Best of 2013

I can probably only rank my top 5, and this order is subject to what day of the week it is. Here's today's ranking:

5. Votum/Harvest Moon - Such beauty in the arrangements and so lush of a production. Great moody piece of music that I can keep on repeat.

4. Sacred Mother Tongue/Out of the Darkness - This is some ripping, riffing borderline metal with nice grooves.

3. Twelve Foot Ninja/SIlent Machine - This was released in the US this year but was in Australia late 2012. Whatever, this is awesome. It mixes a lot of styles that shouldn't work at all into a cohesive, melodic, funky cacophony of badassery.

2. Caligula's Horse/The Tide - Great, great stuff. Reminds me of mixing Wolverine's Still with Tesseract and Gentle Giant. I need to get the previous one as this is just so dense and full of win.

1. Tesseract/Altered State - THis was an impulse buy at a local FYE. Best brick and mortar purchase I've made in years. This is so freakin slick and jazzy with it's punishing bass lines, ambient keys, down-tuned guitars and some empassioned vocals. Every bit of this is pure class.

Guess it's kinda apparent which of the P's in ProgPower I represent huh? It really was a great year for me overall, and these are the five that stood out among the rest.

I'm the same way. A lot of prog just seems too samey to me, though I wouldn't put Leprous in that category. I agree with that Ghost album being VERY progressive but like actually progressive instead of it just being a label.

What??? I enjoyed that record kind a lot but literally sounding like 1975 is the exact opposite of "actually progressive", and it has nothing to do with the actual genre (like idk, jam sections, long songs, non traditional rock structures).

My top ten metal albums of the year.

736197_10202394444803710_1455071304_o.jpg

and the runner ups.

977054_10202411382827150_1806890594_o.jpg

Borknagar came out last year brev!

What??? I enjoyed that record kind a lot but literally sounding like 1975 is the exact opposite of "actually progressive", and it has nothing to do with the actual genre (like idk, jam sections, long songs, non traditional rock structures).

It's a very atmospheric album that sort of goes all over the place but works. It's progressive in the sense of the sense that you didn't know where it was going to go from one moment to the next.

new addition....

1)Wolfheart – Winterborn
2)De Van - Current end of Days
3)Volbeat- Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies
4)Týr – Valkyrja
5)Amon Amarth - Deceiver of The Gods
6)Stratovarius- Age of Nemesis
7)Helker - En Algún Lugar del Circulo/ Somewhere In The Circle
8)Keldian – Outbound
9)WarCry – Inmortal -
10)Dark Avenger - Tales of Avalon - The Lament
11)Violator - Scenarios Of Brutality

1: Shade Empire - Omega Arcane
An amazingly creative blend of death metal with a full symphony orchestra, number one by a large margin. Blew my mind when I first heard it and still does every time

2: Gloryhammer - Tales From the Kingdom of Fife
Yes, I know they're kind of a joke band, but this album is so much fun I don't care. They know exactly how ridiculous they are, and they don’t give a god damn.

3: The Browning - Hypernova
This one came out of nowhere, it's kind of deathcore mixed with a lot of electronic elements. Wins a high spot because of the high energy they bring to the table and how creatively they mix the guitars and the electronics.

4: Serenity - War of Ages
War of Ages is a showcase for everything I love about symphonic power metal. Big wide-open songs with soaring vocals and expertly applied keyboards throughout.

5: Soilwork - The Living Infinite
I had given Soilwork up for lost years ago, but this whole album is a brick of dynamite. Not so much a return to form as it is just the best thing they've ever done.

6: Dark Tranquillity - Construct
DT never disappoints. Exactly what I've come to expect from them and one of their strongest albums overall.

7: Circle of Illusion - Jeremias
This didn’t make much noise when it was released, but damn if it isn’t my favorite prog album of the year. It just flows so smoothly throughout, one of those prog albums you really have to listen to in one sitting to fully appreciate.

8: Starkill - The Fires of Life
American newbies play European-style melodic death with a heavy keyboard element. Well worth checking out if you’ve never heard of them, I think these kids are going places if this is what they’re capable of with a debut.

