest!

The Metal Gods are an experience every metalhead owes themselves, especially with their epitaph tour coming up :erk: It worries me that I'll never get the time or money together to go see Ozzy or Metallica or Mötorhead, etc, etc before they pack it in. Too many of my idols are averaging 60 years old! And of course I have to live with the misery of never having seen Dio, Pantera, Dionysus, Deep Purple/Rainbow, and so on :(

As long as tickets are cheap, I may consider seeing Priest, since I've never seen Motorhead, Ozzy, Sabbath, Dio, Maiden, Metallica, etc...

I was there too, I couldn't believe how poor the turn out was considering who was on the bill. I bumped into Chuck Billy in The Noose and Gibbet Inn after the show too :lol:

3. Dream Evil in Camden Londen. Never been to England before, nice country great city and the show was good. All in all it was a great day..

If that was the show where Conquest of Steel opened, I remember that. that was such a fun show! great showmanship by both bands!