9: Ashes of Ares - Ashes of Ares
It's so great to hear one of my favorite singers of all time stretch his voice and go new directions with it.

10: Pellek - Ocean of Opportunity
What can I say? Pellek is a god. Not only is his voice terrific as always, but the instruments shine as well. Very creative and excellent work throughout.

11: Lord - Digital Lies
This album was a long time coming and well worth the wait. I’ve always liked guitar-centered power metal, and Lord is one of my favorite examples of it. A fast-paced and exciting metal album.

12: Enshine - Origin
Ambient prog with harsh vocals, with atmosphere so thick you can cut it with a knife. If you like Atoma, you need this. Period.

13: Chthonic - Bu-Tik
A terrific achievement in melodic death metal, everything clicks with this release and Chthonic has achieved all-new heights.

14: Tesseract - Altered State
I liked their debut, but this is a huge step beyond that. They took everything about the first album that worked, threw out what didn’t, and made an album that reflects the absolute best they have to offer.

15: Darkane - The Sinister Supremacy
Darkane is back! While it doesn’t quite approach the transcendent awesomeness of Layers of Lies, they still deliver a cutting edge blast of thrashy melodeath as always.

16: Damnations Day - Invisible, The Dead
Outstanding vocals power this album. It’s full of catchy songs with great vocal hooks delivered with authority.

17: Dark Moor - Ars Musica
I’ve never been a huge Dark Moor fan, but this album blew me away. Fantastic power metal throughout, “The Road Again” is one of the most addictive songs of the year for me.

18: Shining - One One One
What a blast this album is! Another example of the phenomenal diversity and creativity I’ve heard this year, One One One is a high-energy, passionate work of art.

19: Revamp - Wild Card
Floor Jansen showcases her vast range of both style and emotion on the new Revamp disc. A total class act.

20: Earthtone9 - IV
Up until a few weeks ago, I thought this band had broken up and was gone forever. I was so pleasantly surprised to hear that not only have they reunited, but they’ve just released their best album yet.

Overall, I think this was an awesome year for metal. Last year had a few great releases and a bunch of good to mediocre ones, but the lineup for 2013 was as deep as I've seen in a very long time. I usually only do a top ten, but there were just too many good ones that would have been left out if I had.

I've barely listened to enough new releases to even make a top 5, but I have to say my Number One album of 2013 is Stratovarius's Nemesis. From the minute I put it in I knew it would be a great record. Almost a year after release and I still can't get some of those choruses out of my head. I'd stand behind every song on there, even the two bonus tracks on the version I bought. I'm liking how they've been since they dumped Tolkki, hopefully they keep it up.

3: The Browning - Hypernova
This one came out of nowhere, it's kind of deathcore mixed with a lot of electronic elements. Wins a high spot because of the high energy they bring to the table and how creatively they mix the guitars and the electronics.

I liked the album, but I found that it always gave me a headache half way through lol.

Looking at my list, I probably missed out on a lot. No real new band made my list, nor did I own many.

1. Kingcrow - In Crescendo
2. Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep
3. Haken - The Mountain
4. Orphaned Land - All Is One
5. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing
6. Riverside - Shrine Of New Generation Slaves
7. Leperous - Coal
8. The Winery Dogs - S/T
9. Cythesis - ReRevolution
10. Dream Theater - S/T

The top 8 on my list are really incredible albums, outside of those the year wasn't as strong for me as usual. I also spent a lot less time trying to discover new music than in years past, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

20. Lalu - Atomic Ark
19. Dream Theater - Dream Theater
18. Subsignal - Paraiso
17. The Aurora Project - Selling the Aggression
16. Boil - Axiom
15. Prospekt - The Colourless Sunrise
14. The Red Paintings - The Revolution's Never Coming
13. Votum - Harvest Moon
12. James Blake - Overgrown
11. The Dear Hunter - Migrant
10. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing
09. Kingcrow - In Crescendo